IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 45: Obelix

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over, and no further scores will be accepted.

The year: 50 B.C. The place: a Gaulish village near the Roman outposts of Totorum, Aquarium, Laudanum, and Compendium. Here we find the last outpost of resistance against the legions of Julius Caesar. And who are the leaders of these indomitable fighters against the mighty Roman empire? Who has the gall to oppose Caesar's will? Why, none other than a humble menhir deliveryman named Obelix, and his small but shrewd friend, Asterix.

Game Information

• Game Name: Obelix
  • Released By: Atari, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Shroo-man

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, March 15th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 690,630 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
  2. 468,770 (Nathan Strum) [+10]
  3. 397,450 (Deteacher) [+9]
  4. 350,700 (johnnywc) [+8]
  5. 214,690 (vdub_bobby) [+7]
  6. 14,300 (LarcenTyler) [+6]
  7. 10,370 (scogey) [+5]
  8. 10,340 (ewing92) [+4]
  9. 7450 (oldric) [+3]
  10. 2920 (SpiceWare) [+2]

Best Tips

• Nathan Strum [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. No scores listed!

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Rom Hunter [462]
  2. SpiceWare [331]
  3. Deteacher [279]
  4. keilbaca [175]
  5. LarcenTyler [166]
  6. vdub_bobby [161]
  7. rheffera [133]
  8. Nathan Strum [101]
  9. Goochman [94]
  10. scogey [90]
  11. the 5th ghost [77]
  12. JacobZu7zu7 [80]
  13. BrianC [78]
  14. Cybergoth [73]
  15. shadow460 [72]
  16. shawnb [71]
  17. Christophero Sly [70]
  18. atari2600land [70]
  19. Malc74 [63]
  20. johnnywc [55]
  21. Zoyx [49]
  22. Recycled [46]
  23. theKLT [37]
  24. SeaGtGruff [36]
  25. 128bytes [34]
  26. Jred [26]
  27. Crazy Climber [26]
  28. doctorclu [22]
  • phaxda [21]
  • Captain Beard [20]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • RJ [19]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • ewing92 [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Shannon [11]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • jonfin826 [10]
  • MickG [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • LS_Dracon [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • Mindcircus [5]
  • madbutscher [4]
  • Biter [2]
  • mightymage [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • fire!fire! [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]

Scoring Points in Obelix

• Knocking off a stunned legionnaire: 10, 50, 100, 500 or 1000 points.
  • Knocking off a stunned centurion: 20, 100, 200, 1000 or 2000 points.
  • Knocking off red Romans: point value + 200.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't own the manual for this game, AtariAge has a typed copy of it available online. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't provide any hints.
Some tips:

* Faster soldiers are worth more points, but only move to a fast-moving soldier's row when you're sure the druid won't be coming out. If it's been awhile since the last druid appeared, stick to the slower rows. When the druid is on screen, Obelix can't drop any stones, and any white soldiers will turn red.

* If you do touch a blue soldier as the druid appears, move to another row immediately. The soldier will usually turn red before you can catch the potion. If you can move to a slower "safe" row, you can catch the potion, then go back and get the red soldier.

* Don't try to clear out all of the rows. Keep a slow row below (or above) you, so you can move to that row and just walk in front of a soldier when the druid comes out. If you keep two slow-moving rows next to each other, you can move between them easily to catch the potion.

* When you get the potion, try to clear off all red soldiers, so you have more rows to safely move to. You should be able to hit all soldiers at least once.

* When you have the potion, you can also knock off the blue soldiers, letting you rack up points more quickly.

* Stay near the top of the screen, and just in front of Obelix. It's easier to take out the upper soldiers, and Obelix won't have to walk far before dropping the stone. Try not to touch soldiers that are too far in front of where Obelix is, or they'll turn red before he can clobber them.

* You don't need to go down to the lower levels, except to finish off a round. Generally, you can just stay in the top two or three rows and clear out the soldiers there.

--Zero

frustration....but i like this game alot, ashame it's so rare tho, or else i would have me a copy

just a little weak score to start things off....

*removes bad words yet again* :P

Edited by ewing92

This is what I like about the HSC. I've never played this before and this gives me a reason to! :) Little slow starting off, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty challenging and fun.

141,440 :)

Game gets tough!

post-30-1173468166_thumb.png

Edited by johnnywc

Cool game. Great graphics!

post-2641-1173514475_thumb.png

Some tips:

• Faster soldiers are worth more points, but only move to a fast-moving soldier's row when you're sure the druid won't be coming out. If it's been awhile since the last druid appeared, stick to the slower rows. When the druid is on screen, Obelix can't drop any stones, and any white soldiers will turn red.
  • If you do touch a blue soldier as the druid appears, move to another row immediately. The soldier will usually turn red before you can catch the potion. If you can move to a slower "safe" row, you can catch the potion, then go back and get the red soldier.
  • Don't try to clear out all of the rows. Keep a slow row below (or above) you, so you can move to that row and just walk in front of a soldier when the druid comes out. If you keep two slow-moving rows next to each other, you can move between them easily to catch the potion.
  • When you get the potion, try to clear off all red soldiers, so you have more rows to safely move to. You should be able to hit all soldiers at least once.
  • When you have the potion, you can also knock off the blue soldiers, letting you rack up points more quickly.
  • Stay near the top of the screen, and just in front of Obelix. It's easier to take out the upper soldiers, and Obelix won't have to walk far before dropping the stone. Try not to touch soldiers that are too far in front of where Obelix is, or they'll turn red before he can clobber them.
  • You don't need to go down to the lower levels, except to finish off a round. Generally, you can just stay in the top two or three rows and clear out the soldiers there.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Another score, another tip.

post-2641-1173869723_thumb.jpg

The Druid only comes out when Obelix is all the way over to the left. So keep an eye on Obelix as he gets near the edge of the screen, and get ready to move to a slow row if the Druid appears. If he doesn't, you can safely turn soldiers white while Obelix walks to the other side and back.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Wow, very impressive scores! :o I hope you all had fun with this game, and I hope you'll join us again next week! There's some interesting challenges that could result in big points for you artistic types!

--Zero