IGNORED

Spudster/Tom Hunt?

NiteHacker

Hey All!!!

I haven't been around for a little while...

I was wondering if Tom Hunt was still running his Telnet bbs... Closer To Home (CTH)? Nevermind... I entered it wrong in my telnet client.... I was able to log on! :-)

Also... is the site that was a mirror/host of his files still around.... ftp.spudster.org?

Edited by NiteHacker

Thanks for the info...

I think I have everything... or just about everything... except for the last couple of years.

I don't think I need anything at the moment... but thanks for letting me know!

I was maintaining a copy of most of the files too... but I don't know how up-to-date it is? I think it's been about a year or so since I was last visiting that site and checking for new files.

Yeah, it would be nice if someone could host the files again.... hopefully, an exact mirror of the old site?

Ok, so what's missing in pigwa's mirror? ;)

I would say there is ALOT missing! Just compare the dates....

ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/mirror/ftp.spudster.org/pub/Atari/ - the ALLFiles.txt date is August 13, 2002 - this is the date inside the file - which Tom generates a new list whenever he adds/modifies the files in his archives.

http://www.filewatcher.com/b/ftp/ftp.spuds...ri/CTH.0.0.html - according to the date the file was posted on that site, it was definitely much more recent - November 26, 2006

Again - however, I can't get to the Spudster site to verify this date, but I am pretty sure it's probably right and so it's definitely more recent than 2002!!!

I am SURE there has been more added since 2002! I do recall visiting there sometime last year or so and there was a more recent update. It's nice that this mirror is there - it's just that it's NOT as current as it should be!

Someone said the site was still OK - however, it doesn't seem to be working for me. I have been trying several days now and I can't get to it - neither from Internet Explorer or my ftp client (Total Commander)? Maybe the site is temporarily down?? I sure hope that is the case!!! I really want to get back on there and try to update my collection so that it is up-to-date.

Ok, so what's missing in pigwa's mirror? ;)

I would say there is ALOT missing! Just compare the dates....

ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/mirror/ftp.spudster.org/pub/Atari/ - the ALLFiles.txt date is August 13, 2002 - this is the date inside the file - which Tom generates a new list whenever he adds/modifies the files in his archives.

http://www.filewatcher.com/b/ftp/ftp.spuds...ri/CTH.0.0.html - according to the date the file was posted on that site, it was definitely much more recent - November 26, 2006

Again - however, I can't get to the Spudster site to verify this date, but I am pretty sure it's probably right and so it's definitely more recent than 2002!!!

I am SURE there has been more added since 2002! I do recall visiting there sometime last year or so and there was a more recent update. It's nice that this mirror is there - it's just that it's NOT as current as it should be!

Someone said the site was still OK - however, it doesn't seem to be working for me. I have been trying several days now and I can't get to it - neither from Internet Explorer or my ftp client (Total Commander)? Maybe the site is temporarily down?? I sure hope that is the case!!! I really want to get back on there and try to update my collection so that it is up-to-date.

It must be you, I connect to Spudster just fine... I actually prefer the Holmes collection on Langesite...

• 2 weeks later...

Um, OK... well, I will keep trying...

I can't seem to get to it either from my ftp or Internet Explorer so I am wondering if it's beyond my control... like there is a broken link or it's been banned from my isp, etc?

What is the link to that site you are talking about? If you can't or don't want to post it here... can you pm it to me?

Thanks!

Note: I have tried other ftp site(s) and I CAN link to them, BUT I just can't seem to get to Spudster???

Edited by NiteHacker

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to get hold of some of the stuff that was on the later archive at Spudster. As was discussed in this thread a couple of months ago, did anyone find a working mirror of the last updated archive? The original ftp is now gone for good it would seem and the most up to date mirror listed here just reference the original dead ftp?

I've been trying to get hold of some of the stuff that was on the later archive at Spudster. As was discussed in this thread a couple of months ago, did anyone find a working mirror of the last updated archive? The original ftp is now gone for good it would seem and the most up to date mirror listed here just reference the original dead ftp?

What are you looking for?? I have most of the last iteration of the spudster site. I grabbed everything just a couple of months before it went down.

What are you looking for?? I have most of the last iteration of the spudster site. I grabbed everything just a couple of months before it went down.
:) That's great, it's the contents of /pub/atari/cth/utilities/bbs/carina/flesec_u/dir_b/ that i was looking for and also the contents of: /pub/Atari/CTH/Utilities/Files/Boot_Menus

Thanks,

Tezz

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So anyone heard from Tom Hunt?

I have a soft spot for the Closer to Home BBS since it was the first telnet BBS, and it has been on again, off again for the last few years. Just want to make sure in this case after like ten years of operation that it is gone gone...

...like I said, it was the BBS that got me back into the Atari BBS scene, so want to make doubly sure it is gone before *I* give up on it. :D

Thanks!

• 7 years later...
  • 8 years later...