IGNORED

To be fair to the PS3 launch ......

ninjarabbit

the 360 had a pretty crappy launch too. I know it's trendy to bash Sony at the moment and Sony does deserve a good amount of it but it's amazing how short some of our memories are. The 360's launch window line-up was very medicore for the most part with Microsoft's first party games being average at best and the good third party games were available on other systems and PCs and who can forget the Red Ring of Death.

Just Remember than Sony can easily turn it around similar to how Microsoft turned it around somewhat (though I do think Microsoft made some serious mistakes that'll cost them big time).

the ps3 will come back, but it's launch line-up was horendous, and now the fact that not any big game has come out at ALL since the launch....that's bullshit. The 360's was a lot better i thought, when you think of the 360's launch you think of Project gotham racing 3, nfs:most wanted, perfect dark:zero, and uhh, i think there was one more. The PS3's, the only game you think about is, Resistence, and then if you think about it, maybe Genji:days of the blade, but really only resistence.

I thought the 360 had some of the best launch titles of all time. Hyper_Eye mentioned two but in my opinion Kameo was a must play as well. The difference between the two launches is people actually wanted the 360. The PS3 is readily available, it's just most folks would rather not pay $700 to just to play one game.

The only way the PS3 is going to "come back" is if they lower the blinkin' price to something more reasonable. :|

That's exactly right there.

The 360 did have it's share of problems. What system on launch didn't? But somehow, the large lauch lineup (compared to PS3) and the availability of systems, and MUCH lower price (the premium 360 IS cheaper than the core PS3, like it or not[/i] gave the box a better launch.

The red ring of death, yeah, but it was fixable, and like most console makers, it's free.. And for some reason, nobody expected it to launch with no problems. Somehow, though, Sony's superior to God himself and wasn't supposed to have any launch problems. And they had 2 of them. Nobody knows if the system works yet or not, cause nobody's played it unfortunately. But eventually, some of those EBay systems will find a home that's not just looking to resale it, and then the hardware problems will pop up. And that will add at least a third problem with the PS3 launch.

Personally (I know for a fact I'll get bashed for this) The biggest problem with the 360 launch (and why is this topic aimed at microsoft anyways? bias against them I guess) was the lack of good backwards compatibility. It's comeing, it's comeing, it's still not here, but it's supposedly still coming.

The 360's launch window line-up was very medicore for the most part

I dunno man, I still think the 360's library is mediocre with the standard Virtual Paintball titles (Gears of Virtual Paintball, Call of Virtual Paintball 1&2, & Rainbow Virtual Paintball 6: Vegas) and "Drive a car" games, and the combination of (Saints Row & Crackdown) :lol: They need to step it up with some more imaginative games!

What happened to SPACE games for example.. I want a space game with the speed of the Burnout's, and some 2d stages mixed in :P Maybe some strategy elements thrown in for good measure...

But then again the 360 is the console I play the most these days :ponder: 'Course it's mostly Robotron on XBLive, but I guess that counts. :D

People don't bash Sony for it's launch. It's launch, if all other factors are forgotten, wasn't that bad. People bash Sony's launch because their console was overpriced and delayed entirely because of a feature (Blue Ray) that makes absolutely no difference to gamers, because they nixed vibration and claimed it was due to technical reasons, because they replaced it with motion sensing that is useless in most gameplay except driving games thanks to the control's form factor, claim that you still can't buy their console in stores, gimped the PSP downloadable PS1 games to make them require a PS3, initially had horrible backwards compatibility issues, and because they have acted like arrogant jerks about it the whole time. They assumed their user base would move right to the PS3 without any questions and so far have been shown that isn't the case.

If Sony had made a game console and priced it similar to the 360, not pushed their own movie making agenda, and kept their mouth shut, the launch would have been praised. I was strictly a PS1 and PS2 gamer, I've completely switched to Nintendo thanks to Sony's poor management. Microsoft seemed to make their post-launch decisions based on appealing to gamers, Sony seems to have forgotten their gaming audience altogether.

Edited by n8littlefield

I thought the 360 had some of the best launch titles of all time. Hyper_Eye mentioned two but in my opinion Kameo was a must play as well. The difference between the two launches is people actually wanted the 360. The PS3 is readily available, it's just most folks would rather not pay $700 to just to play one game.

Don't forget $80-100 for a HDMI cable. ;)

6 foot HDMI cables run 20-25 dollars. (or less!)

I thought the games available at the PS3 launch were very similar to what was available for the Xbox 360.

Both systems had the current EA franchises (Madden 200x, Need for Speed: whatever), a Call of Duty game, and a few others. Resistance: Fall of Man easily beats out Perfect Dark and Condemed Criminal Origins in my opinion. Project Gotham is a better racer than any racer available at the PS3 launch.

At least people can get a PS3 now if they want one. I rarely saw any Xbox 360 systems until March or April, I have seen PS3 systems regularly since Christmas. Still haven't seen a Wii in the stores.

Nintendo Wii launch lineup was similiar to the other 2 systems. They have one game (Zelda) worth getting. The rest of the lineup mostly consisted of less impressive versions of games that were available on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Wii seemed to have a bunch of cartoon character games available too. Would anyone buy Madden, Call of Duty, Need for Speed for the Wii over the 360 or PS3 if they had a choice? Three months after launch and Nintendo STILL has no online play? Sony and Microsoft figured out how to have online play from day one....why not Nintendo?

The 360 did have it's share of problems. What system on launch didn't? But somehow, the large lauch lineup (compared to PS3) and the availability of systems, and MUCH lower price (the premium 360 IS cheaper than the core PS3, like it or not[/i] gave the box a better launch.

"Availability of systems"? MS had 326,000 units available at launch. How could you forget that? They were crucified for it just like Sony was. Apparently nobody remembers this now.

The sales data is out there for you to see if you want to look it up.

The red ring of death, yeah, but it was fixable, and like most console makers, it's free..

This is still going on, and don't forget, MS had to extend the warranties of the system to cover it.

This is from December: http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/xbox-360...crap-222843.php

This is from January: http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/and-ashcrafts...-out-226691.php

This is from February: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/01/ring-of-...0-story-part-1/

I think the Xbox 360 is going to go down as one of the least reliable systems ever made. I don't really think it even has anything to do with the launch.

The PS3 launch was no better or worse than any launch. Neither was the Xbox 360's. They both pretty much sucked.

(Don't even talk to me about the Wii - wake me up when Nintendo works out their production problems and then we'll talk about how great the launch was.)

Would anyone buy Madden, Call of Duty, Need for Speed for the Wii over the 360 or PS3 if they had a choice?

For the most part I imagine cross-platform games will be better on a 360 or PS3. Madden 07 is one of those titles I'd rather have on the Wii, reviewers seem to favor it somewhat over the 360 and PS3 versions. It will be interesting to see if other 3rd party developers will be able to take advantage of the Wii's remote and make games that can stand up to the 360/PS3 despite the drawbacks in the graphics department.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I LOVED that particular series of bitchyness.

"ZOMG TEH MONSTAR CABLE AM 100! PS3 KAN'T DO HD WIFFOUT IT!111"

I've been hearing rumors that low-quality HDMI cables can burn out your game system or even your television set. Can someone confirm or deny this?

JR

I've been using a $10 HDMI to HDTV-DVI cable that was recommended to me and gave me an eBay link before, and it hasn't hurt my beautiful Sony 51" HD one bit. *knock on wood*

A cheap HDMI cable should hurt your TV about as much as a cheap Ethernet cable hurts your router. All it does is carry a digital signal from one piece of equipment to another.

A cable with larger gauge wire might be needed for long runs between equipment, but for most home users a 6-10 foot cable should be fine.

The $99 dollar Monster brand cables are the biggest rip off ever.

I dunno man, I still think the 360's library is mediocre with the standard Virtual Paintball titles (Gears of Virtual Paintball, Call of Virtual Paintball 1&2, & Rainbow Virtual Paintball 6: Vegas) and "Drive a car" games, and the combination of (Saints Row & Crackdown) :lol: They need to step it up with some more imaginative games!

That's the biggest probelm with modern games IMHO.

I'm so tired of FPS.

Actually, I had no idea they were that cheap now. I don't have any equipment that uses them, I had just seen the cables at Best Buy for that price yesterday. They were in the PS3 section. I'm assuming now that they are all the same? ie the PS3 doesn't have a special end to plug into it.

"Availability of systems"? MS had 326,000 units available at launch. How could you forget that? They were crucified for it just like Sony was. Apparently nobody remembers this now.

The sales data is out there for you to see if you want to look it up.

I've NEVER heard of this. Then again, when the 360 launched, I didn't have the cash on hand to purchase one anyways. I could get one now, but without good BC, I don't have a real reason to want one, till Halo 3 comes out, but I guess that's been cancled or something.

The red ring of death, yeah, but it was fixable, and like most console makers, it's free..

This is still going on, and don't forget, MS had to extend the warranties of the system to cover it.

This is from December: http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/xbox-360...crap-222843.php

This is from January: http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/and-ashcrafts...-out-226691.php

This is from February: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/01/ring-of-...0-story-part-1/

I think the Xbox 360 is going to go down as one of the least reliable systems ever made. I don't really think it even has anything to do with the launch.

The PS3 launch was no better or worse than any launch. Neither was the Xbox 360's. They both pretty much sucked.

(Don't even talk to me about the Wii - wake me up when Nintendo works out their production problems and then we'll talk about how great the launch was.)

Actually, the PS2 is the only system I know of that can be broken by being looked at to hard. As for the ring of death, hey, it's a computer and due to the complexity of such, it will always have some problems. So will the PS3, and Wii, for that matter. As for Wii, yeah, they're very shorthanded too, but to my understanding they released with almost twice as many systems, and were at least reasonably priced. I think the Wii's biggest hardware problem right now is how weak it is, but that was intentional to save money (suposedly)

That's the biggest probelm with modern games IMHO.

I'm so tired of FPS.

I agree, there's really nothing on the 360 (or PS3 too) that I haven't been playing for the last 10 years, the only real difference being the graphics are better, the games are faster, and the consoles are more expensive. At least the Wii is trying to offer something different while being affordable.

I agree, there's really nothing on the 360 (or PS3 too) that I haven't been playing for the last 10 years, the only real difference being the graphics are better, the games are faster, and the consoles are more expensive.

I really don't understand those kind of statements from anyone under the age of say 60, but to each their own :)

My problem with the PS3 launch is there only being one great title - Resistance. My PS3 at the moment is a dedicated Resistance machine, just like my Wii is a dedicated Zelda machine. :D

Actually, I had no idea they were that cheap now. I don't have any equipment that uses them, I had just seen the cables at Best Buy for that price yesterday. They were in the PS3 section. I'm assuming now that they are all the same? ie the PS3 doesn't have a special end to plug into it.

:)

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...=828972#M828972

:)

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...=828972#M828972

Thanks for the read CPU! I'm thinking of getting a flat screen tv. I want to run HDMI cable in my wall above my fireplace. (It's gas log so there is no chimney heat to worry about). Do they make some sort of recepticle plate to put on the wall to plug into for HDMI? This way I can put my video equipment in a cabinet with a video selector box. The tv would only require the one HDMI plug and a power pluc behind it. :)