IGNORED

jboypacman's Blog - Donkey Kong for the Intellivision.

RSS Bot

Donkey Kong for the Intellivision was released by Coleco in 1981 if am correct and while it does has it charm it has its share problems too.

The graphics do there job in the fact that you know your playing Donkey Kong.However,they are lacking a few things...

1)Wheres Donkey Kong's mouth? not a big deal but am sure he could of had a mouth put in by the game programmers.Could it of been that hard?

2)Pauline.Why is she only one color?Again could of it been that hard to at lest make her two colors instead of one?

3)Mario.He just doesnt look like Mario.He is close but he just doesnt look quite right to me.

Other than these i found the graphics to be decent.The barrel on the bottom of the screen says "Oil" on it which i think is cool for some reason and the levels for the most part look like they should.

Sounds are decent too.Nothing to really to fuss about on this.The sounds do there job here.

Controls are good for the most part.I did find that the jumping in the game seems off.You cant really get any distance over the barrels so sometimes you land on top of them and die if your not careful.This doesnt happen all the time but anuff for me to mention it here.Also if you grab the hammer to smash barrels or fireballs i have found that sometimes the barrels or fireballs will pass thru your hammer and kill you as well.Like the jumps this doesnt happen often but anuff for me to mention it here in the review.

They coolest thing about Donkey Kong for the Intellivision is the cart itself.It looks like a Colecovision cart.Its a little longer and thinner but with its label and overall shape you know this is from Coleco.

So whats my final take on Donkey Kong for the Intellivision? While i like it, not everyone will.Most will perfer to bust out there other version of this arcade classic(Colecovision,7800,2600,ect.)its does has it charms but am going to have to give it a thumbs down due to the fact there are so many better versions of this game out there. :(

Sidenote:For thoses of you who want to try out Donkey Kong for the Intellivision please take note that this game will not play on the Intellivision II.You can only play it on the first Intellivision model game system.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=3026