IGNORED

Activision Music Studio

Well, getting ever-so-close to having a setup for MIDI/music work on my Atari ST (contemplating getting just a 25 or 37-key keyboard controller and a Yamaha FB-01 due to space restrictions), and fiddling around with an image of "Activision Music Studio" that I downloaded.

Now the thing is, how do I make use of the MIDI feature of this program? I've been testing it out since it's seemingly-easy-to-use, but I know you guys have something more sophisticated in mind to upgrade to (feel free to suggest something for the ST when it's time to advance from AMS).

Well, getting ever-so-close to having a setup for MIDI/music work on my Atari ST (contemplating getting just a 25 or 37-key keyboard controller and a Yamaha FB-01 due to space restrictions), and fiddling around with an image of "Activision Music Studio" that I downloaded.

Now the thing is, how do I make use of the MIDI feature of this program? I've been testing it out since it's seemingly-easy-to-use, but I know you guys have something more sophisticated in mind to upgrade to (feel free to suggest something for the ST when it's time to advance from AMS).

I played with it once with my Casio keyboard. Just hooked it up to MIDI and there was a menu setting to enable MIDI for output. Worked great! Planned to get into it/learn but have not as of yet...

I used The Music Studio a long time ago as my main music program. It was either The Music Studio ($60) or Notator ($700) - nothing in between impressed me. :|

Don't use the MIDI input feature - it's useless. I struggled with it for a long time and gave up. :(

The Music Studio has the best manual note-by-note entry system I've used (even better than Notator). Basically, pick a note, place it on the staff - that's it. I wish all music programs were like this. Why does every program insist on auto-correction everything? :?

You'll want to use Track mode. This allows up to 4 tracks to be used. Great for multiple instrument arrangements. The colors may be hard to distinguish (track #14 and 15 shades of blue are too close), so watch for that. So, I remember using instrument 15 for drumson track 4, and instrument one on track 1 for vocals, and other instruments in between on the other two tracks.

To assign which patch on the FB01 will play on which track, go to MIDI Parameters. This will list all 15 instruments, their name, MIDI channel, patch number and octave range of each track. It should be pretty easy to figure out.

If you like The Music Studio and want to upgrade, I recommend Cubase Lite. You can download it off of Tim's Atari MIDI World. It has great real-time entry, lots of tracks and a score editor to edit your music.

Ah.. I was wondering since I saw an old episode of "The Computer Chronicles" featuring AMS with the following devices hooked up to the 520ST:

Casio CZ-1

Yamaha TX-7

Yamaha RZ-17

some latin percussion box

And since the guy from Activision was playing his version of "Axel-F" in the software, I thought one would make use of the keyboard for recording.

Anyways.. there a link to Music Studio's manual so I can learn how to use it better?