IGNORED

Help me!

ulikemeinoit

A Tantalum capicitor broke off at number C241, and I was wondering if I could still play it without hurting the atari, because I am not handy with a soldering iron, and no radio shack near by, :(

Well, without knowing what this capacitor belongs on and it's value/packing (axial or radial) it's hard to begin to help. Please provide more details.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at the AtariAge schematics. They only list the capacitors on the PAL schematics. If the ill system is a PAL system, or if the capacitor designations match up with the NTSC units (my guess is they don't), then the capacitor is in an oscillation circut for the TIA. Without it, there will be no video signal, and since the games sync to the video signal, there will be no game.

The schematics claim the capacitor has 820pF of capacitance. Because it is in an oscillation circut, it should be replaced with a capacitor of the same or similar capacitance. It should also be the same kind. ulikemeinoit indicated a tantalum type capacitor. The voltage spec of the capacitor does not matter much; anything above 5v will likely work, and above 15v will surely work. That is true even if the capacitor is used for something else.

Of course, all this is made on the assumption of good schematics on AtariAge and that the PAL schematics properly identify C241.

If the schematics on my web site are correct then that is a very important capacitor. It's in the power regulator section and you probably won't get the correct voltage to the system without it.

I took a look at those schematics, and they look very suspicious. First of all, it looks like the output voltage is listed as +6 volts (looks closer to +&) which is not correct. It should be +5. Secondly, the voltage regulator part is listed as a 7906, which produces -6 volts when connected to common ground and between -8 to -15 or so volts. It could still be connected to act like +6 volts, but the potential difference is still one volt too much. In any case, lack of the capacitor would only cause the voltage regulator to heat up more from voltage fluctuations on the power input (and AC with unregulated AC to DC power supplies). Without the capacitor, the proper voltage should still be output, at least until the voltage regulator overheats. But since these schematics look wrong, that may well be a moot point.

I got a 50 volt capacitor but the other systematics is the same, could i use that? Also, I made it battery operated, and i have a 8 AA holder, would that work also?

A 50 volt capacitor should work, assuming its other aspects, as I mentioned above, are suitable. Also, you don't need a battery operated capacitor. Really.

the capacitor has the same stats except its 50 volts instead of 100. The atari is battery operated, not the capacitor. The AAs last longer than a 9 volt!

Unless I'm mistaken, with the unlikely exception of the RF modulator, there isn't a point in the Atari where there is even 25 volts. Put in your capacitor and see what happens, if you can.