IGNORED

HOW TO: Fix cart spring w/o piercing label

Room 34

Sorry, this is not actually a how-to article. I was just trying to come up with a way to convey my point within the size constraints of the subject line.

I have an early Atari cart -- the kind with the latching door over the PCB -- where the spring has slipped out of its grooves, making the door loose and causing the spring to get in the way when you try to insert the cart into the 2600. (OK, it's Basic Math, so I don't really care if I can play it or not. But it's a part of my nearly-complete collection of text/number labels, so I'd like it to be in good condition.)

Does anyone know a way of realigning the spring without having to puncture the label to get at the screw (in order to open the cartridge)?

You can make a cross slice over the screw with an x-acto and peel it back to unscrew it and open the case. Then replace the screw and fold the flaps back over the screw and glue them down. It's not a perfect solution, but I've used it and the cuts are barely noticeable. I read this off someone's page, and I wish I could remember who so I could give them credit.

-Paul

I have never had a problem (other than the silver labels for some reason) opening the cases. Heres the secret: The hair dryer set on hot and a pair of tweezers. If you heat those old labels, they literally fall off. My Submarine Commander label had slid over very badly, so I tried it there about a year ago. Take your time, and the entire label will come off. I put the labels on a ziplock bag until I am ready for them again. Just warm them back up, and they go right back on.

BTW, I never put the screws back in. The edges hold it together fine. Its not like we are riding bikes or playing war with these in our back pockets like we used to!

HTH,

Cassidy

Heating labels to remove them works well for (non silver) paper labels, but I've had a hard time with some of the old text labels that were printed on that vinyl stuff. If you heat them and try to peel them off, they'll stretch out and ruin. But the vinyl labels are nice when you're using them for homebrews because they come off without tearing and don't leave much glue.

-Paul