IGNORED

5200 4 port mod

Charlie_

Best Electronics has a kit. The price is $5.00, part number is CB101184.

You will want to double check your 5200 before you get this because some 4 port 5200s are already factory modified. Of course, you probably already knew this.

As far as I'm aware, it shouldn't affect the compatibility of any games.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

From the 5200 FAQ:

4.9 -- HOW CAN THE 4-PORT MODEL BE MODIFIED TO WORK WITH THE VCS

CARTRIDGE ADAPTER?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Early 5200s that have four joystick ports cannot accept the VCS

(2600) adapter unless modifications are made. However, Best

Electronics offers an adapter kit which allows the use of the VCS

adapter on 4-port models.

*** NOTE -- Owners of 4-port 5200 machines with an "*" as part of

the serial number are in luck. Atari apparently made a small run of

VCS-compatible 4-port units before changing over to the 2-port units.

The Atari-History.com site has instructions on how to do the mod without the kit, but it seems to be down right now.

Mitch

Ah, so what you meant was to look for the *

both my 5200 4 ports do not have this star. But a very kind person is sending me 2 atari mod kits.

What im really hoping is that the 2 port system im picking up tomorrow is one that magicaly works with everything. If not, I'll install one of these mod kits.

Again, Thanks.

Charlie

What im really hoping is that the 2 port system im picking up tomorrow is one that magicaly works with everything.

Yeah, that's what I've got. It's the only two port I've found in the wild. All of the others have been 4 ports. If I ever find another 2 port, I'm planning on doing a comparison to find out what the difference is that makes mine compatible with all the games.

Mitch

Well I got my 2 port system. They are nice. I like the satin black finish vs the shiny black. Anyhow, my 2 port does not run pitfall. :-( and that sux, its my favorite 5200 game next to berzerk. Ah well, maybe some day a kind fellow 5200 fan will sell me a 2 port that does run pitfall.

On the other hand, I have 2 mod kits coming for the 4 ports, im gonna mod one of mine and this will give me the ability to run everything including the 2600 adaptor. Even though I'll still have to use that crappy 4 port RF. I just dont like the idea that power is coming so close to the TV tuner. Thats why i plug it into my cable box. If it goes bad and Zaps the cable box, its not mine. :-)

Charlie

I think I found an easy way to tell if a 4 port has the * without even looking at the serial number...

Look at where the power light goes on. If you can see a "hole" its got the * if you cant it doesnt. Example:The 2 port clearly has a circle "hole" for the power light to shine through.

Can anyone verify this? I just won an ebay auction (paid too much) because the guy told me it does have a * in the serial number. Looking at his picture, you can see the same power light hole that my 2 port has. No matter what way I look at my 4 port (with no *) you cant see a hole there.

Charlie

• 20 years later...
On 11/2/2001 at 2:15 AM, Genki said:

They just loaded fine on my computer. In fact I saved all 3 pages of the info so if you guys are still having problem drop me a line and I'll email them to you.

Hi,

Could you please email them to me

Thanks

11 hours ago, WSS said:

Hi,

Could you please email them to me

Thanks

Kudos for signing up an account and replying, but given that the last reply to the thread was almost 21 years ago you may be waiting a while for that email :-D

See the attachment to this post for what you're looking for.

Atari_5200_VCS_Adapter_Modification.pdf