IGNORED

One of my playstation disks is going bad....??

KAZ

I take really good care of my video game stuff...

My friend and I have logged literally thousands of hours in the past 3 or more years playing Street Fighter Collection 2 for the Sony Playstation.

I notice that the sound is actually starting to sound glitchy.

It sounds like it is going in and out sometimes.

I don't see any fingerprints/dirt/grime on the playstation disk. It is in peak condition as far as I can tell. (I've seen "bad" disks from rental places that are just covered with fingerprints). I don't rent them usually because of this, or I clean them really well.

Is it at all possible that I simply wore this game out from overplaying it?

My other games seem to be doing fine. I just played Rage Racer, and yesterday I was playing Tekken 2. No sound problems with either of those two games.

My friend's controller also took its last breath over the weekend. He's been playing with it for the last like 2 years, and it has gone through alot of abuse. (Those controllers can stand up to intense smashing, you wouldn't believe). I never abuse my controller.

Anything like this happen to anyone else ever? After playing on a game for countless thousands of hours?

There is a slight chance I suppose that this disk is a bit warped.....being put in and out of my playstation so much, I just don't know.

If you have an RF Switch, be sure to check it closely. The older style RF Switches had the channel selector up close to the end that plugged into the console.

The newer versions have the selector closer to the tv connection end. My PSX would get interference occasionally, especially when the rack it was in was bumped. I changed out the RF Switch this weekend, and now the problem is gone.

If you're using the A/V cords, the best bet is to check the connections. It seems unusual that if the disk is bad or if the deck is bad, that only the sound would malfunction.

Good luck!

ò¿ó          smile_to_atari.gif

When you say the sound is glitching, is it music that plays in the background? Generally Playstation games stream music from the CD, so the disc is constantly being read while playing. If the music is glitching, then it could very well be read errors. Have you tried playing any other games to see if they exhibit similar behavior? If so, then it's probably a problem with your Playstation.

However, if only Street Fighter Collection is glitching, then your disc could be going bad. Certainly CDs do go bad, although it's not that common. But it won't be from physical wear and tear, since the only contact with the CD is where it snaps onto the Playstation. Can you see any cloudy spots on the disc surface at all?

..Al

It was mainly the music on Ryu Stage. That's where I seem to notice it the most for some reason. It doesn't seem to affect game play, but sometimes it does seem like the playstation is having a rough time accessing the disk.

The introduction music to Tekken 2 was fine as far as I could tell.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be continuing to try to figure out what is the problem.

The issue isn't having to get a new Street Fighter disk, but I am curious if it is the game (which I suspect it is the game just being plain overplayed, and the disk is "fried" or something).

I looked closely at my playstation disk again, and there is only one tiny smudge near the middle of it, maybe a fingerprint. There is no "cloudyness" on it. It even looks pretty flat and not warped for what I can see.

And as for the model of my playstation, how can I determine that?

I have an older model playstation that was given to me after years of abuse because it was "broken." They had already replaced it with a PS1, so I excepted. I'd heard about how people have to turn them upside down or on end to get them to work properly, so I tried this...(keep in mind that it wouldn't even load ANYHTING)...it works perfectly with it up on end, after cleaning out years of dust&grime and other sticky substances (they had kids :roll: ). It still won't work upright, but works fine on end. The motors in these units seem to where out over the years with constant use and just aren't powerful enough to turn at full speed with the weight of the cd (at least that's my theory), and when releaved of some of theis weight by changing it's position does the trick.

This is sort of a related topic. I have the entire Namco museum collection. Some of the titles (Namco 2, 4, 5) were difficult for me to obtain and I worry sometimes that since I play them so much that I might damage them and then have to obtain another copy.

Are there any programs that will let someone back up a Sony Playstation CD using a regular PC CD-Rom burner or does it require special equipment? I am not interested in ripping off any manufacturers. I am only interested in making backups of those titles that I own.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide for me.

Are there any programs that will let someone back up a Sony Playstation CD using a regular PC CD-Rom burner or does it require special equipment? I am not interested in ripping off any manufacturers. I am only interested in making backups of those titles that I own.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide for me.

Yeah, sure I believe you.

Search the web for a program called: CloneCD

It allows for copying of the error segments of a copy protected CD, such as Playstation's disks. Regular cd copying eliminates these error sections....but they are needed. Manufacturers intentionally stick these "bad sectors" into their cds, because most copy programs are programmed to FIX errors when they encounter them (as if the programs think they are doing you a "favor" by fixing errors, hehe)

So there should be an option in CloneCD for "magnifying bad sectors". So that it copies even these bad sectors.

I'm not an expert at this, but maybe this will give you a good head start.

I think a fast writer is required too, for some technical reason.

Yet another fine example of SONY quality!

First overheating hardware, then came the PS2 scratched disc phenomenon, now the actual discs are becoming unusable all by themselves!!!  I love it!!

Trash talk Sony Playstation all you want, thousands of times over.

Games such as Final Fantasy 7 and 8

Tekken 2

Street Fighter Collection 2

Armored Core

Rage Racer

have provided me with an awesome good time over the years. There is nothing you could say that would change that fact.

Now, I WILL agree that compact disks are more vulnerable than cartridges. So while an Atari 5200 game might last for 100 years, a playstation disk may in fact seriously become warped, or scratched, or whatever over time. This does actually distress me.

10 years from now, for example, will I be able to collect for Playstation much as I do for Atari 2600? I certainly hope so, but I am nervous that disks are just not as durable as a cartridge medium.

This is a problem with disks, not with Sony Playstation. This same phenomenon would occur with any cd disk based gaming system.

Did you know that there is a certain mold that can actually grow ON compact disks if they are exposed to the right amounts of humidity, like if you took some disks with you on a safari in Africa or something.

That is all, carry on :)

Kaz,

Thanks for your help with mentioning CloneCD. I did manage to find the site that has the program but according to the FAQ, it will allow you to make copies of a console CD but the copy will not work on the console. So basically I still have the problem that my Namco CD collection could be damaged and while 1 & 3 are easy to pick up, 2-4-5 could be a problem to replace.

Thanks anyway for trying.

If the copy doesn't work on the Playstation, I'd say it isn't much of a copy. Sorry you haven't found a working solution yet. For one thing, your Playstation must first be "modded", a microchip has to be swapped out or something. There is a hack solution involving a game shark, but I just don't know the details. Game sharks, as you know, bipass the startup screen.

This "mod" works only with older model playstations, since the latter ones had even more sophisticated copy protection technology. I'm just giving you all the information I currently know about this, so take what you can :)

Kaz,

Thanks for your help with mentioning CloneCD. I did manage to find the site that has the program but according to the FAQ, it will allow you to make copies of a console CD but the copy will not work on the console. So basically I still have the problem that my Namco CD collection could be damaged and while 1 & 3 are easy to pick up, 2-4-5 could be a problem to replace.

Thanks anyway for trying.

regardless of what that faq says (obviously trying to discourage piracy), clonecd will copy playstation disks (and Jaguar, and 3DO, and Saturn) if you set it up right as stated above to copy even the bad sectors. At least the version I have has worked fine...so either the faq is purposely misleading or they have a newer version out now that restricts copying of Playstation cd's.

Good grief Adrian.  You SAD SAD MAN!! Just stop it.  This is what got you kicked off last time and it's SO going to happen again!!

Mr. "Painty/Arty Type," :roll: :roll: :roll: (I could make a comment regarding painty/arty types, but I won't since I consider myself somewhat civil)

There is no need to hurl insults at me for what I stated. I only stated true and well-known facts about Sony's supposedly superior systems. These are true fact, I am not making them up.

In the future, please refrain from such harsh and needless criticism. I am indeed a very happy man, so there is no need for you to say otherwise. Now, go on and enjoy your painting and your arts and crafts. That is all.

I remember that problem specially with video and sound working at the same time, I fixed like this, open the ps1, and if u look carefully, in the lens mechanis ther's like a small gold rot, rotating that rot with a small screw driver fixed that problems, there's more detail information in the web i'm pretty sure, i'll look out for it

Osbo