IGNORED

jboypacman's Blog - Galaga for the Atari 7800.

RSS Bot

Galaga is a outer space shootem' up from Namco which is a follow up to another Namco outer space shootem' up Galaxian.Both of these games owe more than a nod to Tatio's Space Invaders which was a monster hit at the arcade.

Back in 1984 Atari was to release the Atari 7800 to public.However it was decided to shelf the 7800 and all its games to focus more on the home computer market.

Now fast forward afew years later to 1987.Nintendo releases the NES to the buying public and all hell breaks loose(well not at first).Atari is scrambling now "We better release the 7800 to capitalize on this!" i imagined someone said at Atari.

Well,in any event one of the games released was Namco's Galaga.Which is what we are going to review.

Galaga for the Atari 7800 is a decent home conversion of the Namco hit arcade game.But falls short compared to Nintendo's version of this game.

Not to say that the 7800 version of Galaga is bad by any means but the NES version is just much closer to the arcade version.

Galaga on the 7800 has soild graphics but are slightly off from the arcade,Controls quite well however i feel would be hard to screw up seeing as you just go left or right on the screen.

The sounds are the biggest issues i have with it.Again not bad but they are "off" which seems to be a common thing among some 7800 games(Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr.).But overall they are not terrible just a little diffrent.

So my finally call on this one.I like it. Not a perfect port but a good port.You have to keep in mind that the hardware in the arcade,NES,and Atari 7800 are very diffrent so there will be more than few things that will not be the same.

Galaga is a decent and respectible game and should be in your 7800 collection.Its a good old-fashion arcade game.Lots of fun with some challenge on the harder levels.Thunmbs up.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2995