IGNORED

Bill Hogue Interview. No BBSB cart. Not Profitable.

Allan

Just in case somebody didn't read this. The interview below with Bill Hogue talks about making a new 5200 cart of Miner and Bounty Bob and states that 'he looked into it and wasn't profitable'. :(

It's kind of funny though that he thought it actually would be profitable. :rolling:

I guess I'm never going to play BBSB on my 5200. :(

I guess I'll have try to find it in the wild for cheap. (Yea, right.)

http://www.armchairempire.com/Interviews/m...-bill-hogue.htm

Allan

Well that bites. I could have saved him some research and told him it wasn't going to be profitable a long time ago.

I guess I owe a double thanks now to the person who gave me my BBSB. :D

Did you say 'give' as appossed to 'sell'? You are a lucky man, my friend.

Allan

If he just wants a profit, how about if someone here offers him a royalty and releases it? Getting money for something done twenty years ago and having no plans to otherwise make any anything off of it again sounds like a good profit margin to me.

Hell I'll pay the royalty fee as long as it isn't too much per unit sold.

EDIT: That is if I was selling the carts that is.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Not profitable doesn't mean he only wants to make money--it could mean

he is not willing to lose a good chunk of money on a project to please a

relatively small number of fans. Too bad though.

I guess that depends on how he wanted to release it. For example if he wanted to make new cart shells than yes he would lose the shirt off of his back. If he had used one of the boards already designed than that would have saved him a lot of development time. But if he settled for reusing Atari's shells than it wouldn't be that expensive. I think he wanted to go all out with everything new (shells, boards, boxes, manuals, etc.) or not do it at all. Which of course would mean that it was never going to happen.

Allan

Everthink he doesn't want to de-value the existing copies.. They are soewhat treasures on their own, and a market filled with repros no matter how different would affect that..

Now that being said, I want a repro, no matter what. i'd never be able to afford a real copy made back when as it's never going to be realistic. I'm sure eventually i will get Zaxxon and Meteorites, but BB SB will always elude me unless someone makes a copy of it for me.

GrandviewCoin

Classics: You must play WoW, Minus 50DKP for you for holding up the raid again!

Dang, that sucks that Bill isn't going to go through with the project. I read a long time ago that he was going to do that combo Miner/BB cart deal. Actually, I own a BB cart and have thought about selling it over the past year or so. One of the things that actually made me feel better (less guilty) about possibly selling my cart was that I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to get another copy (Bill's new version) somewhere down the line in case I really missed it and wanted to play it again. Now that it sounds like he won't be producing any, it'll be harder for me to let go of my BB cart when/if that time comes.

Everthink he doesn't want to de-value the existing copies.. They are soewhat treasures on their own, and a market filled with repros no matter how different would affect that..

I really don't get that line of thinking. Collectors want the original, value usually doesn't drop.

Just a thought, but what if an escrow type of account could be set up where we could make a payment for the BBSB / Miner 2049er, showing Bill Hogue the commitment up front. Then maybe he would reconsider. I have BBSB and I would like to have his reproduction. If he still turned it down, credit to the Atari Age store, or a refund to all who paid up front.

Why doesn't he create 'emulator' compatible binaries (a800win+ or VSS compat.) and do what star roms did with some arcade roms a little while back

I was told that the A8 cartridge version of BBSB is much rarer then the 5200 version, it was only released on the A8 on cassette and disk in the UK, and perhaps only disk in the states

I was told that the A8 cartridge version of BBSB is much rarer then the 5200 version, it was only released on the A8 on cassette and disk in the UK, and perhaps only disk in the states

It was definitely released as a cart in the US, as I bought one when it came out. Not sure which is rarer, the 5200 or 8-bit cart. I know the 5200 version goes for considerably more. In fact, the 5200 BBSB cart is the only one I am missing from my collection (and I even have the box and poster!) I do prefer the 8-bit version since you need to make very precise movements with BBSB and can use a regular 2600 joystick (never tried 5200 BBSB with a 2600 stick and a Redemption adapter, since I don't have the cart).

..Al

It was definitely released as a cart in the US, as I bought one when it came out. Not sure which is rarer, the 5200 or 8-bit cart. I know the 5200 version goes for considerably more. In fact, the 5200 BBSB cart is the only one I am missing from my collection (and I even have the box and poster!) I do prefer the 8-bit version since you need to make very precise movements with BBSB and can use a regular 2600 joystick (never tried 5200 BBSB with a 2600 stick and a Redemption adapter, since I don't have the cart).

..Al

You jammy so and so, there again i do remember seeing sillica shop list the cart version on their A8 software catalog they had (the 1986/7 edition, not the later one they did), i am therefore assuming/guessing that they were dealing with Big five directly and not going through US gold, i don't know if sillica actually STOCKED the A8 cart version, i only remember the tape and/or disk version

the 5200 version goes for considerably more. In fact, the 5200 BBSB cart is the only one I am missing from my collection (and I even have the box and poster!) I do prefer the 8-bit version since you need to make very precise movements with BBSB and can use a regular 2600 joystick (never tried 5200 BBSB with a 2600 stick and a Redemption adapter, since I don't have the cart).

I've played with my Redemption and 5200 RSI, and it's sooooooooo much better than the stock controllers which are a complete exercise in masochism for this game. :lol: