IGNORED

I am trying my hardest to like Touchdown Football

godzillajoe

It's not easy. Though it does help to read the manual.

At least now I know that passing is as follows

2 button clicks = pass to the guy at the top of the screen

1 button click = pass to the guy at the bottom of the screen

Still, this game is really frustrating but I'm determined to play one full game.

Anyone actually LIKE this one?

That's not true.

I just tried it, running down and tapping twice to pass up and running up and tapping once to pass down.

That's the way it's described in the manual

Otherwise you could only pass in the same direction your QB is moving.

The game is lousy enough as is without adding THAT as a limitation

This was actually my favorite football game for a while back when the C-64 was a current system. The only flaw with the game in my opinion is that the computer opponent is not very good and you can easily run up the score and stop the computer from scoring at all. I know a lot of people who hated the game, but it certainly has its charms. I have the 7800 version as well (as well as the PCjr version, which is probably the best version ever made), but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I wonder how it compares?

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

I like realsports football on the 2600 too much.

Yikes. Never been a fan.

I think Super Football is the best football game on ANY Atari console!

I guess for me, it's a nostalgia thing. That was the first football game I ever had (I was 5 at the time when I got RS Football and Pac-Man. That was a good birthday!).

-John

(as well as the PCjr version, which is probably the best version ever made)

I think that's because Imagic did that version. I have it as well, and for a 20 year old football game, it is very good.

Tempest

I thought Imagic did all the versions and EA just published the game on certain platforms (IBM for the PCjr)? I'll have to see what the credits say for the Atari cartridge version...

Somewhat related, do you happen to have the Imagic baseball game for the PCjr? I don't have it and always thought it looked really good back in the day...

I think that's because Imagic did that version. I have it as well, and for a 20 year old football game, it is very good.

Tempest

I thought Imagic did all the versions and EA just published the game on certain platforms (IBM for the PCjr)? I'll have to see what the credits say for the Atari cartridge version...

Somewhat related, do you happen to have the Imagic baseball game for the PCjr? I don't have it and always thought it looked really good back in the day...

I thought Imagineering did the 7800 version? I know it wasn't Imagic for sure.

Nope, I don't have the Baseball game. Do you know the name of it? If you search for PCjr and my name you'll find a post where I was trying to make a list of all the IBM PCjr games that came in those older plastic style cases. If you can fill in anything on that list it would be great. I don't recall having a Baseball game on there.

Tempest

Tempest

I thought Imagineering did the 7800 version? I know it wasn't Imagic for sure.

Nope, I don't have the Baseball game. Do you know the name of it? If you search for PCjr and my name you'll find a post where I was trying to make a list of all the IBM PCjr games that came in those older plastic style cases. If you can fill in anything on that list it would be great. I don't recall having a Baseball game on there.

Tempest

I believe it was "Grand Slam Baseball" (I don't think in any way related to Cosmi's later game on the C-64, though I could be wrong). I don't recall ever seeing it, though it probably was released in 1984. I'll need to look for the old Imagic ads. Perhaps this was shortly before Imagic folded and no one picked the game because the Jr was dead? (but then you would think a conversion for the Tandy 1000 would have been done)

Yeah, this game is lacking a lot, obviously. Many 7800 games seem rushed, and this is one of them. I do still enjoy it, although it doesn't get played that often. I was never impressed with the 2600 offerings of football, either, though. So this could still very well be my favorite Atari football game.

7800 Touchdown Football isn't worth the effort; it's a half-hearted, half-baked cart that's only good as a "guilt-free donor" for new homebrew games.

As others have said, football on Atari's 8-bit consoles was perfected by Doug Neubauer with 2600 Super Football. I think O'Shea's still has them for $5 each, and there are a few available on eBay as well.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 years later...