IGNORED

Raiden for Atari Lynx: is this game a fake or a good bargain?

GuybrushThreepwood

It's ok, Raiden was released after Atari dropped it, Telegames picked it up (Telegames released many Lynx games later on eproms). Look here for another Telegames game on eprom:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101240

Pretty good deal, but bummer he only sells within France, not abroad, otherwise I'd bid

Edited by thomasholzer

It's ok, Raiden was released after Atari dropped it, Telegames picked it up (Telegames released many Lynx games later on eproms). Look here for another Telegames game on eprom:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101240

Pretty good deal, but bummer he only sells within France, not abroad, otherwise I'd bid

He doesn't sell only in France but all over Europe (read the auction description well). If you ask, he may ship to the USA too (apart from the fact that I don't know where you're from, Germany is my guess according to what may be your name).

I know that Telegames (and also Songbird production and others) produced many games on eprom like or at least similar to that but Raiden (by what I know) was published on a curved lip cartridge in the classic Lynx cardboard box, not on an eprom in a plastic box. I fear that it could be a (very well done) copy but only a copy without any value for a collector though, according to the topic that you've posted, it could be an original and I could be wrong. On AtariAge there are no cart and box photos for Raiden so it's difficult to say a final word...

By the way, let me know if you decide to buy it: I'm interested in knowing more about that game! Have a good day!

Edited by GuybrushThreepwood

cool, i didn't read further...helps i suppose. me Germany based, and he does PP too, excellent

yep, i did bid

was gonna buy it from Songbird, but he's sold out. Telegames USA doesn't like shipping to Europe, and Telegames UK (Direct4games) is offline. Videogamesource, a German Lynx seller, is sold out too.

Edited by thomasholzer

hi,

I bought a couple of games from this guy.The box on the photo is a VHS video box.The cartridge is the same type as Alpine Games.I ordered the the games from ebay as well.He is really quick with sending the items.

The games are brand new and working perfectly.

Thanks for letting us know! :) Perhaps I will make a try...

@thomasholzer

I see that you've placed a bid on the item... Now, I'm going to raise it! :) Just kidding! Could you tell me the postage costs he has told you? In the meantime I will ask for the postage costs too.

Does anyone know where one can pick up an original of Raiden these days? Cannot recall when I saw it on ebay last...

I know telegames uk sold it and maybe direct4games still has it for sale after the stock take over but after my latest experience with them I will never place another order there.

@Songbird

Are there some references on how to see if a game is an original version or a copy? Why are you sure that this is a copy? I was the first to say that it could be a fake but mine was only a guess...

I'm really interested in this topic because there are many rare games selling at high prices without any warranty about their REAL value.

@seamoon

When you've last seen an original version of Raiden, how it was? Was it a curved lip cart with the original cardboard box as I thought?

Thanks for your replies and have a good day! :)

Well, fake or not, i let you know when I receive it.

Now all i need is Fat Bobby.

Wait!!! Are you saying that you own all the games available for Lynx except for Fat Bobby? :?: I thought that my collection of more than fifty games was good but it's nothing compared to yours... By the way, congratulations for winning the auction! ;) I'm waiting for news about the game when you receive it!

@Songbird

Are there some references on how to see if a game is an original version or a copy? Why are you sure that this is a copy? I was the first to say that it could be a fake but mine was only a guess...

I'm really interested in this topic because there are many rare games selling at high prices without any warranty about their REAL value.

The case in the auction looks nice, but it's not the one Telegames has used. The Telegames post-Atari releases have either been in genuine Lynx boxes (e.g. Krazy Ace), or in jewel cases. Plus, that particular cartridge board has never been used for a Telegames release AFAIK. The black PCB is the most common, although a few were made on green (but different) PCBs.

Bottom line: this is just someone burning carts and making boxes on their own without permission.

@Songbird

The case in the auction looks nice, but it's not the one Telegames has used. The Telegames post-Atari releases have either been in genuine Lynx boxes (e.g. Krazy Ace), or in jewel cases. Plus, that particular cartridge board has never been used for a Telegames release AFAIK. The black PCB is the most common, although a few were made on green (but different) PCBs.

Bottom line: this is just someone burning carts and making boxes on their own without permission.

Ah, you said something different about my Bubble Trouble cart, which comes in a Telegames UK VCS style plastic box (not Lynx box, not jewel case). OK the game (BT) was delivered to me unboxed, but the instructions were made for the plastic style VCS box:

Bubble_Trouble.jpg

Also, different cartridge board to all other Lynx cartridge boards:

bubbletrouble.jpg

So really we cannot be sure.

Mind you I'm just glad to get Raiden for $30.00.

Edited by thomasholzer

Ah, you said something different about my Bubble Trouble cart, which comes in a Telegames UK VCS style plastic box (not Lynx box, not jewel case). OK the game (BT) was delivered to me unboxed, but the instructions were made for the plastic style VCS box:

Also, different cartridge board to all other Lynx cartridge boards:

So really we cannot be sure.

Yes, we can be sure. But I'm not interested in an argument, so this will be my last post in this thread. I did neglect to say in my previous post that Telegames UK did produce some Lynx games without boxes - for example, I received numerous Hyperdrome carts from them in the past which were loose carts packaged in a plastic bag with folded instructions. However, to my knowledge Telegames (USA or UK) has not published any Lynx game in a VHS box, and they have not used the cartridge style shown in the referenced auction.

They have used the cart style you depicted for your Bubble Trouble. But that was a long time ago, and they're not using those any more. Also note how the EPROM is encased on yours, vs. the exposed EPROM in the auction. Just because two carts are on green circuit boards does not mean the circuit boards are the same.

Mind you I'm just glad to get Raiden for $30.00.

@thomasholzer

Are you saying that he has made you pay only $5 for delivery to Germany? It would be really a good deal!

Though I'm quite sure that it hasn't any value for a collector, we may take into account that it's almost impossible to find and (unless you're able to build a cart like that by yourself) this is the only way to have Raiden playable on your Lynx.

P.S. I was forgetting to make to Thomas my compliments for his collection!

Well, i got an email from him, he said he doesn't ship internationally.

So I left negative feedback

I find this very strange.I ordered 2 games from him.According to ebay the location of the games was in Poland.The price was in $ and the shipping for 2 games was $5.00.I live in the UK so he did do international shipping.The interesting thing was that the package came from France???and the item location was Poland???Anyway I got the package in about 4 days.Maybe your seller is a different one.