IGNORED

The five worst games for the Lynx

bergbros

The Lynx was truly a syatem ahead of its time but some games on it were truly awful. I looked down my list and I found five games that only the die hard collector will have:

1. Pitfighter- Terrible graphics, gameplay and controls. And it was a horrible arcade game to boot.

2. Batman Returns- Absolutely impssible to play with boring graphics.

3. Gordo 106- Terribly oppressive storyline. Terribly boring game.

4. Super Off Road- Buggy and unplayable.

5. Basketbrawl- An offensive game with no redeeming qualities.

Dishonorable Mention- Cyberball

I'm middle of the road on Batman. I thought it was hard to play but my son managed to complete the first level on his first try by just running past everything (silly me for thinking I actually had to fight the bad guys). It's not really my favorite type of game but I don't think I would put it in the bottom 5.

I also have to disagree on Gordo 106. I actually like this game. It's not in my top 10 but I still think it's fairly fun to play and I thought the running monkey was hilarious the first time I saw it.

My bottom 5 would have to be:

Pitfighter: for the reason originally mentioned

BasketBrawl: ditto

Tournament Cyberball 2072: It was an ok arcade game but I find the Lynx version hard to play and fustrating. The graphics are passable at best.

NFL Football: I like football games, I really do. but this is even worse than Cyberball in play, graphics, sounds, & enjoyablity.

Switchblade II: The graphics are boring. The sounds aren't too bad but far from unique. The play is way too easy so as to take any challenge out of it. Younger players may like it though but I haven't played it since the couple of times right after I got it.

I dont have Super Off Road so I cannot comment on that one.

Gordo is decent in my opinion, and I actually really like Switchblade II... although I admit that it's rather monotonous. My bottom five would be (not necessarily in this order):

Super Off-Road - Almost unplayable. I don't know how this one got past testing.

Robo-Squash - Horrendously boring! 3D Pong is a fine concept, but there's absolutely nothing more to this game that I have found. Does something happen after all 16 spheres are claimed? I tried to do it once, but gave up out of boredom.

World Class Soccer - Almost as unplayable as Super Off-Road... maybe I'm just getting a bad framerate from Handy, but I can't even tell what's going on until I get scored on.

Basketbrawl, Pit Fighter - Blah blah, I don't have to explain these two.

--Zero

Robo-Squash - Horrendously boring! 3D Pong is a fine concept, but there's absolutely nothing more to this game that I have found. Does something happen after all 16 spheres are claimed? I tried to do it once, but gave up out of boredom.  

I also originally had this opinion about the game until I received a second copy and was able to play it head to head. Playing the computer was ok (alright I thought it was boring too) but playing another player actually jumped this game up a few notches for me.

World Class Soccer - Almost as unplayable as Super Off-Road... maybe I'm just getting a bad framerate from Handy, but I can't even tell what's going on until I get scored on.

On the other hand I thought Euro Soccer Challenge was a great game. I've only played it on Handy but have it on my list of "must haves"

Dirty Larry: Well the graphics are ok, it has a nice intro. The sound is not the best. But the worst thing about this little game is the lack of playability! You can only move right or left. The gameplay is boring, you are going to get tired of this game in a few minutes. And I also think the game is to hard :(

• 2 weeks later...

I must be the only person who can get any kind of enjoyment out of Pit Fighter. Do I think it's a good game? Not really, but I can at least have fun with it.

However, Tournament Cyberball has got to be right up there with Basketbrawl for the title of Worst Lynx Game Ever. It's a pity, too, because the arcade game rocked.

I'll put Dirty Larry right up there, too. Pretty graphics do not a game make.

• 2 months later...

Pit Fighter is one of my all time favorite games and the greatest fighting game ever made. I have never played the Lynx version but there is a store near me that has 3 or 4 copies of it for only $10. I am going to buy it. I have had 2 Lynx's in my life so far and going to buy another one soon at that same store. They have 3 for only $40 and 2 of them come with screen covers, I think they might be brand new as well. When I had my first lynx it was the original model and my second was the new model and I liked the old one alot better. When I used to play my old one I always wished thet made Pit Fighter for it. When they did I was happy but never bought it. Now I am going to go and buy a new Lynx and Pit Fighter and I canot wait!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

See, I really like Batman Returns. It's colorful, animated, has good music and audio, responsive controls, lots of enemies, a variety of weapons to collect, bosses, and each level is quite different. My only complaint about the game is that it's hard! Especially on the 2nd level, it's easy to get killed jumping between rooftops.

So I think it's a great game, I'm just not good enough at it yet. :) I'd say the same thing about Ninja Gaiden I and III on the Lynx, too... NGI in particular has fantastic graphics but is a very tough game to get through.

I agree with pit fighter being crap, I actually threw that game away (this was years ago when I actually still had my lynx...)

But I think another absolute PEICE! was "Hard Driveing" I traded ninja gaiden (spelling?) for that and regreted it (to this day)

"Worst game ever"

The controls were crap (play control) the sound was ANOYING and it even ran like "crap"

I would have thrown that one away too if I hadn't lost it....

:D

• 2 months later...

Of the titles I had...

Stun Runner! More levels than the arcade, and the only remotely playable conversion for the time. Felt faster than the arcade!

Zarlor Mercenary - Just because you could blow *everything* up :)

Hockey - Dunno, liked the fist fights...

Blue Lightning, just for the impressive landscapes. First game I bought when I got my Lynx (apart from California Games that came with the system).

I liked tournament cyberball...Found it reasonably easy, but I couldn't compare it to the arcade (having never played). Ninja Gaiden one (called 'Shadow Warrior' in the arcades hear) was an excellent conversion...I really loved that. Maybe confusing if you hadn't played the arcade.

Bad games? I never owned any I didn't like. I seem to recall a few really difficult ones, but didn't play enough to know how flawed they were in the long term :/

• 1 month later...