IGNORED

Robot Tank: Strange Days.

StanJr

I just played a serious round of Robot Tank and during one game, I went 6 entire days without any weather! On the sixth day it snowed and my game was shot, but I played 5 full days sans bad weather! Unheard of! I only shot 55 tanks, though, I didn't take full advantage, but I played another game later and shot 60! (personal best!)

Anybody else ever have a weather draught like this?

Robot Stan :)

Never went more than one day without crappy weather. You lucked out there somehow. Have to take advantage and blow everything in sight because you will never have that opportunity again. I played Robot Tank and in the later rounds the tanks get too damn fast and shoot all overthe place to get far. In later rounds I actually don't go after the tanks and keep them behind me so they won't destroy me and wait till the weather lets up. That little trick is a downside to the game in my opinion. You can just keep the baddies behind you and you can't get blasted. I wish there was something in the game that allowed you to fix your tank after it gets damaged. Once it gets hit in the later rounds, forget it. I also wish the game had some power ups that would enhance your tanks abilities. Also, a little variety in the enemies and putting obstacles in would relieve the repetitiveness. All and all a fine game and beats Battlezone on the 2600 in playability.

Battlezone has the edge in enemy variety, but yeah Robot Tank is overall superior. If your treads get knocked out past the second tank squadron, you may as well let yourself get hit. There really should be a way to repair. In later rounds the tanks move to fast to keep behind you for very long, but early on its very useful. That technique does NOT work for Battlezone, however.

Hey hey, I just found Robot Tank yesterday at a flea market. I hadn't played it since about 1984, played some last night.

I thought I liked the game more than I do; after a couple "days" I grew a bit bored with it, mostly because I kept spinning around in snow. Well, I don't get into most FPS shooters anyway, maybe it's just not my genre. Popped it out and had some exhiliarating games of Endure, Stampede, Circus Atari, and Kaboom! I got to day 9 (again) before I lost on Day 9 in Enduro.

Getting back to Robot Tank, I like how the ground and horizon smoothly bobs up & down as you play. It's a great effect. The explosion of the tank is very satisfying. It used to bug me that the shots never moved in true 3D, they scroll with your viewscreen, as does the tank's explosion (it's always center-screen). Just thinks I noticed playing again, no real criticisms on the game since it is a great effort.