IGNORED

Overclocking a lynx, How?

per

I have seen a lynx on e-bay with a overclocking swich that makes it run at 24Mhz instead of 20Mhz (The auction has ended a while ago so I can't guarantee the link).

Source :arrow: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

So my question is: How do I overclock a lynx? And is it possible to overclock a lynx II?

*Edit*

If the link doesn't work, try this :arrow: http://www.odiesoft.de/Lynx/Lynx_Sammlung.html

Edited by per

It should be noted that this doesn't actually improve game execution in any way (lag will still be there). All of the Lynx "overclocking" hacks just replace the main crystal to make the entire console run faster (therefore, the refresh, and game itself is running much quicker than normal).

I wonder if anyone has attempted to individually give a higher clock to Mikey or Suzy. The faster graphic drawing of an overclocked Suzy could be neat if everything doesn't completely fall out of sync.

Anyway, Overclocking sounds unsafe (It is unsafe many times too). Better not try. I have only one Lynx, and I don't want to waste it.

Feeding too high of a clock into the Lynx won't damage it (true for many other older consoles), although the process of replacing the 16Mhz crystal could cause significant damage if done incorrectly ;) .

You have to take care of these Lynxes, especially if yours still has a working power jack ;)

power jack? what is that? the jack plug is for the comlynx cable, not the power supply.

I usually call the DC/AC in of anything the power jack.

But anyway, the DC in of the Lynx II's tend to break, rendering you only to play on batteries (The jack was not soldered down properly, and would commonly rip off the board). Hence why you're quite lucky to have a working one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious.. Is it really worth it to overclock? I mean would you really notice and appreciate the difference in speed?

One reason for overclocking was to get the serial port baudrate higher. The highest standard speed on the PC serial port that matches the Lynx is 9600 baud. The higher Lynx speeds 31250 and 62500 bauds are not supported by PC hardware. By changing the xtal in the Lynx you can make the Lynx connect at standard speeds 38400 or 57600. For a developer it makes a big difference to wait for 20 minutes or 5 minutes to get the program transferred.

But overclocking for more speed will make ComLynxing impossible.

Today there is a more attractive way of making a PC serial port work faster. There are USB - serial chips for 15 euros that have adjustable baud rates that match the higher Lynx speeds directly.

--

Karri

• 1 month later...
Is it worth increasing the speed of the 4mhz cpu while keeping the the video and sound chips running at 16mhz? I'd imagine that games would run more smoothly, but at the same speed.

The sound and video refresh circuitry are integrated into Mickey with the 65C02, so you can't really bump up the 65C02 without effecting the refresh and sound frequency. You'd probably be best off overclocking Suzy with a 20Mhz or so clock to get faster graphic draws, but I can't speak for how well it can endure the higher clock. Since the Lynx uses shared RAM, some botched writes could lead to very interesting results.