IGNORED

MegaSTe Hard Drive Question

I finally got my MegaSTe today. To my surprise, what I thought was a MegaSTe2 turned out to be a 4. Anyway, It has an internal HDD. I am trying to hook up and transfer some stuff from my MegaFile30 but when I do, neither HDD is recognized. I made sure to disable the boot file on the MegaFile as to allow it to boot from the internal but no go. How can I get both the internal and Megafile drives to come up, or can I??

I finally got my MegaSTe today. To my surprise, what I thought was a MegaSTe2 turned out to be a 4. Anyway, It has an internal HDD. I am trying to hook up and transfer some stuff from my MegaFile30 but when I do, neither HDD is recognized. I made sure to disable the boot file on the MegaFile as to allow it to boot from the internal but no go. How can I get both the internal and Megafile drives to come up, or can I??

what software are you using? change the dipswitch settings on the internal drive. They are the red and white switches on the hard drive board in the ste. to see if it boots.

what software are you using? change the dipswitch settings on the internal drive. They are the red and white switches on the hard drive board in the ste. to see if it boots.

I guess I should have clarified that the internal HDD boots fine on its own. It is only when I hook up the MegaFile30 that neither will boot. I am using 6.05 of the Atari driver. Does having the internal HDD on the MegaSTe disable the external port for some reason??

I guess I should have clarified that the internal HDD boots fine on its own. It is only when I hook up the MegaFile30 that neither will boot. I am using 6.05 of the Atari driver. Does having the internal HDD on the MegaSTe disable the external port for some reason??

No I had the same problem. I would switch to ICD or HDDriver, and make sure you set the scsi ids different. It should work then

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this was the dreaded DMA bug that STE machines had with the DMA Hard Drives??? What rev is your MegaSTE? Is it a 1/2/4 from factory? I have a buggy Mega STE 1 with the DMA bug (staticy sound when running in 16MHz, though have not tested a DMA HD with it, tried a link 2 and it worked fine)

Hi

I think this is because you have both drives enabled to be booted from,individually are ok,but when connected the Atari cannot decide which one to boot from,hence no drives at all.

You could disable the icd or Hd sys file,but this i have found to one way only sometimes,that is not able to reconise the disk later without a format or the like

When i have run into that problem to allow transfering of files is to add a 2nd drive to one(Internal),get it reconised either with ICD or HD and copy the stuff over into a folder.

Then boot off the External,after adding the 2nd drive internally and transferring files to that as well.

Now you have all your stuff on one disk.

Another possibility is boot from one drive and transfer it to a pc with paraport or the like program and burn it to Cd.

There are several ways to get the job done,but not as easy as we would like due to the age of the OS and such like

Hope that is of help