IGNORED

You guys might've given me the bug.

Chris++

I've carelessly thrown the word "silly" around to describe the sort of super-hardcore collector who spends hundreds of dollars on something just because it's rare -- fixating on possession over pleasure -- even if he's never going to play it.

I've given people the wrong idea, miscommunicating my focus on playing over collecting. I actually can understand why someone would be into obtaining everything (reasonably priced -- which I know means something different to everyone) that came out for the 2600, 'cause it's just so...NEAT. And I admit that I wasn't aware of just how close I am to a collector/player. Please realize that "silly" is not meant to be an insulting word -- just an almost-affectionate goofy word, because I'm beginning to understand you folks a lot more. Here's a story...

I take the bus to work. On Friday, I hopped on the last possible bus that would allow me to arrive on time. They come every twenty minutes. On the way, I noticed a garage sale -- down a residential street that the bus happened to be quickly passing by -- and was able to discern THROUGH THE WINDOW that there was a black shape on a table, and that it may or may not have been a game console. And where there's a system, there are games! I instinctively pulled the wire and got off about half a mile away from my job, just to check out this sale. My hand reached up almost before I knew what I was doing.

It was a six-switch with the reset and select toggles broken off. But underneath it was a cardboard box full of carts. I started practically drooling, because although I already had all of the games, they were predominantly VERSIONS I DIDN'T HAVE. I'm starting to care. Is this bad? Should I prepare myself for a less financially stable life?

The only Missile Command I own is an autographed cartridge (I gave Rob Fulop a Sharpie and he signed this one, and my Cosmic Ark). I bought the garage sale cart because it was a non-autographed one, and of COURSE I needed both! I also bought the tele-games Circus, and a bunch of others that only boasted variations in labels from the ones I already had. They were fifty cents each, so it wasn't a huge expenditure or anything. I bought a second Squeeze Box, because...well, how often do you run across Squeeze Box in the wild, right? Ditto for a second Entombed. I walked the rest of the way to work, my briefcase full of carts, and I was late -- but it was worth it! He he heeeee......

I asked the guy if he had any more in the house, and he said no, that was it. But I'll be looking out the bus window every day now. I feel myself changing....arg....argg.....YAAA HA HA HA HAAA!! drool drool drool drool drool

CF, the Improved Atari Monster

I've always been happy with my collection of carts from when I was kid and I've ALWAYS been one of the first to go for playing games I like, rather than looking for games I don't care about. But let me tell you... if I happen to be at a thrift and see a bunch of carts for cheap, I snag those puppies right up! :) I even bought another 2600 system for 6 bucks the other day even though I obviously don't need it.

As far as the 'players mentality' vs. the 'collectors mentality' thing goes. I don't think there's very much of a difference. Because I think that EVERYONE within that group would eagerly slurp up a cache of cheaply priced cartridges or systems anytime. I think the difference is in how much they're willing to PAY. :D

For example.. if a cart is over 50 bucks.. I don't care HOW rare it is, I aint forking out that kind of dough for any cartridge. ;P

Oh, don't misunderstand me. If I can't/don't like to play something, I won't spend more than fifty cents or a buck on it, if I buy it at all. It's neat to get different labels sometimes, just for fun.

Even if I have just one of something I never play, I'll trade it for something I WILL play. It's just that I can understand the fascination with hunting for variations. It's like a game in itself.

People whose entire lives center around it, or who think this stuff is really, truly important, are the ones for whom I feel sorry. But I can relate to the fetish a little more now. It might have something to do with having joined this forum in February and talking about VCS games with fellow Atarians for a few months. Who knows?

CF

I was showing a friend where to solder wires for my 4 switch atari for composite audio/video, when one of the capicitors snapped off! I was highly mad, but I knew of this place in a nearby town who sales all kinds of classic stuff, including ataris and games. So I called and they wanted $50 for a 4 switch atari! The games are $2 apiece, so those aren't bad. So I picked up California Games and Summer Games, but still need an atari. :( The capicitor wires broke off right at the capicitor, so i can't resolder it.

The capicitor wires broke off right at the capicitor, so i can't resolder it.

Go to Radio Shack and get a replacement cap and solder that in place of the broken one. Take it with you and let them find it for you. Just make sure you don't put it in backwards. :)