IGNORED

Info needed non-standard RF input

Gunstar

I picked up this SVGA monitor today, circa 1997, which doubles as a composite monitor/TV, complete with RCA inputs and an RF input, but the RF input is of a type I've not come across before. Does anyone here have any experience with this type (see photo below)? Are adapters available for this at someplace like Radioshack or would I have to build my own?

I'm asking here first becuase this is the main computer forum I hang at and I intend to use this monitor with 8-bits and 2600/5200 through the RF(while at the same time using VGA with an adapter for high-res mono on my Mega STE).

post-149-1174184941_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

(while at the same time using VGA with an adapter for high-res mono on my Mega STE).

Btw, don't know if it would be interesting for you. But it is very possible that this monitor can be used for ST color resolutions as well.

Sure, if I hook up via RF or make a composite video cable, but I already have an SC1224 color RGB for those resolutions. I already have a VGA monitor and RGB hooked up to my ST, I am just going to exchange this one with the current VGA monitor so it can do double or triple duty instead of just ST monochrome. Unless you mean that it has RGB lines on the VGA plug and can sync down to 15Khz or what ever...I suppose it's possible, I don't have the original manual to know all it's abilities, but I also don't have an ST to VGA cable made for that either. My SC1224 is doing just fine.

The plug became a standard here.

Shockingly bad one at that. The centre connector easily gets damaged and you often have to crimp it closed with pliers to get a decent connection. The plugs fall out with very little force.

Would have been way better if BNC was the standard but then it'd cost them another dollar for the socket mount.

That's just a standard antenna socket, like most TVs here have (and the US, I'd assume).

There are adaptors and gender changers available to convert the various forms of antenna plugs in common use.

No, that's my point, it ISN'T standard in the U.S. we use either coaxil or RCA style plugs for RF over here. Like the pictures below.

And I have to either buy or make an adapter changing it to one of these below, the most likely being the RCA style to the left as that's the style coming out of the 2600, 5200 and most other game consoles made. Our TV's generally have the coaxil in the picture on the right, and we use a switch box like the one below that these plugs are on, or a RCA to coaxil adapter. Which is why I'm not sure that I can get an adapter for this monitor's RF input here in the states, hence the topic.

post-149-1174198909_thumb.jpg

post-149-1174198939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

Unless you mean that it has RGB lines on the VGA plug and can sync down to 15Khz or what ever...

Yes, that's what I meant. If the monitor accepts RF and Video Composite, then it means that it does can sync at 15KHz. Conceivable it might not accept that frequency at the VGA port, only at the other ones, but this wouldn't make much sense and it is not very likely.

Yeah, I assumed you already have a color monitor for the ST. Just wanted to mention the possibility.

I didn't realise it wasn't a common US standard.

I have owned probably 2 capture cards which use the RCA style socket, and have an adaptor which converts to the socket your monitor uses - so you should easily find an adaptor which converts back.

If not, it would be simple to just build a custom cable with under $5 worth of parts.

I didn't realise it wasn't a common US standard.

I had thought maybe the topic title or my first post would have clued you in? No? :roll:

Specifically the part were I refer to a NON-STANDARD RF input? No? Maybe the part where I said it was a type I had never come across before? Yes? Maybe? No...well we can't all be rocket scientists...

Edited by Gunstar

Hey, even our Stock Atari 800XL came with a RF cable to that type of RF plug.

So it's a standard. Perhaps just not where you live.

Never mind :) Want a RF cable for that socket? I will give you mine for free, too, just pay the shipping, ok?

Edited by Beetle

Well, maybe next time I won't even bother attempting to help.

And, it isn't "non-standard". The rest of the world doesn't have to do things the way it's done where you live.

attempt is the key word there, and not even a good one, let's see, you tell me it's standard where you come from, which helps me 0%, then you guess it's standard where I come from, which I just stated plainly in the title it isn't, so that helps me 0%. Then you act like a pompous jerk, accusing me of being a pompous american which helps me 0%. While all the time it was you who were pompous in assuming that our standard has to be YOUR standard. And all of this was paramount to calling me an idiot, as if I wouldn't know what my own standard is. Please, don't bother.

Edited by Gunstar

Hey, even our Stock Atari 800XL came with a RF cable to that type of RF plug.

So it's a standard. Perhaps just not where you live.

Never mind :) Want a RF cable for that socket? I will give you mine for free, too, just pay the shipping, ok?

That is extremely kind of you, and I appreciate the help. PM me with your info and I'll paypal you.