IGNORED

Wii outsold PS2 in January AND February!

Gregory DG

Game Cube: Ww. units sold 21.52 million (the VB almost sold better :-)

That's going a little "out there". ;-)

LOL

While GameCube didn't sell what Nintendo hoped, I still think there's some revisionist history being written now as to whether or not it was a success. ;-)

To me, consoles that have 700+ games, sell over 20 million units, and generate consistent profit for their parent company can be considered a success on many fronts.

The biggest part of whether to consider a console a success or not..is to look at the number of titles released and the profit margin for the parent company.

In this case the Cube certainly has a lot of titles for it...(More than DC I would think and certainly more than what was released for the VB). And as far as I know, the Cube was a constant profit machine for Nintendo. They made profit on the hardware..and the software. Something that Microsoft and Sony couldn't claim.

Game Cube: Ww. units sold 21.52 million (the VB almost sold better :-)

That's going a little "out there". ;-)

LOL

While GameCube didn't sell what Nintendo hoped, I still think there's some revisionist history being written now as to whether or not it was a success. ;-)

To me, consoles that have 700+ games, sell over 20 million units, and generate consistent profit for their parent company can be considered a success on many fronts.

yes i agree it was a success, just its belittled when compaired to the success of the ps2 is all. its hard to come in 3rd , or as in japan 2nd and still look like a success, when in fact the numbers where nothing to laugh at. abviously nintendo's image wasnt hurt enough for the ds or wii not to sell well.

Another thing to consider when measuring the sales success of a console is its price relative to competing consoles. The Gamecube was always less expensive than either the PS2 or XBox, and reached the critical, impulse buy $100 price point in fall 2003 (something the PS2 still hasn't reached and the XBox never did reach), yet the PS2 sold much, much better and the XBox sold more units, especially in the United States. That's a major reason why the Gamecube was never considered a particularly successful system.

Another thing to consider when measuring the sales success of a console is its price relative to competing consoles. The Gamecube was always less expensive than either the PS2 or XBox, and reached the critical, impulse buy $100 price point in fall 2003 (something the PS2 still hasn't reached and the XBox never did reach), yet the PS2 sold much, much better and the XBox sold more units, especially in the United States. That's a major reason why the Gamecube was never considered a particularly successful system.

yes but if i sell a million more units (just for exacmple) and lose 2 million dollars , instead of making money, how is that a success?

The xbox lost money on each sale unless you bought 2-3 games and an extra controller at LEAST just to break even. In fact the year that the ps2 slim came out they purposely made the suply of the system low so that peoplw would buy xbox consoles, make M$ lose money, then buy the slims in the spring when they were on shelves as it was what they wanted in the first place. Considering how much money the xbox actually lost in its life instead of turning profit id say it was the biggest failure of the 3, despite sales. If you dont make money, which is in the end the only reason why they are doing this, who cares how much you sell...

i think its also funny that M$ said that the xbox only was meant not to turn a profit, and that the second xbox would... and now they are saying its the xbox and 360 that wouldnt turn a profit and the 3rd one that will LOL. just goes to show you how much money gates is able to shit out his ass to try to take controll of yet another market. Im proud to say everything on my xbox except battlefront 2 and my extra controller was purchased used.

Edited by AtariJr

The UK shop Dixons had a special during the GC days: Buy four GC games and get a Game Cube for free (yep, that's how bad GC did in UK)

I've heard that the Gamecube did horrible in the UK, but that is just sad. But if I didn't have one and a sale like that came along, I would jump all over it!

While the debate still rages about the Gamecube being a success or not, just think about it this way.

The Gamecube came in third place in sales behind a newcomer (Xbox) and had sales that were lower than it's predecessor (N64). It's predecessor came in second place behind a newcomer (PSX) and had lower sales than it's predecessor (SNES). Even though Nintendo made money on the Gamecube (we assume), this isn't a good trend. Hopefully for Nintendo the Wii will break this slide. But if the Wii can only sell 15 million units (just using this number for debate), who besides Nintendo would make games for it?

Wii is doing good in Europe, next to Game Boy, the first Nintendo console to do so.

But Nintendo realised they have to release the Wii the same time as in US/Jap, so it worked wonders. Before Wii, Nintendo never cared about Europe.

(Mind you, I got a nice official inflatable chair with a Nintendo Game Cube logo when I purchased my Game Cube upon day of release, so I'm not complaining):

http://videogamecollectors.com/gallery/album408

Edited by thomasholzer

While the debate still rages about the Gamecube being a success or not, just think about it this way.

The Gamecube came in third place in sales behind a newcomer (Xbox)

You make valid points in terms of the "downward trend" not being good. When it comes to the XBox though, I haven't changed my opinion. Microsoft did an amazing job at making the original XBox seem bigger than it actually was. I give them credit in that when you go into stores and look at the ads, you'd think it was as popular as the PS2. It wasn't even close, but Microsoft pulled off the illusion by spending $4 billion more than they made on XBox to do it. Only Microsoft with their deep pockets could afford that kind of a business model. They did come out SLIGHTLY ahead of the Cube (this is constantly being forgotten in the press right now) which is good for a console out the gate but at tremendous expense.

You make valid points in terms of the "downward trend" not being good. When it comes to the XBox though, I haven't changed my opinion. Microsoft did an amazing job at making the original XBox seem bigger than it actually was. I give them credit in that when you go into stores and look at the ads, you'd think it was as popular as the PS2. It wasn't even close, but Microsoft pulled off the illusion by spending $4 billion more than they made on XBox to do it. Only Microsoft with their deep pockets could afford that kind of a business model. They did come out SLIGHTLY ahead of the Cube (this is constantly being forgotten in the press right now) which is good for a console out the gate but at tremendous expense.

It is stunning how much money MS lost on the Xbox. Who knows though, they may not have any intention to make a profit in the gaming console business. MS may only be in the gaming business to try to dominate home entertainment the way it does PC's. Just look at what they're doing with XBL Marketplace.

yes but if i sell a million more units (just for exacmple) and lose 2 million dollars , instead of making money, how is that a success?

The xbox lost money on each sale unless you bought 2-3 games and an extra controller at LEAST just to break even. In fact the year that the ps2 slim came out they purposely made the suply of the system low so that peoplw would buy xbox consoles, make M$ lose money, then buy the slims in the spring when they were on shelves as it was what they wanted in the first place. Considering how much money the xbox actually lost in its life instead of turning profit id say it was the biggest failure of the 3, despite sales. If you dont make money, which is in the end the only reason why they are doing this, who cares how much you sell...

Considering video games are Nintendo's primary (and almost only) business whereas with both Microsoft and Sony video games are only part of the business, I think Microsoft and Nintendo would view selling consoles at a significant loss differently. If Nintendo did that, they'd be out of business. With Microsoft however, it is all about gaining market share. Microsoft's market share in the last generation was the second-largest and a little larger than Nintendo's, so considering Microsoft wasn't even a player in the PS1/N64/Saturn generation, they were probably satisfied with the XBox's sales. Obviously Microsoft's goal is to sell more units and get a bigger market share this time around.

Incidentally, I remember November/December 2004 - due to their shortages the PS2 couldn't be found the last few weeks before Christmas and many, many people then bought the XBox and THAT system couldn't be found the last couple weeks before Christmas. Meanwhile, the Gamecube was still readily available at most stores at that time. This was despite the fact the XBox (and PS2) cost (I think) 50% more than the Gamecube. (I can't remember if the XBox and PS2 were $150 or $200 at that time - they may have actually been the latter. I know the Gamecube was $100.) What does that tell you? Regardless of whether Microsoft or Nintendo or Sony sells their consoles at a profit or not, it is practically a given that if you don't sell as many consoles, 3rd parties are less likely to make games for your system. Fewer 3rd party games mean fewer games for the system period, and less general interest in the system. Most people like to have choices among the genre of games they like to play.

didn't Game Cube came 4th place? PS2, XBox,PS One,GC (in UK anyway, when PS2 was sold out, parents bought PS One instead)

Are you talking about the Christmas 2004 time period that CHIP72 mentioned? Here in the USA, PSOne sales were virtually non-existant by then. PSOne's were selling for around $80 packed in with two games at that time. So that was an even better deal than the GC, yet they really didn't move.

didn't Game Cube came 4th place? PS2, XBox,PS One,GC (in UK anyway, when PS2 was sold out, parents bought PS One instead)

Are you talking about the Christmas 2004 time period that CHIP72 mentioned? Here in the USA, PSOne sales were virtually non-existant by then. PSOne's were selling for around $80 packed in with two games at that time. So that was an even better deal than the GC, yet they really didn't move.

no no, i'm in Europe.

It was first or second year of PS2 or Game Cube (can't remember). PS2 was sold out, and people purchased PS One instead.

at the time Woolworths sold more PS One than GC, incredible. year later, GC was dropped from Argos (huge catalogue/main street store seller)

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo DS 485,149

Wii 335,324

PlayStation 2 295,102

Xbox 360 228,225

PlayStation Portable 175,651

Game Boy Advance 135,887

PlayStation 3 127,321

GameCube 23,844

Xbox 480

Wow, those PS3 sales are worse than I thought. I actually feel sorry for SONY right now.

Two things strike me with those numbers.

1. Even with a one year head start over the Wii and the PS3, the Xbox360 still can't sell more than the PS2. I have a sinking feeling that MS is going to come in second, or if the PS3 catches on, 3rd place this gen.

2. Everytime I see something interesting come out for the PSP I think, "Well, this has to be getting more competitive with the DS". Then I see sales figures like this. Is the PSP soon becoming the next Game Gear/Lynx/etc.?

I don't understand why people are so proud of a current gen system outselling a last gen system. It should be a given. Sony and MSFT should be ashamed that their new systems aren't outselling the last gen, but Nintendo should not be proud that their system is.

Sony is lucky the PS2 is subsidizing the PS3 for the time being, MSFT doesn't have that luxury, and Nintendo doesn't need it. If it weren't for that, then I too would feel sorry for Sony.

I don't understand why people are so proud of a current gen system outselling a last gen system. It should be a given. Sony and MSFT should be ashamed that their new systems aren't outselling the last gen, but Nintendo should not be proud that their system is.

Sony is lucky the PS2 is subsidizing the PS3 for the time being, MSFT doesn't have that luxury, and Nintendo doesn't need it. If it weren't for that, then I too would feel sorry for Sony.

because the ps2 is like the largest selling system of all time, and is generally selling more than the ps3 as most people want a ps2 more right now. so to over take the system that is still selling strong, that had to my knowledge the best selling records in the time that it has been out (maybe besides the 2600) is an impressive feat, esp when its successor cant even do so.

actually , speaking of the 2600 its kinda like that... how the 2600 was still so much more popular even when its successors came out.

Very true. In fact if the Sony plan to drop backwards compatibility from the PS3 is true, I would expect to see PS2 sales remain strong for a long time coming. The library of games for it is just massive and developers still seem to be supporting it strongly. I'd be shocked if the next GTA, Final Fantasy, Madden and Soul Calibur all weren't released on PS2.

In fact if the Sony plan to drop backwards compatibility from the PS3 is true

Sony's planning to drop backwards compatibility? I heard there was some chip they were dropping from the non-American versions but it's not supposed to kill all backwards compatibility.

Shoot, if they drop it, then they should drop the price too. That feature is probably worth about $50 to me. And Sony would be shooting themselves in the foot if they start making so many different PS3's. (Can you say Sega-CD-32X-Neptune-Saturn?)

Sony's planning to drop backwards compatibility? I heard there was some chip they were dropping from the non-American versions but it's not supposed to kill all backwards compatibility.

Specifically, Sony is dropping the "Emotion Engine" chip from the PS3. The emulation of PS2 games will move to pure-software emulator rather than the hardware/software combination that Sony uses now. Which kind of makes sense.

When you have eight PS2s (and one George Foreman Grill) duct taped together, why not make use of them? :P

(Apologies to a poster on another forum. That witticism is his, not mine.)

Nintendo DS 485,149

Wii 335,324

PlayStation 2 295,102

Xbox 360 228,225

PlayStation Portable 175,651

Game Boy Advance 135,887

PlayStation 3 127,321

GameCube 23,844

Xbox 480

Wow, those PS3 sales are worse than I thought. I actually feel sorry for SONY right now.

Two things strike me with those numbers.

1. Even with a one year head start over the Wii and the PS3, the Xbox360 still can't sell more than the PS2. I have a sinking feeling that MS is going to come in second, or if the PS3 catches on, 3rd place this gen.

2. Everytime I see something interesting come out for the PSP I think, "Well, this has to be getting more competitive with the DS". Then I see sales figures like this. Is the PSP soon becoming the next Game Gear/Lynx/etc.?

Another thing that sticks out to me are those 135,887 sales for GBA, outselling the PS3! The GBA SP at $79 must be quite profitable for Nintendo.

The emulation of PS2 games will move to pure-software emulator rather than the hardware/software combination that Sony uses now. Which kind of makes sense.

Wait just a second. Wasn't Sony railing on Microsoft for having a software emulator for BC with the Xbox? :ponder: