IGNORED

I beat the first stage of Spiderman for the first time today

KAZ

Man this game is fun, fun, fun!

I finally managed to figure out how to complete a stage, and then I beat two, you've got to swing to that TV thing at the top....your web apparently doesn't stick to it.

I think it is awesomely cool when you are falling down a building, and you send off a diagonal spider line, and you just barely get it to stick on something other than a window.

Sometimes you have to send off a diagonal line, because you began falling while you were vertical to a window.

I haven't played other spiderman versions for other consoles, but are there any out there that have the same "feel" as this game does?

Like falling, and barely saving yourself with a spiderweb?

This game goes towards the very top of my favorite list....

Yes! Another Spider-man fan is born! It is a lot of fun, but becareful once you learn the pattern for building 6 you can play forever!

Your web will not stick to the super-bomb at the tomb, you must swing into it to defuse it.

Congratulations on your success! There is a little magic in Spider-man, that falling and catching yourself by a thread thing is part of it!

If you have any questions or problems, just ask! And watch out for pumpkin bombs!

SpiderStan :spidey:

Even as a kid, I remember thinking that Spider Man was one of the best Atari carts around. (In fact, for the most part, I really like most of the games Parker Brothers produced for the 2600.) Spider Man is challenging and fun, and pretty unique in terms of its game play. I too, was astonished to see how far my skills had degenerated once I got the cart as an adult. I haven't spent much time with it recently, but this thread has convinced me to abandon some of my Activision games for a while... :)

I would definitely read the manual (posted on AA), because there's a way to add a huge amount of bonus points to your score at the end of each level. I believe it depends on how many bombs you diffuse, meaning that after you clear away all the bombs on a building, you should let yourself drop to the halfway point again (if you have time) and collect all the "new" bombs that appear.

The reason you want as many points as possible is that with extra lives, you'll get farther, and finally develop that pattern mentioned above. If I get on a Spidey kick and play for a few days (no, not in a row!!), I've found that I can play the last building over and over until I've had enough and simply shut off the VCS (ditto with Yars' Revenge).

CF

You are either incredibly good or you are not playing the "Ultimate Yar" game (9 I think?).

Yeah, once you get the pattern for building six down, it quickly becomes how many bombs/henchmen can you snag before the superbomb is set off, still fun, but gets repetitive.

If you need any tips, please check my strategy guide over at atarinvader.com

:) :) :)

Spiderman definitely is a hoot and even better than Crazy Climber, the game it takes its inspiration from. I like the challenge when you rech the tower before the mega bomb and you have to get the webon those diagnol parts. It aint easy. Also, the added danger of the super bomb being activated if you take too many bombs and criminals. FInally 6 buildings as opposed to three in Crazy climber and the ability to SWING (A great feature) and you got an addictive game and an underrated one from PArker Bros. BTW, not all PArker Bros games were good- Amidar and Suoer CObra come to mind. And I am not a fan of Tutankham.

I haven't played other spiderman versions for other consoles, but are there any out there that have the same "feel" as this game does?

Like falling, and barely saving yourself with a spiderweb?

The old DOS EGA (or whatever) Spiderman game certainly had the same falling and saving feel to it. Additionally there was a bug or cheat that I vaguely remember. From the first screen, go up. I think you come across a helicopter. Then somehow you need to fall down the very edge of the screen (can't remember which side, but I think the left). You fall through the building then you fall through the bottom of a screen and arrive at the last level. Something on the floor is not healty, so you knock a bit of floor out from under the bad guy, he walks back and forth across the floor and quickly dies. Congrats, you've finished the game.

Don't know where you'd find a copy these days though. If anyone can point me to a copy I'll write a better description of the cheat. You know you've got the right version when your health is represented by a pic of spidey that turns into a skeleton.