IGNORED

It's working...it's WORKING!!! Finally got DCquake running

Gunstar

Yep! I finally conquered my cdr demons, and the final two discs in my ten pack actually worked! I guess 8 coasters isn't bad if I never waste anymore...now I just have to get to my local Goodwill where I saw expansion&sequel disks for PC Quake and all those great levels&adventures that I can use with DCQuake (although I'll have to burn a new disk with all the levels, but at least I'll be getting it all LEGALLY by buying the origianl PC games, used (the DC discs of quake are my backups :D ). I saw like three or four boxes of Quake&expansion discs for a couple bucks apiece! Now to get more cdr's and start making more DC disks with all the cool underground/homebrew titles coming out! And DIVX movies!

Fast and smooth, probably better than when it was first released on the PC, not to mention the texture filtering and other DC special effects. It's commercial quality all the way, but of course you can only get the shareware levels off the sites that have it for download. You have to come up with the WAD files needed for more levels from somewhere else like buying the PC versions, unless you already have the PC versions, then just include the .wad files from them on the disc you burn.

Bottom line, it looks and runs just as good as any other FPS on the DC, except for Quake III: Arena and Unreal Tournament (which are better). Half-life would have blown it away had it been released. But for free, you get the DC port from Titan Studios, a commercial software developer, and all the origianl PC levels are available to use.

No. the version I have currently is only the original shareware levels and NO music at all. But there are what look to be really easy ways of putting what ever music tracks on it that you want! Once I get more sequels/levels(.wad files), I'll burn another one and add my own music. I'm going to put some diverse songs on it that will go well with the theme, like the song "...everybody was kung-fu fighting...," and 'walking on a thin line' by Huey Lewis&The News, 'TNT' and 'High Voltage' by AC/DC, 'One' and 'Ride the lightning' by Metallica...you get the picture. The NIN version your talking about is just a disk image someone like you or I made up and put on the net.

would you mind posting a tutorial using Nero.  The one on DCemulation is for an older version of Nero and I cannot get it to work.  

And if you used the mod to make it work without the keyboard that would be useful to.  

Thanks

That would be good, I always have problems with the audio bits and the mixed-mode CD feature on 5.5.8.0 never works for DC. Ive had PSone games working but the same method doesnt do for DC. :? :?

would you mind posting a tutorial using Nero.  The one on DCemulation is for an older version of Nero and I cannot get it to work.  

And if you used the mod to make it work without the keyboard that would be useful to.  

Thanks

All I've done so far, is to create a cdr of an already available NERO image of only the shareware levels. But, you start out by running Nero and it asks you to make a choice between two options, I think they are cd to cd and image to cd the window with cartoon pictures of cd's with faces), your supposed to click on one and then select [next] DO NOT DO THIS!!! Instead close out the window without selecting anything, DO NOT HIT [NEXT]! Once this has gone away, you'll be left with the NERO window. Select NEW, when the window changes, you're not really going to start a "new" session, instead select "open" under [file]. Once the image is "mounted" you'll be brought to a "write cd" window, make sure the speed is set at 4x and disk-at-once is selected also. Click on [write] and let the rest happen. The Quake image I used is also NOT self booting, I created a UTOPIA cdr to boot with...

I think that you do need to know that I too, tried using several tutorials without much luck and a LOT of frisbees instead of working cdr's. When I finally got everything working right, I had 5 or 6 tutorials about using NERO, the format the DC cdr's need to be in, and tutorials on burning the specific programs, like Utopia Boot cd and DCQuake ( more than one on each topic). I used steps from everyone of them to finally get it to work. Some things were omitted in some and other things in other tutorials. The best and most complete one seems to be a DOS based application for burning DC cdr's using the MS-dos command line. I'll be using this to make my full DCQuake game as soon as I buy the PCQuake games. But, if you don't know MS-dos and using command lines/batch files, then you should stick with the cd burning progs in windows (NERO/DISCJUGGLER/CLONECD/ETC). The only way it's going tio happen is either by good luck or practice and a lot of ruined cdr's. I've wasted close to 20 cdr's, although not all just for Quake, but just learning to burn discs in general. At least they sell for about a buck apiece... :roll:

You can, if you know what you are doing, create your own self-booting disk with the music and levels you want, but I have not attempted this YET. I just took my first baby steps and finally got the boot disk and Quake disks burned properly.

DOH! I've been hosed!!! I went back to the goodwill where I'd seen the PC Quake games (several versions) that I was going to use for my QuakeDC (.WAD files for levels), which had been sitting untouched for months marked at a few bucks apiece, and now that I want them, they're gone!!! Murphy's Law...ain't that always the way...so my full versions of QuakeDC will have to wait! :x