IGNORED

Qix 5200 control vs. 8 bit control

Paranoid

I actually find that I have more precise control with the stock 5200 controllers on Qix than with an 8 bit with an Atari CX-46/FB2 joystick.

Anyone else agree? I notice that I unintentionally launch my Qix more often on the 8 bit version.

I still would like to see 8-bit qix hacked to you have to hit the button to launch, then you could immediately release the button to fast draw, or keep it pressed for slow draw. That seems like the best solution with a one button stick IMO.

--Ken

edit: and by 8-bit version I mean the version I think was hacked from the 5200 version unless there were two 8-bit released

Edited by kenfused

I actually find that I have more precise control with the stock 5200 controllers on Qix than with an 8 bit with an Atari CX-46/FB2 joystick.

Anyone else agree? I notice that I unintentionally launch my Qix more often on the 8 bit version.

I think the Qix is the bad guy, not your guy :)

I don't know about 5200 controllers (don't yet have 5200 Qix), but I definitely prefer the arcade controls, with 2 "draw" buttons, for the same reason. You don't "launch" unless you're holding down one or the other of the draw buttons.

On the other hand, I can still play either of the 8-bit versions without throwing the controller across the room. The one-button control scheme doesn't completely ruin the game for me.

The annoying thing I've noticed about both the arcade and 8-bit versions: In emulation, neither one works worth a damn with a D-pad controller. I have to use the Stelladaptor with a Wico or Atari stick... though the arcade version needs two buttons to play properly (Stelladaptor doesn't support that, not even on a Proline). Fortunately I've got a real 8-bit to play the 8-bit version(s) on. I like the hacked 5200/8-bit conversion better than the old 8-bit cart version, but only a little better (I grew up with the old cart version, got very used to it).

I acquired my first ever 5200 a few weeks ago...and then gave it away a week later.

The stock controllers are not good for the games most people are likely to use them for. However, I agree that in the case of Qix, they are pretty good. The 5200 cart release of Qix is better than the A8 cart release. This wasn't a good enough reason for me to keep the 5200, though.

@Urchlay - I can play the game OK in emulators with a D-pad. I think it just takes a little getting used to.

Qix is one of those games that I keep going back to, and usually it's the much-maligned 8-bit version that I go for.

I can play the game OK in emulators with a D-pad. I think it just takes a little getting used to.

Maybe it's just the particular D-pads I've tried it with, then (one Logitech, one Saitek, both wireless). I actually have better control with the analog thumb-sticks on these controllers, which is still pretty bad... I can still play the arcade version in MAME with the Stelladaptor, and just not use the slow-draw mode, or (for a really challenging game), not use the fast-draw mode.

To tell the truth... I'm actually better with the PC keyboard in MAME Qix than I am with my D-pads.

Deathtrap... that is too bad... you should have given the 5200 a longer chance, and maybe looked up a digital controller.

Of course, I suppose you're mostly an 8-bit person, and it is true that you can "more or less" play all of the most important titles there, too.

Anyhow, I knew there were two versions, I should have been clear, I was playing the 5200 conversion... *and* playing in emulation with a Stelladaptor...

But I knew that the no-button to release the Quark (?) was what was killing me and that this was somehow different on the original 5200 version.

The instructions don't say what your name is. They just call you "Marker"...

I am Jack's Marker. I don't draw fast enough, I launch when I am not supposed to. I get Jack fried...