IGNORED

Geting power into a lynx; Batteries or Powersupply?

per

What would you recomend to use to power up your lynx. I have heard that the lynx breakes much faster if you use a powersupply, and it drains batteries pretty fast too (if you use batteries). What would you recommend to use :??

*Edit*

I am talking about the Lynx II.

Edited by per

I've never heard that using a power supply would damage the lynx (of course, if you use the wrong power rateing, that would definately do it)

I think it'll really depend on what you want to do with it. If you want it for on the go, get you som Nicad or some Lithiom batteries, they last much longer and are rechargeable. Of course, if it'll never see the outside of your house, there's no reason not to use a proper voltage PSU to run it instead.

I've been using a universal power supply for my Lynx for about 15 years now and never had a problem. The power indicator light is a little flaky but the Lynx works fine. I acquired a D-cell power pack a year or so ago and that works great too. I don't think I've stuck AAs in it since the first few months I've owned it.

It is some crruction on two of the battery contacts, not that green kind of coruction, but just a little normal rusty. So this lower the battery lifetime with about 1 hour.

My next question is:

Can you use ANY kind of 9V DC adapter on it?

I wrote this topic because I want to be sure I can use a powersuppy safely on my lynx.

I don't have a Lynx-produced powersupply, but I have other 9V DC power supplies.

*Edit*

By the way, I started this topic because of Post #2 from the topic: "Lynx 2: repair help needed - only blank screen".

Edited by per

I don't have a Lynx-produced powersupply, but I have other 9V DC power supplies.

The Lynx can be safely run from most power supplies. But the best thing is to have a power supply the provides well filtered power close to what the Lynx needs. If the supply outputs too high voltages then the Lynx turns the excess power to heat. And hot chips is not good for the Lynx.

But if you have a real Lynx power supply or something that looks like it contained some quality you should be safe.

You could also try to drop the voltages if you have an adjustable supply. I have an old adjustable supply with 6V and 9V settings and the Lynx runs happily on both settings.

But don't run it on 12V or more. It may run nicely but it will also run very, very hot.

--

Karri

• 2 weeks later...