IGNORED

Questions considering Lynx Protos

EricDeLee

Chime in if you have any information you would like to share. I'm simply trying to get more and more info about the Lynx prototypes and whatnot.

We have all seen a lot of protos for sell on ebay. It is safe to say that a lot of these are simply bootleg copies of a rom. That is what I consider the copies of Raiden, Marbolo Man, etc to be. Simple bootleg copies of the games.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take them anyway I can get them. But how can you determine if something is truly a Lynx Proto? I've read numerous things online. I know a few of you here have authentic protos, so perhaps the info I read online is not correct.

For instance:

thing is, Lynx carts weren't really given out as protos or loaners. The game images were put on the Lynx developer BBS, but only in the format that could be loaded into a development unit. They never gave out any bootable EPROMable images, so there is no way that most of these protos could possibly be genuine.
Link

In this case... they are actually saying that the games were never released in cart prototype format. I read it elsewhere as well... but can't seem to find the link right now. But... I like I mentioned earlier, I know a few of you are selling authentic prototypes. They are not cheapo versions that I've seen on ebay. One person was selling Warbirds, Dameons Gate, and Lemmings (I think it was Lemmings).... and of course the EOTB proto is out there as well. These look authentic to me. They seem to be real... yet they contradict what this guy said above. And I believe the people selling these back up their products as well. I know someone on this site will not knowingly sell a fake prototype to someone else on this site. That's just bad mojo and plain silly.

After reading more in the provided link above... it appears a few were actually loaned out in beta format. I guess this would be the same idea as the Lab Loaners for Atari 2600 games. According to him, Road Riot, Raiden and Fat Booby were beta/loaner faormats. (My guess is he is saying that actual carts were made... but on a purplish breadboard... not a green pcb).

So... what information do you all have on the Lynx Protos? How many are out there... real protos and not copied bootlegs?

For that matter... are the supplies for these bootleg copies even available for purchase? Or is it something they do on their own (producing the PCB, etc.)

Yes... lots of questions... but it should make for an interesting topic. Also... if you happen to have pics of real protos... bootlegs, etc... post them. I'll post my bootlegs when I get the chance. I only have 3 of them (Fat Bobby, T-tris, Road Riot???)

Naturally I have several authentic protos. Atari did produce a green Lynx PCB with a screened Atari logo, so presumably they did in fact make sample/eval carts either for in-house or third party use.

I also have a CyberVirus proto on a screened Beyond Games board - only one I've ever seen! And a Lexis proto from Shadowsoft, although it might be on the Atari PCB described above.

Plus I have a number of protos straight from a former Atari employee... if I ever find the time, I am going to sort through them and offer some of them for sale on AA. :)

• 2 years later...

This is an old topic, but just thought I'd bump it for the information.

I later learned that a lot of carts were sent out to be encrypted so that they can be played on commercial hardware.

They were sent to Epix(?) to have RSA coded into it. Thus the reason you see protos with RSA dates.

Do any of you have information regarding RSA dates for Lynx games? Is there a list going anywhere of WIP and different things that have popped up?

I know there are different versions of AvP, Dameonsgate, Warbirds, etc.

Curt sold a ton of Lynx protos a while back. I think he had a picture of nearly 50 or so that he sold.

Were there any documention of these carts? RSA Dates, differences, Final Release Dates, WIP stages... etc?

Just looking to see if anyone has dived into the Lynx Proto world yet. Or... if anyone is interested at all.

I can add more information soon... I have a few protos... but nothing ground breaking like 3 playable characters in AvP or anything like that.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions.

couple up on ebay right now for 20 a piece. Not sure if I care or not but they're there

If they are the ones I'm thinking about then they are repros not original protos. Eric is looking for info about the originals.

Mitch

According to him, Road Riot, Raiden and Fat Booby were beta/loaner formats.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I REALLY want to play that last one, Eric! Those are my favourite kind! :-o :rolling:

Other than making phun of a typo, :roll: I don't have much to add. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my bootleg of Raiden has "Release 3 - CES Version" on the title screen. I'll bet there are a few CES and other trade show demos out there.

Also, my B&C Loopz was a pre-release version. Did it say "Evaluation copy" on it? I don't remember now.

The other "protos" out there are in reality just versions of games, released or unreleased, that were found on various hard drives. Games like Pounce, Lode Runner, etc, coming from Video 61 is but a small example. B&C and Best Electronics has had similiar finds.

Cheers,

Smeg

According to him, Road Riot, Raiden and Fat Booby were beta/loaner formats.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I REALLY want to play that last one, Eric! Those are my favourite kind! :-o :rolling:

Other than making phun of a typo, :roll: I don't have much to add. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my bootleg of Raiden has "Release 3 - CES Version" on the title screen. I'll bet there are a few CES and other trade show demos out there.

Also, my B&C Loopz was a pre-release version. Did it say "Evaluation copy" on it? I don't remember now.

The other "protos" out there are in reality just versions of games, released or unreleased, that were found on various hard drives. Games like Pounce, Lode Runner, etc, coming from Video 61 is but a small example. B&C and Best Electronics has had similiar finds.

Cheers,

Smeg

Smeg....

I think we may be discussing two different areas here.

The protos I am talking about are real protos that came from Atari during the timeframe the Lynx was around, in production and the games were still being produced, coded, and tweaked. I think of these a lot like Atari 2600 Lab Loaners. They are WIP or Final releases.

BC and Video 61 proto reproductions are in a different class in my opinion. To me, they are simply reproductions of what have been found on a hard drive. That does not mean that they suck or anything like that, but I think because they really will never be out of stock on these titles that they are not as collectable as say a cart Atari Produced, sent for coding and actually wrote RSA dates on the label prior to sending out to people for testing or to see what gameplay on real hardware really looks like.

I don't call the video 61 and BC releases much more than reproductions. Obviously the real proto of AvP that was sold a few years back that cam from atari (and had all 3 playable characters) is worth more than BCs reproduction.

But I guess that is my opinion.

So... does a lab loaner count? I've got a Lynx cart that says it's supposed to be returned to (I can't remember the name) someone who worked at Atari. It's an EPROM on one of the green PCBs mentioned above.
It should,in my opinion anyway,Atariman.It sounds like you have a cart from EGM and etc. for review/preview or Telegames for CES showing.What game is it,may I ask?

Yep... just as Chris stated. It is.

All of Curt's old protos are legit items. one of mine coming in this week will have that same sticker... "Please return to... " I think it says a girls name. I can't remember right now. I've slept since then...

On that note... sell it to me LOL

Edited by EricDeLee

BTW... Fat Booby is awesome. LOL

Heh. :D Yeah, I really had nothing useful to add to this thread. I just felt compelled to comment.

My mind reels, thinking about what type of game that could be. Perhaps it's a Lynx version of a American Hero-type game... softcore goodness. Or it's a shoot-em-up... oh my, where DO the bullets come out of? :twisted:

Okay, I'm done.

I have no true protos, only repros. Nothing to see here. Move along. :P

Cheers,

Smeg

So... does a lab loaner count? I've got a Lynx cart that says it's supposed to be returned to (I can't remember the name) someone who worked at Atari. It's an EPROM on one of the green PCBs mentioned above.
It should,in my opinion anyway,Atariman.It sounds like you have a cart from EGM and etc. for review/preview or Telegames for CES showing.What game is it,may I ask?

It's just Cyberball 2072 - not exactly the best game :)

Yep... just as Chris stated. It is.

All of Curt's old protos are legit items. one of mine coming in this week will have that same sticker... "Please return to... " I think it says a girls name. I can't remember right now. I've slept since then...

On that note... sell it to me LOL

Sounds like Julie Wade to me.She used to show games at the Telegames booth to EGM,GamePro and etc. for Atari during the CES shows.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting side notes on Protos...

I've aquired 2 Super Asteroids/Missile Command protos recently.

I tested the first one side by side with the commercially released game. I believe they are identical. Eventually I can check it out later by really looking into it. But... for the most part they are the same from what the nekkid eye can see.

The second Super Asteroids/Missile Command proto is much much different. Even more so than I had originally thought. I haven't done a lot with it yet, but one of the first things I noticed was that the copyright date on the proto says 1992 on the title screen. The commercially released game states 1994. Not really a big difference, but still cool. But, things change after that.

If you allow the attract screen for Asteroids to continue, it will show you your obstacles and the point values for those. (this is following the credits...) It shows, Weapons, Shield and Speed. It shows one Alien ship (looks like a big UFO) and it also shows the asteroids (large, medium and small). (I think this proto shows one less item at the bottom of the screen, and one less alien ship compared to the commercially released version)

Then, when you get into the game, you'll notice the difference right away. The space ship (the one you control to fight off the asteroids and UFOs) is BIG. I'm talking about the same size as perhaps the ship in Raiden.

I thought that was the only difference until I picked it up last night to really take a look at it. When you start, you have your normal Super Asteroids for the Lynx screen we are normally used to. Except there are more things going on with this proto. You've got your level indicator in the top left corner, point, your ship count in the top right corner, and at the bottom right you have your Shield bar. Right next to that, you will see a number. This indicates how many objects are out there to shoot before you go to the next level. So that portion is new.

Then, you notice a bunch of yellow arrows around the perimeter of the screen. This is telling you the direction of an object that is off screen. Not... hit your boosters and you are flying around a galaxy HUNTING for these objects and then shooting them. The best way I can describe it: if you have played Sinistar, the galaxy and open playfield is a lot like that. Your ship can go in all directions as far as you want. the little arrows move accordingly to show you where your objective is if you get off of track. By adding this open galaxy that you fly through in search of items to blast, you basically create a whole new game experience.

It is a different game and pretty cool. I'm wondering why it got changed. Perhaps it got away from the asteroids 'feel' from the arcade. I'm not really sure, but I can imagine that is some of it. It does slow the game down a bit trying to hunt things down, and controlling your ship. But it is a really cool differences. I will try to take some screen shots later. I saved a few on my PSP... I just have to figure out where they are to upload them here later this evening.