IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 41: River Raid

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Your mission is to score as many points possible by destroying enemy tankers, helicopters, fuel depots, jets and bridges before your jet crashes or runs out of fuel.

Game Information

• Game Name: River Raid
  • Released By: Activision, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Atari_Elite

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, February 15th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 234,180 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
  2. 188,850 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 58,680 (accousticguitar) [+9]
  4. 57,030 (Nathan Strum) [+8]
  5. 49,890 (johnnywc) [+7]
  6. 46,720 (LarcenTyler) [+6]
  7. 45,550 (Zoyx) [+5]
  8. 34,150 (Cybergoth) [+4]
  9. 27,170 (scogey) [+3]
  10. 25,790 (Goochman) [+2]
  11. 15,230 (SpiceWare) [+1]

Best Tips

• D. Yancey [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Patch Challenge - River Raiders - Score 15,000 points or higher for 1 bonus point!
    • LarcenTyler, Rom Hunter, Deteacher, accousticguitar, Nathan Strum, johnnywc, Zoyx, Cybergoth, scogey, Goochman, SpiceWare

[*]Max The Score - Score 1,000,000 points and you'll get an additional 5 bonus points!

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 6, Difficulty B)
  1. 1,000,000 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 1,000,000 (David B Yancey)
  3. 178,000 (Robert T Mruczek)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [421]
  2. SpiceWare [305]
  3. Deteacher [247]
  4. keilbaca [175]
  5. vdub_bobby [148]
  6. LarcenTyler [146]
  7. rheffera [119]
  8. the 5th ghost [87]
  9. BrianC [78]
  10. scogey [77]
  11. Goochman [73]
  12. shadow460 [72]
  13. shawnb [71]
  14. Nathan Strum [71]
  15. Christophero Sly [70]
  16. atari2600land [70]
  17. JacobZu7zu7 [69]
  18. Cybergoth [68]
  19. Malc74 [63]
  20. Recycled [39]
  21. theKLT [37]
  22. SeaGtGruff [36]
  23. 128bytes [34]
  24. Zoyx [32]
  • Jred [26]
  • johnnywc [24]
  • doctorclu [22]
  • phaxda [21]
  • Captain Beard [20]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • RJ [19]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • LS_Dracon [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • Biter [2]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • fire!fire! [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
  • ewing92 [1]
  • mightymage [1]

Scoring Points in River Raid

• Tanker - 30 points
  • Helicopter - 60 points
  • Fuel Depot - 80 points
  • Jet - 100 points
  • Bridge - 500 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy online for your viewing pleasure. Here are the hints it provides:

- By knowing the river, pinpointing areas with the highest concentration of enemy, and the most fuel depots, you'll have a much better chance of surviving. Since the river is in sections, try jotting down notes for each important section as flight aids.

- Fuel is also a critical factor. When you're far up the river, fuel is scarce. So, concentrate on flying to the next fuel depot, and don't try to destroy every object.

- When you become really skilled, you'll find you can actually blow up a fuel depot right in the middle of refueling. That way, you can gain the points and some fuel at the same time.

- Finally, remember that your main targets are the bridges. They're worth the most points.

Tips: These tips come in handier in the later stages of the game, when fuel is scarce. Afterall, the objective changes at that point. It's not so much about maximum points as it is about keeping your plane full of fuel. :)

Learn how to fly at full speed. When your "low fuel" alarm goes off, that skill comes in handy. Just hold the fire button down and OPEN 'ER UP! icon_smile.gif Just be ready to let up on the throttle when a fuel depot appears.

When you have to get as much fuel as possible out of a depot, try steering your shots around the fuel depots and clearing out some baddies that might be sitting on the other side of it. Clearing the way will make it easier to get every last drop of fuel out of the depots.

If you're pretty sure you're going to run out of fuel, try to get to the bridge. Even if you have to crash into it, it's worth it for the 500 points. Heck, if you're going to lose the plane anyway, you might as well grab a few extra points before it happens. :)

When flying through the straightaways, if you have to pass by the enemies, look which way they're facing and fly behind them. Since you never know when they're going to start moving, you'll be safe passing from behind.

Don't wait to until the low fuel alarm goes off to fly fast. And don't hold down the fire button. You take to great a chance of destroying a fuel depot as soon as it comes onto the screen.

Every other section of river between bridges is just a straight section with no islands. It's very tempting to fly slowly here and try to get max points. You will be lulled into running low on fuel and then trying to make a mad dash just when you get to the next bridge. The next section of river, with the islands, bottle-necks and tight quarters, requires lower speeds at some points and the fuel could be out of reach if you pick the wrong side of the island to fly past. That is bad news!

My strategy, after about 150,000, is to always fly the straight away river sections at full speed, even if my fuel is nearly full, while firing selectively only to clear a path for my plane. Be very careful on the fire button so you do not rapid-fire two shots accidently. The first shot can destroy the enemy and the second could hit the very fuel you need. If you do encounter a lonely fuel depot, use it even if you are nearly full. It may seem like a waste of time, but you never know when you might run out of fuel one inch from the next depot and wish you had taken this advice! I've even run out of fuel before and hit a fuel depot just as my plane was only gliding to its doom. You can still recover; even at that piont of seeming hopelessness.

Never fire blindly and take a chance on hitting fuel. Try to fly behind the enemies, so they cannot ram you unexpectedly as you pass them. If you see fuel, react as quickly as possible to slow your plane ans steer toward the fuel. Don't worry about trying to shoot the fuel as you pass over it. Train yourself not to be greedy for points and squeeze every drop of fuel from each depot and then return to maximum acceleration as quickly as possible.

Fly the "island sections" and "bottle-neck sections" more slowly, but always HUNT FUEL as your TOP PRIORITY and fire when necessary to avoid a collision. Greed for points is your enemy moreso than the onscreen enemy.

Best of luck to all. This is one of the best games ever. It took me about 3.5 hours to reach one million.

Fly as slow as possible over the fuel depots. You'll pick up more fuel that way.

--Ze_ro

149,110! My best score ever! :) Watch out ROM! <yeah, right!>

Tips: These tips come in handier in the later stages of the game, when fuel is scarce. Afterall, the objective changes at that point. It's not so much about maximum points as it is about keeping your plane full of fuel. :)

Learn how to fly at full speed. When your "low fuel" alarm goes off, that skill comes in handy. Just hold the fire button down and OPEN 'ER UP! :) Just be ready to let up on the throttle when a fuel depot appears.

When you have to get as much fuel as possible out of a depot, try steering your shots around the fuel depots and clearing out some baddies that might be sitting on the other side of it. Clearing the way will make it easier to get every last drop of fuel out of the depots.

If you're pretty sure you're going to run out of fuel, try to get to the bridge. Even if you have to crash into it, it's worth it for the 500 points. Heck, if you're going to lose the plane anyway, you might as well grab a few extra points before it happens. :)

post-9712-1170984657_thumb.jpg

149,110! My best score ever! :) Watch out ROM! <yeah, right!>

Learn how to fly at full speed. When your "low fuel" alarm goes off, that skill comes in handy. Just hold the fire button down and OPEN 'ER UP! :) Just be ready to let up on the throttle when a fuel depot appears.

My tips pretty much echo those of Deteacher. I'd like to expand on a few by adding my opinion.

Don't wait to until the low fuel alarm goes off to fly fast. And don't hold down the fire button. You take to great a chance of destroying a fuel depot as soon as it comes onto the screen.

Every other section of river between bridges is just a straight section with no islands. It's very tempting to fly slowly here and try to get max points. You will be lulled into running low on fuel and then trying to make a mad dash just when you get to the next bridge. The next section of river, with the islands, bottle-necks and tight quarters, requires lower speeds at some points and the fuel could be out of reach if you pick the wrong side of the island to fly past. That is bad news!

My strategy, after about 150,000, is to always fly the straight away river sections at full speed, even if my fuel is nearly full, while firing selectively only to clear a path for my plane. Be very careful on the fire button so you do not rapid-fire two shots accidently. The first shot can destroy the enemy and the second could hit the very fuel you need. If you do encounter a lonely fuel depot, use it even if you are nearly full. It may seem like a waste of time, but you never know when you might run out of fuel one inch from the next depot and wish you had taken this advice! I've even run out of fuel before and hit a fuel depot just as my plane was only gliding to its doom. You can still recover; even at that piont of seeming hopelessness.

Never fire blindly and take a chance on hitting fuel. Try to fly behind the enemies, so they cannot ram you unexpectedly as you pass them. If you see fuel, react as quickly as possible to slow your plane ans steer toward the fuel. Don't worry about trying to shoot the fuel as you pass over it. Train yourself not to be greedy for points and squeeze every drop of fuel from each depot and then return to maximum acceleration as quickly as possible.

Fly the "island sections" and "bottle-neck sections" more slowly, but always HUNT FUEL as your TOP PRIORITY and fire when necessary to avoid a collision. Greed for points is your enemy moreso than the onscreen enemy.

Best of luck to all. This is one of the best games ever. It took me about 3.5 hours to reach one million.

Edited by D.Yancey

I used to be a lot better at this game...

33,250 43,000 57,030

post-2641-1171528616_thumb.jpg

That'll have to do. Lost my last three lives in the same spot. :roll:

Oh, and I do have one tip (now that it's too late...): Fly as slow as possible over the fuel depots. You'll pick up more fuel that way.

Edited by Nathan Strum

• 2 years later...