Solaris

Jr. Pac-man

Midnight magic

Demon Attack

Astroblast

Vanguard

Spy Hunter

Edited by 8th lutz

I've always wanted to see a Mega Man-type game on the 7800. I'm thinking of programming one myself, but I know absolutely nothing about programming in general. Anyone care to help me out?

First things first. You should read up on how the 7800's hardware works. ;)

Thanks for that, but I know nothing about things like registers and addresses and what not. Like I said, I'm a total n00b when it comes to programming. I think the farthest attempt I've made in regards to programming would be making repeated text in BASIC (which is way too easy).

2600:

Jr. Pac-Man

Defender

Defender II

Frostbite

Pitfall!

Pitfall II

H.E.R.O.

Space Invaders

Enduro

Montezuma's Revenge

Jungle Hunt

Moon Patrol

Star Raiders

NES:

Metroid

Zelda

Kid Icarus

Crystalis

Contra

Arkanoid

Elevator Action

Castlevania

Ninja Gaiden

Ice Climber

Snow Bros.

Archon

Lode Runner

And, yes, I know that direct ports of scrolling, tiled games are likely impossible. :P

I'd have to say Mario, or Sonic....

Elevator Action was listed a few times, that game is AWESOME! (at least the NES was, the DMG version sucked IMO)

Zelda was cool for it's time. How about Ultima?

Why would tile games be impossible for the 7800? I know it works differently, scanlines or something, but tiling is pretty easy to translate, at least on computers not designed for it.

Zelda was cool for it's time. How about Ultima?

Why would tile games be impossible for the 7800? I know it works differently, scanlines or something, but tiling is pretty easy to translate, at least on computers not designed for it.

It's not that they're impossible, but thanks to a single data bus shared between the 6502 and the Maria, the more graphics you have on the screen, the less CPU time you get. In a 160 pixel mode it's probably not too bad, but the 320 modes are killer, as I learned with Tubes. There were things that I had to break up into multiple frames because there wasn't enough CPU time left to do them in one frame.

Tile games are somewhat pessimal with Maria graphics. Attempting to do a full-screen background is even more pessimal.

Thanks for that, but I know nothing about things like registers and addresses and what not. Like I said, I'm a total n00b when it comes to programming. I think the farthest attempt I've made in regards to programming would be making repeated text in BASIC (which is way too easy).

I was like that at first, just piddled around with gw-basic on the family Tandy 1000 when I was a kid. When I was first introduced to the concepts of registers and how things like ram worked, the magic went poof! Still, reading on things wouldn't hurt and if some of it sinks in then you'd be better armed than before!

On the topic of games I'd like to see on the 7800, I'd like to have more platformers in the style of SMB, Megaman, Castlevania etc although I wouldn't want actual ports of any game. I'd rather see new games. :)

New games is also a great idea (I'm anxious for a TUBES release)

Don't expect Tubes to released anytime soon, unless someone else is finishing the game, due to the orginal programmer of the game decided to stop developing the game for the 7800.

Edited by 8th lutz

How about Smash TV, has anyone mentioned that one yet? It seems the 7800's architecture would've been really well suited to handle it.

Although I do think it would be a colossal waste for some homebrew programmer today to port a game in his spare time that can already be played effortlessly on some other console. How about an entirely original game for the 7800, like, say a new RPG???