IGNORED

Snow White & RS Basketball at CGE

Tempest

I just saw the front page story, is this the same version of RS Basketball that's been floating around for years, or is it a different one? What makes it more complete? Also, how are they going to release Snow White without Disney jumping all over them? Seems to be a big risk for a game that I would call barely playable (unless someone figured out that river scene).

Tempest

Well I'd be more worried about the mobs of people who will come back and kill him after they realize that the game is really really incomplete. Unless a new version has turned up or they figured out something new about the game all you can do is grab gems in the mine then go to a river screen and drown. There's only slightly more gameplay involved than say in Pompeii. Definately not the kind of thing I'd want to blow large sums of money on. I'm guessing they must have found out something more about the game or they wouldn't be selling it.

Tempest

Hiho,

it's no secret that SW is far from being a finished and playable game. This is the backside text:

"Snow White needs your help! The jealous Queen is planing to put Snow White into eternal slumber. Are you fast enough to get the help of Prince Charming to defeat the evil plans of the Queen?

This is an early prototype of the never-released Atari game SNOW WHITE, done by Greg Easter. The status of the game is about 30% finished, and only the first scene is playable, so this release is more a collector's item than a player's item.

2 SKILL LEVELS

ONE PLAYER

UNRELEASED PROTOTYPE

UNFINISHED, 1 SCENE PLAYABLE

Use your Joystick Controller with this Game ProgramTM cartridge.

For use with North American and other NTSC television sets only."

I have no premission of Disney (I guess it would be impossible to get), so there is a good chance that someone may contact them to prevent the release. If this happens it happens... I have made a 100 copies (the box states a max of 250 like C2 and RSBB (which is the corrected version by Thomas in NTSC and PAL)) with a very nice artwork (also without premission). If there is more interest in SW I may produce another stack (up to the max of 250).

The ROM will be released on the CGE.

Take care,

Marc

>> The river scene is playable

I had a feeling there was more to that scene than just drowning your dwarf (does that sound dirty or what?). Unfortunatly I didn't get a chance to play it myself, I just saw it very briefly so my knowledge of the game is limited. Has anyone been able to contact Greg and ask him about the game?

Tempest

Is the ROM out, or only for special persons? Have I miss something? :?

River Scene Snow White ??? :?

OK, I think only for special persons is the ROM out. So I will wait.

I hope I can get too a game from Snow White with Box and Manual.

@ Marc,

can you reserve me one game? :?:

I would like to buy one, so please reserve me one, if you can do it. :)

So what I am to understand is that the copies of Snow White that are to be sold in Vegas are not complete games, they are only 30% programmed and there might be a chance that they may not be sold if Disney says anything, this sucks, this game was one of the main reasons I was going to fly to the show!!

:? :? :_(

What sucks is that a guy with the macho moniker "PITBULL" is disappointed that the girly-sissy-game "Snow White" may be unavailable. ;)

All joking aside, there are a TON of CGE releases other than just SW's release. Off the top of my head is Pick-Up, Save the Whales, and Crack'd for the 2600; an as-of-yet-unidentified new Vextrex game and Vectrex Boxing; 4 CD-I games; Atari 7800 Missing in Action...Whew! Plus, I know of three or four other 2600 games that should be released at CGE (I'm not at liberty to say anything else). So, there's *plenty* of new stuff for ya, Pitbull! Plus, I'll buy ya a beer if you show up, so there's yet another reason to attend!

"Snider-man"

P.S. I plan to pick up SW too, if available. It's for my....daughter. yeah, that's it...

All joking aside, there are a TON of CGE releases other than just SW's release.

We will also have several 2600 and 5200 titles available at our booth for sale, some new, some previously released. We will be making announcements soon regarding them. These are all homebrew titles and there are no real surprises among them, but for several CGE will be their debut. :)

So there will definitely be a large onslaught of new games to be purchased at CGE, both homebrews and prototype releases. It's going to be a very expensive proposition, at least if you're planning on getting as many of the titles as you can.

..Al

(Banging head repeatedly on desk)

Okay, say I strain hard enough to see it through someone's point of view who just wants to OWN an incomplete program for the 2600. Is the repackaging necessary? Please don't mistake this for an attempt at starting another heated thread. It's probably just harmless fun, this concocting of bootleg packaging.

But is it an unconscious attempt to pretend that there's still a thriving 2600 industry in a modern retail sense? Does having to buy everything new that comes out, regardless of whether it's fabricated and unofficial or not, place "us" in the same blind-consumer category as a kid who has to have the latest style of Nike?

These are questions, asked in the hopes that I'll get opinions that are different from mine and that I might understand this POSSESION OVER PLEASURE addiction. I've begun to jump at any chance of getting different versions of the same games, because I think they're nifty objects, as long as I don't spend a lot; but it's mainly because I like to play the games themselves. You get me? They're PLAYABLE.

Thanks for any answers --

Peaceful Chris

I personally like the whole effort of packaging, manuals and such. It sort of gives more to the whole essence of the game release then just the carts themselves. Its also nice to see all of the creativity that goes into making the boxes and manuals and in the end in someones collection, they have an area devoted to boxed homebrews and repackaged unreleased games.

I originally went with the idea of doing the old 80's homebrew effort packaging with the 7800 high score carts and while I think I caught the right look and feel, I honestly liked being able to give people carts in the custom retro-look boxes that I had made, I even brough empty boxes to Phillyclassic last year and handed them out to anyone who had previously bought the cart in the original plastic bag packaging.

Now, what somebody should have some fun doing is taking images of all of the homebrews & unreleased and doing one of those foldup game cartridge posters that Atari did with its Atari Stars catalog and the later (and cheaper looking) Atari Advantage posters. It would detail all of the homebrews and all of the repackaged unreleased games, the original programmers, package designers and release dates, that would be cool.

Curt

:)

Hmmm...the poster-catalog *would be cool. If I didn't have a zillion irons in the fire already, I'd think about tackling it myself.

Chris, you raise a good point/question, and I'll answer ya to the best of my ability/experience. I, too, consider myself a game-player - not a collector. Label condition means nothing to me. I will pick up a rare cart if it's a game I consider "fun." If something sits on my shelf unplayed too long, onto eBay it goes or it gets traded for something "better." (And my definition of "better" changes daily.)

However, I like the new "repackaged" classics that have been surfacing recently. Combat II was very cool, though the ROM was easily available online. Bugs Bunny was a cool re-release. If LOTR was ever packaged/sold this way, you'd bet I'd be there to pick up a copy.

Now, Snow White is, as stated, incomplete and barely playable. Well, so was CGE 2001's release of Elevator Action (buggy and without sound). But I picked up a copy because:

1. it was an arcade game I loved and to have a 2600 version - though incomplete - is still pretty cool.

2. the packaging was a true kick to "what might have been."

3. the game itself was still "playable" enough to be very enjoyable.

Snow White is one of those games that was only heard-of in hushed proto rumors in darkened backalleys until it surfaced. The ROM may or may not be released because Disney may squelch the "general release" of such a thing. So this may be the only chance someone has to see/play/judge how good/bad/incomplete the game is. Frankly, for me, it's worth $30-$40 just for the chance to tinker with a previously-unreleased proto.

Let's not even get into the Atari/Disney collector mentality that some folks may have.

So, though it may seem silly to purchase a 30% complete game just for the "purty box," I can say that I don't mind shelling out that kind of $$$ just for the chance to own something that was never out in the public before. It's not a "collector" mentality for me. It's a "really goddamn curious as to what this thing really looks/plays like" mentality.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong. ;)

FYI: The story of Snow White is in the public domain. It is not a creation of Disney. So Disney is powerless to do anything to prevent the release of the game. While they do drive copyright extentions to protect their rodent, they cannot grant protections to something that was already public property when they used it.

The story of Snow White is in the public domain, true. But "*Disney's* Snow White" (see opening screenshot) is a viable, trademarked, copyrighted, legally-owned creation of Der Mouse. 'Fraid your point just took a shot to the kidneys. The ROM has "Disney" physically in there, making it a Disney property.

(Banging head repeatedly on desk)

Okay, say I strain hard enough to see it through someone's point of view who just wants to OWN an incomplete program for the 2600. Is the repackaging necessary? Please don't mistake this for an attempt at starting another heated thread. It's probably just harmless fun, this concocting of bootleg packaging.

But is it an unconscious attempt to pretend that there's still a thriving 2600 industry in a modern retail sense? Does having to buy everything new that comes out, regardless of whether it's fabricated and unofficial or not, place "us" in the same blind-consumer category as a kid who has to have the latest style of Nike?

These are questions, asked in the hopes that I'll get opinions that are different from mine and that I might understand this POSSESION OVER PLEASURE addiction. I've begun to jump at any chance of getting different versions of the same games, because I think they're nifty objects, as long as I don't spend a lot; but it's mainly because I like to play the games themselves. You get me? They're PLAYABLE.

Thanks for any answers --

Peaceful Chris

In this case, I would have to agree with Chris. There are times when prototypes are worth the cost and effort to obtain. Maybe because the buyer is a completist, maybe he/she wished to play the game when the first pics were shown 15 years ago, maybe there's some sentimental value. But in the case of Snow White, this is clearly a case of trying to capitalize on the classic gaming prototype craze. Honestly, I appreciate what is being done, but the game is unfinished and to an extreme degree! Maybe this is better off just being released as a rom until some enterprising coder can add to substance to it.

I'm a collector myself and I have gone to great lengths to find items vital to my collection, but incomplete carts are just not worth the time and effort it takes to get them. Are you honestly going to play one level? Chances are no. The game will be relegated to your shelf where it will sit and presumably increase in value.

It's your time and money, please choose wisely.

Well guys...the bottom line with Snow White is that you know what you will be getting up-front. It can be said that this part is "playable" or that part isn't, but in the end, it's about 30% complete. For the most part, it's really just going to be something that will look very cool up on your shelf with the rest of your collection. If that doesn't do it for you, take a pass on that title. I know for a fact that Marc is not expecting it to be nearly as popular as Combat II was which is why he's not making all that many copies.

As for RealSports Basketball, hopefully Marc will comment on that soon. I may have been mistaken in what I posted about it on the CGE page.

Hiho,

regarding the RS BB: It's the old ROM image from my prototype which was released 2 years ago. The only difference is the scanline correction made by Thomas Jentzsch. I have also made a couple of PAL version carts (ROM image also modified by Thomas). The game is fully playable but a little unpolished.

I know that these games are not a great new releases but scince I have made the artwork, boxes, etc. a long time ago I decided to do them.

Take care,

Marc