IGNORED

VC Games - what won't make it to VC?

Bivotar

I have been enjoying the VC games immensely, and have been playing them probably more than actual Wii games. I look forward to the Monday releases and there have been some real gems coming out. However, I wonder if we will ever see the likes of some games like the multitude of Disney SNES/Genesis games that came out.

I had a lot of fun "back in the day" with games like Castle of Illusions and the Donald Duck (Quack Shots?) games. But I really wonder if there will be licensing issues with releasing these. Also games that are name branded or tied to movies.

Just curious. :?

Actually you state the prices of the VC games are high. That is true for some of them, but not true for others.

R-type for the TG-16 is basically $8 through the VC. But it costs much more than that through Ebay for the actual Hucard. Same for Splatterhouse and New Adventure Island.

On the Genesis front we paid $8 for Toe Jam and Earl, and for Gunstar Heroes. But those games would also cost more in their actual form if I wanted to play them on my Genesis. Beyond Oasis I haven't checked Ebay pricing for lately, but I know that here in Tulsa it sells for considerably more than $8.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. For me I find the games to be resonably priced compared to the costs for me to actually aquire the real deal for play on a console. When you add up cost for gas, tax, and having to hook up the console to play the game on, then the price for the VC version doesn't seem bad at all. $5 for SMB may seem crazy, but my nintendo still needs a new cart connector, plus I'm not really sure where my actual cart of SMB for the NES is. So $5 saves me cost and time and allows me to play it immediately without the hassle.

The addition of the save states is really a neat feature as well for these VC titles. And while the same is true for emulating them on my PC. I don't have to wait for my PC to boot or even get my lazy butt outta bed to switch between internet, Sonic Secret Rings, and then over to SMB, or TJ&E or whatever I might feel like playing.

The convience factor in this I think makes the prices very reasonable when it is all said and done.

At the moment, I doubt the Square/Enix RPG catalog will appear on the VC. They can sell them for more on portables. Although, the high prices of VC games may enough to make it tempting for them to do it.

You're exactly right on this. Now that the 2D FF games have all been re-released, look for Chronotrigger to be next on the handheld front. I also don't believe that we will see any game in the US that was never previously released in the US.

I don't think these will see a VC release, mainly for copyright reasons:

Star Wars games (the Super Nintendo games, the arcade games, the N64 games)

Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Goldeneye 007 (unless M$ + Nintendo have a secret marriage or something)

Nights into Dreams and other Saturn games (too large)

Tetrisphere (just because I want it)

Interesting ideas about the Square/Enix games, but I would think the (re)milking of Final Fantasy would (re)commence about a year after FFVI's GBA release.

I would love to be proven wrong, of course.

You guys always forget that you cannot RESELL a VC game. So if i buy a cartridge of ebay or fleamarket, i can resell it if i want, but if i dont like the game or finished playing it, i cannot even lend it to my friends...

So, yes, i think these games are expensive with those limitations.

You guys always forget that you cannot RESELL a VC game. So if i buy a cartridge of ebay or fleamarket, i can resell it if i want, but if i dont like the game or finished playing it, i cannot even lend it to my friends...

So, yes, i think these games are expensive with those limitations.

:?: I didn't forget that.

So far every VC game I purchased I actually have the original cart for too. I just don't have the time/space to hook up multiple systems. It's all about the convenience for me.

I was just wondering what games we are not likely to see hit the VC, due mainly to concerns about licensing.

Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Goldeneye 007 (unless M$ + Nintendo have a secret marriage or something)

Rare has actually relased more games for Nintendo's portable systems than it has for Microsoft's systems since being bought out by Microsoft, however I doubt we'll being seeing any of these games for the VC since Microsoft is in the console business and not the handheld business and we'll never ever see Goldeneye released even if Rare released games for the VC because of licencing issues.

That is the only problem I see with having both SNES and Genesis available on the VC. We are pretty much guaranteed to always get the SNES versions of a game that was avail on both Genny and SNES back in the day.

In some cases this might be just fine, but not so in others where the Genesis versions might be considered superior. I honestly can't think of any good comparisons, because I only have about 20 SNES games compared to the 200+ Genny games I actually own. So I don't have any games that appear on both systems of my own to do comparisons. But I thought many felt that the SF game available on the Genesis was better than the SNES versions?

Hopefully if MK comes to the VC it will be the SNES version of MKII...which is the best of the series IMHO.

That would be cool. SNES MK2 rocks. Of those 16bit era conversions, only the 32X version is better, and the improvement is only very marginal.

But I think I'll settle for the arcade version on the PS3 for $5 instead. :P

Assuming the Playstation Store people ever get off their asses and make it available. :roll:

I preferred the Genesis version of MK2. The SNES version looked better, but overall I think the Genesis version played faster/better. On the other hand, just pick up Midway Treasures 2 for the Cube for the best version! I'm actually not sure how that would work though as the original console versions were done by Acclaim.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to expect my favorite game Popeye likely won't see release as Nintendo doesn't hold the license anymore :(