IGNORED

Swordquest=Best Adventure Game?

MagMax667

I was reading an old issue of Atari Age magazine (Vol. 2, No. 1) and there was a small article titled "Defender Wins Arkie." The article listed several Atari games that won Arcade Awards (Arkies). Defender won the Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Videogame of 1983 award.

As I was reading the article, it said the game that won the Best Adventure game category. The winner was (and brace yourself) SwordQuest Earthworld. How could a swordquest game win any kind of award? I personally don't think Earthworld is THAT bad (it's definitely better than Fireworld), but there HAD to be a better adventure game in 1983.

There were several better adventure games in 83...like Adventure...Haunted House....Raiders of the Lost Ark...Hell...I think even ET and maybe Sneak n Peek are better adventures..and Sneak n Peek isn't even an adventure game per se...but it had better graphics.

Swordquest games in any form...basically...well...Suck...

:P

Swordquest games in any form...basically...well...Suck...

ANY form? I still think my live swordquest idea would rule! To quote from my old post:

Anyone ever consider doing a LIVE Swordquest?  

You could start with a large house with many rooms and in each room put in a table. Then you get a bunch of items (like a coke can, a turnip, a wico joystick, a watermelon, etc.) Then get some contestant to walk around and see if he can figure out what items to put on what table using an old Teenage Ninja Turtles comic book as his guide. Oh man it'll be great!  

Of course you'd have to figure out a few details like maybe having the guy solve some kind of crossword puzzle each time to get the chance to put a watermelon on the table in the living room. And some guys to open or lock doors depending on what items are on what tables.  

It'll be a virtual ADVENTURE!!!!!!1

What do you think? I think it would make a GREAT event for the upcoming Classic Gaming Expo..

*cough*

My first reaction when I saw that article was "How could they choose Swordquest over Raiders?" They both came out around the same time, but Raiders was SO MUCH BETTER!

If there were awards today, the game I'd choose as the Best Adventure Game would be:

Pitfall Harry's Mystery of the Map! :D

Of course, Adventure actually came out in 1980, so it was probably ineligible for the 1983 award.

I don't really care much for either Raiders or the SwordQuest series, but I have to say, at least Raiders is an adventure game. SwordQuest is just a bunch of stupid, inscrutible crap with those annoying doorway sequences in between.

Not that I could've programmed anything better. I'm sure I'd be boasting to this day if I had been the programmer of Star Ship, and even SwordQuest beats the tar out of that.

Come to think of it, would Pitfall! be considered an "adventure" game? I think so. And seeing as how it was released around the same time as SwordQuest EarthWorld, I can only guess that these were Atari-only awards! :roll:

Swordquest isn't really an adventure game at all...just a bunch of random puzzles and extremely difficult reflex testing screens.

I've never before encountered a statement that summed up the Swordquest games so perfectly. :D

eh? I don't remember any puzzles in Swordquest? :lol: :roll: :lolblue:

Raiders of the lost ark is a great game and it should have won. I like the Swordquest games just because of the story line and the prizes that could have been won, but I played waterworld for about 2 hours last night and just when I thougt I knew what to do I found out I was wrong but I won't give up.

:D :ponder: :)