IGNORED

A8 -> Atari 2600 port II

Cybergoth

Which of these A8 classics would you like to see on the 2600?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these A8 classics would you like to see on the 2600?

• Bristles
    • Salmon Run
    • Squish 'Em
    • Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory
    • O'Riley's Mine
    • Preppie
    • Pinball Construction Set
    • Shamus
    • Shamus: Case 2
    • Wavy Navy

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I voted for Pinball Construction Set because I can't see how it would work on the 2600. After failing with that one, then try a more manageable game for the 2600. My favorite: Murder On The Zinderzeuf. Of course both would need the expanded RAM and ROM bankswitching.

For those of us (like me) unfamiliar with these titles...

Bristles

Salmon Run

Squish'em!

Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory

O'Riley's Mine

Preppie!

Pinball Construction Set

Shamus

Shamus - Case II

Wavy Navy

Can't seem to get Salmon Run or Preppie to work, however. (Admittedly, I never owned an Atari computer, so I'm flying kind of blind here.)

Edited by Nathan Strum

Preppie appears to be Frogger (sorta). True?

There are some differences. The goal is to retrieve one or more golf balls and return them to the bottom of the screen.

Different enough to not *quite* be a clone, but...:ponder:

The real distinctive of Preppie is the music and clever graphics/theme.

Preppie appears to be Frogger (sorta). True?

There are some differences. The goal is to retrieve one or more golf balls and return them to the bottom of the screen.

Different enough to not *quite* be a clone, but...:ponder:

The real distinctive of Preppie is the music and clever graphics/theme.

:rolling:

Thats like trying to say KC Munchkin isnt a clone of Pac Man because the dots move.

What happens when you try to run those two games?

Nothing happens with Preppie, but I don't know if I'm supposed to do anything other than click "Insert" and select the cassette image. (I'm using Atari800MacX.)

For Salmon Run, it decompressed into salmon.com, and the emulator just crashes when I try to run it as a disk. As a cart or cassette, it does nothing at all.

Edit: Rather, the emulated machine crashes - not the emulator itself.

Edited by Nathan Strum

What happens when you try to run those two games?

Nothing happens with Preppie, but I don't know if I'm supposed to do anything other than click "Insert" and select the cassette image. (I'm using Atari800MacX.)

Cassette images take forever to load. Once you insert it, look for an option (in one of the menus) to "Run Atari As Fast As Possible" or some such.

Beyond that...I dunno. I use Atari800Win; I'm not sure of the differences between the two emulators. I do know that Atari800Win has an option in the File menu, "Autoboot image." You might try that. EDIT: Or...you might need to attach ("insert") the cassette image, then reboot the Atari (Cold Reset) so it boots off of the cassette drive. I'm not sure, since I never had a cassette drive for my Atari. :)

For Salmon Run, it decompressed into salmon.com, and the emulator just crashes when I try to run it as a disk. As a cart or cassette, it does nothing at all.

That's cuz a .com image is just a file, not a cart, cassette, or disk :D. Try "Load Executable" (or "Autoboot").

Edited by vdub_bobby

Cassette images take forever to load. Once you insert it, look for an option (in one of the menus) to "Run Atari As Fast As Possible" or some such.

Beyond that...I dunno. I use Atari800Win; I'm not sure of the differences between the two emulators. I do know that Atari800Win has an option in the File menu, "Autoboot image." You might try that. EDIT: Or...you might need to attach ("insert") the cassette image, then reboot the Atari (Cold Reset) so it boots off of the cassette drive. I'm not sure, since I never had a cassette drive for my Atari. :)

Either of these methods will work with A800WinPlus - don't know about the Mac version, but I assume it's similar.

.cas images actually load very quickly if the "SIO patch" option is selected. There are a few cassette images that are incompatible with the patch, but that's a rare problem.

Finally figured it out... I needed to click on the "Break" key. :roll:

Preppie is so-so. It's a Frogger clone, but with decent graphics. I think they could have come up with a more original game for that concept. The idea of having to retrieve golf balls is a good one, but I think it would have been better if you were on a driving range, dodging incoming drives.

That's cuz a .com image is just a file, not a cart, cassette, or disk :D. Try "Load Executable" (or "Autoboot").

That did the trick! :thumbsup: Salmon Run needs a lot of polish, but it's a cute idea. Kind of like River Raid, with fish.

Thanks for the help!