IGNORED

Vec-Fu, my Homebrew KungFu Game for the Vectrex

Steril707

Hello,

i hope the moderators here dont mind that i wrote the same post in "Classic Gaming" and also here...If thats the case, i will remove one of them off course...

anyway, here we go... :)

I programmed a homebrew game called "One, Two, Vec-Fu" for good old Vectrex, and you can check out the demo on http://www.vectrex.nl

it's a kung-fu game (a little bit like Yie Ar Kung fu) , and the demo has one enemy to fight against...

have fun icon_smile.gif

Michael

(small edit: If you are searching for a suitable Emulator to play my demo, i would recommend ParaJVE (needs Java installed on your machine though)...

you can get it at:

http://vectrex-emu.blogspot.com/

)

Edited by Steril707

Hello,

i hope the moderators here dont mind that i wrote the same post in "Classic Gaming" and also here...If thats the case, i will remove one of them off course...

anyway, here we go... :)

I programmed a homebrew game called "One, Two, Vec-Fu" for good old Vectrex, and you can check out the demo on www.vectrex.nl

it's a kung-fu game (a little bit like Yie Ar Kung fu) , and the demo has one enemy to fight against...

Thanks! It looks like a good time.

(small edit: If you are searching for a suitable Emulator to play my demo, i would recommend ParaJVE (needs Java installed on your machine though)...

you can get it at:

http://perso.orange.fr/parabellum/bin/Para...?version=070111

)

Looks like the emu is here http://vectrex-emu.blogspot.com/

and links to http://perso.orange.fr/parabellum/bin/Para...?version=070111

Here are some screenshots:

Wow!

That reminds me of something... Did any of those crazy vectrex programmers ever try converting a

episode?

Whenever i ride the undergroundtrain in Munich/Germany i can see La Linea on a big screen while waiting in the trainstations..One time my Girlfriend told me "Hey, that looks like your Vectrex Game"...

:D

Yup, genau das. Ok, kein Steinwurf, aber doch recht nah dran ;)

So, jetzt mal wieder "back to english", so our english friends can understand what we are talking about... :)

I noticed there are quite a few germans around here...Seems vintage console homebrewing (especially 2600) is quite popular in this country...

i wanna try to code something for the 2600 next, looks like a funny machine to work on..

If any game cried out for VecVox support, this is it.

I thought about it, but i don't exactly know where i should include it..

:)

Watch any Kung Fu movie for inspiration. Most of the talking would happen between rounds. Lots of boasting and taunting type stuff. You can throw in some Bruce Lee yowls and such during the fight.

If any game cried out for VecVox support, this is it.

I thought about it, but i don't exactly know where i should include it..

:)

Watch any Kung Fu movie for inspiration. Most of the talking would happen between rounds. Lots of boasting and taunting type stuff. You can throw in some Bruce Lee yowls and such during the fight.

Well, thats what i thought too, but all those Vecvoxx samples i have heard so far sound quite robotic...Not so "Bruce Lee" style...

Well, thats what i thought too, but all those Vecvoxx samples i have heard so far sound quite robotic...Not so "Bruce Lee" style...

You can get more natural-sounding voices with a *lot* of experimentation. A LOT. :twisted: I spent over an hour trying to get a reasonably natural-sounding "Go fish" for a 2600 game.

Edited by vdub_bobby

You can get more natural-sounding voices with a *lot* of experimentation. A LOT. :twisted: I spent over an hour trying to get a reasonably natural-sounding "Go fish" for a 2600 game.

okay, you convinced me, i will look into that... :)

If you just use the defaults you get crappy results. You have to approach voice synthesis almost like sequencing music. Deal with it one phoneme at a time and tweak the pitch and the timing on every syllable and you should be able to make it more natural-sounding. It's also important not to take the phonemes too literally based on the spelling of the words. Use whatever phonemes work for the accent you want to do.