IGNORED

Thinking of getting an Gamecube any advise?

kevin242

I recently picked up Mario Sunshine in an auction and the same seller is also auctioning off WarioWorld. I watched the trailer for this game and it looks to have somewhat better visuals than Sunshine does. The reviews don't really help me because they all say the game is good and then give it medium score for un original control and gameplay, well that doesn't mean it's not fun. Has anyone on here played it? Is it worth picking up?

Kev

I personally love Wario World for the Game Cube. It's indeed awesome looking. As for unoriginal controlls, I believe it jacked most of them (if not all) from Mario 64 and Sunshine.

The gameplay is more 2D in nature. It is a 3D game, but uh...kinda hard to explain. You can walk towards the screen and away, but most the action as going to be moving right continaully, like going down a road I guess is the closest description I could come up with.

I didn't think this hurt the gameplay at all personally. If your into Mario style gameplay, I'd say definately pick this one up.

Meh! I say get a Cube. They are easy to come by, inexpensive, and the GameBoy Player is a must have. Not to mention they are reasonably rugged little boxes. I've seen a few deaders in my adventures, but the mortality rate doesn't seem as bad as some of the other modern boxes. -- from my personal sample group and my friends who have cubes.

Wii units will pop up eventually, but for less than $100 you can start playing now and just keep it as a spare when you do get a Wii. (or if you can find a GBPlayer you may just want to keep it around for that purpose alone.)

Personally, I've taken up the idea of having spare decks for the express purpose of having a replacement on hand in the event of a failure.

Hex.

[ "Know your rights..." --The Clash ]

My advise is to get a Wii, but that's just me because I like to suffer xD.

Wii's still aren't available around here unless you want to spend $350+!! I ended up getting a cube last week. For 69 dollars I got a like new platinum GC with a memory card, controller and all cables in original box w/4 games (zelda wind walker, metroid prime, tiger woods golf and resident evil). That's not a bad deal and I'm thinking by the time I get most of the great Gamecube games and tire/beat them it will be late summer or fall and I Wii's will be plentiful plus the best games will be coming out for the Wii by then...

I'd recommend getting Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 - Rebel Strike. That's been one of my fav GC games besides the Zelda ones. Rogue Squadron 3 has value for me as my daughter and I can play the RS 2 co-op levels. I would have loved to see a Rogue Squadron based around the prequel trilogy.

Last week, I picked up a Gameboy Player over the local car boot sale for £1.

I have two GC's myself - an original issue black one with screen which I picked up on eBay as a spare and a pearl white one which I brought from Game in the UK when my original purple one (which my wife got me one Christmas) went bust.

For my £80, I got the Mario Strike Football pack (my daughter and I have had lots of fun with that one) and the shop bundled Sonic Riders and Ice Age 2 with it (I sold that one for £30 later).

I'd recommend getting Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 - Rebel Strike. That's been one of my fav GC games besides the Zelda ones. Rogue Squadron 3 has value for me as my daughter and I can play the RS 2 co-op levels. I would have loved to see a Rogue Squadron based around the prequel trilogy.

so many people have recommended this game, I took your advice and checked Ebay. I got lucky and picked it up for 1/2 a buck!!! with shipping it still comes to about 7 dollars. I'm having alot of fun with Wind Walker and sort of kicking myself for not getting a Cube when it was new, but I sure am getting a lot of bang for the buck now!!

Thanks

Kev

I just got finished playing Star Wars: New Droid Battles with the gameboy player and it rocks!!! I've played other games withit and it does lose a little resoution (made for a tiny screen after all) but it looked pretty good!

I wanna get a copy of RS2, now. I have RS3 and it's okay. Heading to ebay!

Nathan

RS 2 is better than RS 3

The best Death Star levels of any Star Wars games!

The chance to unlock the Episode 1 Naboo Fighter!

Play using a TIE fighter as the good guys!

I got mine on eBay for £20 including p&p on a Buy-It-Now when I had my first Gamecube. They misspelt the game so no-one brought it when they had the chance.

RS 2 is better than RS 3

Yeah.

And as dumb as the onfoot levels are (the spaceship and walker levels are somewhat decent), one of my biggest disappointments is this: when they made 2 player versions of RS2 missions, a brilliant idea, they cranked up the difficulty. BAD IDEA. I was hoping I could guide a newbie through these levels, maybe struggling myself because I was a little rusty. NO F'IN WAY. They cranked up the bad guys so that you need two skilled players near the top of their game in order to get through.

Such dumb game design! They probably had to go out of their way to do that! But they totally missed the point of throwing in nostalgia levels like that... it wasn't that gamers were jonesing for a big challenge they had to take on with a friend ... if they were going to do that they at least needed a difficulty select...

Well, for Games, I liked Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros Melee, Digimon Rumble Arena, StarFox Dinosaur plannet, and Picman. Yeah, probably lame everybody will say....

actually I picked up Pikman 2 today and it is a lot of fun! I find the suggestions from people on this thread to be much better than going through what are considered the top games for the system. Maybe it's because we all share the common interest of older games as well so we value playability over graphics but whatever the reason it works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have Three gamecubes right now and a wii: one is a black one modded with a purple l.e.d., one is a silver cube that I bought from ebay listed as defective that not only ended up being a simple fix but was still covered under a warranty, and then I have another silver older non hd port cube modded with a viper chip.

I plan on modding my wii with a wiikey once the warranty expires. And initially, I did have problems with my black cube when I bought it used back in 2003, but once I replaced the laser with a new one from www.xboxrepairguide.com, it has been working perfectly since.

The best game I ever played on my Gamecube was Resident Evil 4. Make sure you get it!

It's on the way... I have about 20+ (almost every game mentioned in this thread) games for the Gamecube, all of them awesome and under 20 dollars most under $10... I have to say the Gamecube at this stage of the game is the by far the most bang for the buck you can get. Lots of fun...

I know it has gotten a few bad reviews but I'm gonna plug it cause I really like the game: Lego Star Wars and Lego Star Wars II. I got them both and they're just plain fun, even if there's no risk of dying.

I still haven't figured out what the GBA does when it's connected.

Nathan

I continue to buy GameCube games...in fact, it's basically all I'm buying these days apart from the odd DS game. GameCube games I've added to my collection recently include Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Mega Man X Collection, The Sims: Bustin' Out, The Sims 2, and TimeSplitters: Future Perfect.

I continue to buy GameCube games...in fact, it's basically all I'm buying these days apart from the odd DS game. GameCube games I've added to my collection recently include Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Mega Man X Collection, The Sims: Bustin' Out, The Sims 2, and TimeSplitters: Future Perfect.

How is Timesplitters? I almost picked that one up. Is it a good play??

How is Timesplitters? I almost picked that one up. Is it a good play??

I liked it quite a lot. Same core team that made Golden Eye I've heard. The co-op story mode is especially well done. Fun FPS that doesn't take itself too seriously and has fun with cliches of pop culture.