IGNORED

Ocean City -- variant? bootleg??

gaterooze

Hi,

I was about to sell this cart when I did a little more research and realized it wasn't 'just' Ocean City Defender after all (although the game is the same, the cart is a variant of some kind):

OceanCity1.jpg

OceanCity2.jpg

OceanCity3.jpg

Is this a bootleg?

I'm in Australia if that helps to identify it.

How rare is this cart? Any idea what kind of price range I should be looking at if I sold it?

Thanks!

Are these labels the origin of the word "Pirate" to describe copied games and software?  I've seen a few labels like this and I found a "Crab Control" cart with this label a while ago that I sold on eBay.

This seems to be one of the most commonly used images on pirate labels. We've seen it on quite a few different carts. I have no idea how the term "Pirate" came to describe pirated games, but I doubt this label had anything to do with it. :)

..Al

I have no idea how the term "Pirate" came to describe pirated games, but I doubt this label had anything to do with it.   :)

..Al

That'll be from days of old when Pirates stole things.

If something is commercially exploited, like a Spanish ship on its way back from south America full of gold, the people doing the thieving are called pirates. So in modern day terms, when you copy or steal a CD, film, game or anything you are pirating it.

:ahoy:

Ship ahoy me ole hearties!

Adam

That'll be from days of old when Pirates stole things.

But it's an awfully big jump from murder on the high seas to making a copy of 4k of code.

Its an aaaawwwwwwffffuuuulllllyyyy big jump from a 1MHz Z80 to a 2GHz Pentium 4 but they are both still called processors.

Word for word the Oxford English Dictionary definition of 'piracy' is -

"pirate /seafaring robber attacking other ships.; a ship used by a pirate,; 2 one who infringes anothers copyright or business rights or who broadcasts without authorization. -v.t. - to plunder.; 3 to reproduce (a book etc) or trade (goods) without due authorization - Piracy,(n)."

Adam