IGNORED

How would you rate Ninja Commando by Zepplin

Gunstar

I tried this game a year or two ago(and again tonight), and I like the colorful graphics, but I can't seem to live too long. I'm sure I'd get better if I practice, but so far the game just seems like some mario bros. clone in essence where you just jump around from platform to platform and jump on top of enemy ninjas to destroy them. Is this all there is to this game? Are there any other moves you get or weapons or anything like that? Is my only option to flip around and make sure I land on top of the evil ninjas or die?!? Becuase so far, gameplay wise, super mario is more fun, and I hate that game.

Edited by Gunstar

I tried this game a year or two ago(and again tonight), and I like the colorful graphics, but I can't seem to live too long. I'm sure I'd get better if I practice, but so far the game just seems like some mario bros. clone in essence where you just jump around from platform to platform and jump on top of enemy ninjas to destroy them. Is this all there is to this game? Are there any other moves you get or weapons or anything like that? Is my only option to flip around and make sure I land on top of the evil ninjas or die?!? Becuase so far, gameplay wise, super mario is more fun, and I hate that game.

You can get some better weapons on your way. I remember finishing this game, it's not too long - about 8 levels AFAIK. You start with bare hands but later into the game there are some shurikens and even later you can get some pistol. The most impressive things about this game are the awesome graphics and Gilmore's great music. The playability is much worse though.

Edited by pseudografx

It's just your standard budget game: fair graphics, nice soundtrack, reasonable playability and not much depth. Pretty boring on the whole but not out of place in the market at the time...

A fair review, although i'd disagree with Jimmy Lee's 8/10 because although it's playable in a slightly bland way, it's got the difficulty curve ramped well up. Call it a 6 or a 7 i reckon. =-)

Thanks. I just wanted to know if there was more than at the beginning with no weapons and only one move: jump on top of the enemy or die! I like the GFX and music, but since the learning curve is so high, I find the game too boring in gameplay to play it long enough to get good. So I doubt I'll ever play it long enough to get other weapons just to make it marginally more interesting. It's a shame to me, becuase I like multi-monochromatic coloring in 8-bit games for increased shading/detail as opposed to 4 different colors that lacks detail. The parallax scrolling, though only two levels, is cool too. I wanted to like the game, but it needs moves and weapons like Ninja. Or some more depth to it like techno-ninja.

Thanks. I just wanted to know if there was more than at the beginning with no weapons and only one move: jump on top of the enemy or die! I like the GFX and music, but since the learning curve is so high, I find the game too boring in gameplay to play it long enough to get good. So I doubt I'll ever play it long enough to get other weapons just to make it marginally more interesting. It's a shame to me, becuase I like multi-monochromatic coloring in 8-bit games for increased shading/detail as opposed to 4 different colors that lacks detail. The parallax scrolling, though only two levels, is cool too. I wanted to like the game, but it needs moves and weapons like Ninja. Or some more depth to it like techno-ninja.

In fact it's not that hard to get a better weapon, I played it today and you get an upgrade after killing every 3 opponents. First is a shuriken, which kills one enemy and has only limited range, then a bomb which can kill multiple enemies also on a short distance. Didn't try the other upgrades.

In fact it's not that hard to get a better weapon, I played it today and you get an upgrade after killing every 3 opponents. First is a shuriken, which kills one enemy and has only limited range, then a bomb which can kill multiple enemies also on a short distance. Didn't try the other upgrades.

Well, that's my problem, with the limited move of killing directly from above, I never killed more than one or two before I was toasted, if I kill any at all, and it just didn't even hold my attention long enough to kill 3 enemies. It should have had like a kick and/or puch move to start with and maybe take 1 or 2 hits to kill an opponent depending on the move. Death from above could be the one hit kill. I might play again and just to force myself to get a weapon and see what I can do from there...maybe, maybe not. It's not like there's a shortage of 8-bit games to choose from.

Edited by Gunstar