IGNORED

Import Wii Question

Mendon

In all my gaming years, I've only owned two import gaming consoles: a Saturn and a Dreamcast. I got a lot of use out of both of them and played many EXCELLENT games that I might never have had the opportunity to enjoy if I hadn't bought a Japanese console. So based on my past enjoyment of import games and because I'm really enjoying the Wii system, I'm considering purchasing a Japanese Wii system.

But before doing so, I would really like to know the opinions of others on whether purchasing an import Nintendo system might really worth the money.

Since I never followed the Nintendo Japanese gaming scene, I have no idea how many Nintendo games come out in Japan that never make it to the U.S. And I'm not even sure what type/style of games come out in Japan that might never make it to the U.S.

If you have purchased an import console in the past, do you think purchasing an import Nintendo system would be as worthwhile as purchasing a Sega or Sony system? Do you think that there will be plenty of Japanese Wii games that might never make it to the U.S.? Have you ever bought an import Nintendo system?

Any opinions or info are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

i hear you on the dreamcast and saturn.. but just like with them, the wii will have a way to hack into it im sure. .in fact to my knowledge there was a device on joystiq that allowe dyou to play imports or burned disks. think it was wiininja. still havent found it yet..

all in all the only game i want is Gundam, cause it looks tight and plays well.. but its not work another 250 bucks for a japanese system. just wait.. we are only on like the 3rd month of the console's life.. im sure there will be a way to import soon enough, esp with it not bing like a cube and using real disks.

I tend to agree with you about waiting. I'm not in a huge rush at all, at the moment, to import anything Wii but the thought did cross my mind that there might be some cool games available that might never make it here.

I bought AR for the 'cube and used it for 6 games I imported. Was hopeful it might work on the Wii but no-go.

Thanks for the response!

Mendon

I was thinking of doing the same, but more for the VC stuff. I'm guessing the Wii has an ESN or some other way of detecting what region the machine is from no matter where you conect it.

ign said that you can buy vc games on a japanese system here in north america just fine.. you can even use yoru credit card. I really want the gundam game, and if the snk games for vc dont come to america (which ill be shocked if they dont) then ill get a japanese wii for that as well. other than that there really arent any japanese games that i raelly want that arent out here.. im realy hoping Bleach comes to america unlike the ds titltes now that its airing in amercia finally. the series wasnt that great after the first couple dozen episodes, but i heard the ds fighters were really good.