IGNORED

I hope this is the right place to ask this...

General Atarian

this really is not an atari 2600 question, but I will ask anyway because I value this forums opinion.

As you guy know i use 20megsfree as a website place. But I get TONS of popup ads. I know that when some of you visit (thank you) it gets tiresome.

Can you guys recommend any place that lets me have a website without the bombardment of pop up ads. banner ads are okay, I kow that is thier way of advertising. but the pop up ads are getting to much.

Thanks for any help you could give.

They're all going to have pop-up ads eventually. We've been spoiled for a few years -- now our free web pages, free space, free e-mail accounts, etc. etc. are paying off for the hosts. The huge quantity of free space given to us webmasters means that Yahoo, etc. etc. would be crazy not to grab up sponsors and mug you with the ads. At least the extra cash they're getting will ensure the companies' (and our sites') longevity.

It's the equivalent to commercials -- we wouldn't have free television signals without them. (And gee, wouldn't THAT be a bummer...) <---Heavy sarcasm alert

They bug the hell out of me, as well, but at least we can click them off. For now...

CF

For me, it depends on how many ads come up. If I'm visiting a page that gives me three or four at once, I'll leave immediately -- more because I feel a bit indignant about being subjected to so many ads, than because I have to take a few seconds to click them off.

My site's on GeoCities, which only gives you one at a time, and then minimizes it after a few seconds, if you haven't clicked it off. For me, it's worth it, to keep it free (some of us don't even have "a few bucks" to spare during the tougher months, but we still love to write things for our sites). Surely everyone hasn't become so lazy that clicking on an "X" once doesn't make reading some potentially interesting content worth it? It takes longer to get into the 2600 forum from the AA front page than it takes to shut off a pop-up!

CF