IGNORED

Building a SCART cable - how to?

Tickled_Pink

Bought a 5-pin DIN plug for this project a few weeks ago, and now that I finally want to have a crack at it, I can't find any definitive information on how to do it. I have found some for the C64 but they use the Composite Chroma signal which most 800XLs don't have (apparently).

Anyone know the best way of wiring an 800XL to SCART?

as far as I know the 800xl will put out a composite signal no problem, i had din-RCA on my TV no problem. Pic quality was MUCH improved over RF.

What the XL can't do is output seperate croma and luma ie S-video, for that you have to open the XL up and solder the missing connection (over simplyfied description)

Edited by mimo

If you have the ability to solder a SCART plug, then adding Chroma to the 800XL will be a walk in the park - just a length of wire with a shrinkwrap insulated resistor.

I'm no expert on soldering but it took me under 10 minutes to do it.

Um ... remember how you did it?

Anyway, if I can fit a Matrix mod-chip into the PS2, I'm sure I can handle this. ;)

Edited by Tickled_Pink

From http://wolfpup.net/atarimods/supervid2.html

Step 7. Now we'll install the chrominance pick-off resistor. Select a 100-ohm resistor (brown-black-brown-gold), and to one end of it apply a length of insulation (stripped from wire) leaving only 1/8" of the lead exposed. Cut a 5" length of wire and strip 1/4" insulation from each end, then solder this wire to the un-insulated end of the resistor. Now experiment a little to find the smallest diameter heatshrink tubing that will fit over both the solder bulge and the resistor body, then snip off a length sufficient to cover the bare lead from the resistor body to the solder junction plus an extra 1/4" to overlap both ends. Slip the tubing into place, then warm it by holding the assembly 1/4" above your hot soldering iron while slowly rotating it for even heating. The tubing will contract to make a neatly insulated assembly (see Fig. 7). DO NOT use tape to insulate this resistor!

Solder the short end of the prepared resistor to the junction of R67-R68 on the foil side of the board. Solder the other end to pin 5 of the monitor jack, routing the wire through the gap between the ground plane foils as shown. Keep the wire close to the board. I later added a dab of hot-melt glue at the bend in the wire to secure it in place.

Thanks.

Just realised that I may already have a unit that contains one of these mods. The guy I got a lot of my extra systems (both 2600 and XLs) was a bit of a nut when it came to clean video mods.

If I do, I just hope it's one of the stable XLs ... one in particular is VERY flaky after having a pile of mods shoe-horned into it. Gonna split the parts in that one to put the mods into separate unmodded machines.

Well, worked it out ... almost ... found a SCART pinout that showed that some pins are dual-function. A lot of the pinouts show Pin 20 of the SCART connector to be Luminance, when it's in fact Luminance AND Composite Video In. So I've got the video working.

Sound's not working at the moment, though. Something for me to play with tomorrow.

Well, worked it out ... almost ... found a SCART pinout that showed that some pins are dual-function. A lot of the pinouts show Pin 20 of the SCART connector to be Luminance, when it's in fact Luminance AND Composite Video In. So I've got the video working.

Sound's not working at the moment, though. Something for me to play with tomorrow.

Scart has pins for stereo audio. Pin 2 is right channel, pin 6 is left channel. Pin 20 is, as you already concluded, composite video.

I can't get a picture on my Commodore 1084 when I use composite video on either the luma or the chroma input. Have tried it with my A8 and my Playstation 2. Both cases no dice...

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

Scart has pins for stereo audio. Pin 2 is right channel, pin 6 is left channel. Pin 20 is, as you already concluded, composite video.

According to the spec I read, pin 6 is left audio, which is also the pin to use for mono. Not all TVs fitted with SCART have stereo sound. Anyway, I fitted it to that one but no luck. On the cable I'm using, all the audio wires are sheathed together into one bundle, so it's a case of trying out each one to see which one works.

*sigh* Just taken a look at the SCART connector I took off the cable and looks like I have connected the wrong audio wire. :roll:

Edited by Tickled_Pink

According to the spec I read, pin 6 is left audio, which is also the pin to use for mono. Not all TVs fitted with SCART have stereo sound. Anyway, I fitted it to that one but no luck. On the cable I'm using, all the audio wires are sheathed together into one bundle, so it's a case of trying out each one to see which one works.

*sigh* Just taken a look at the SCART connector I took off the cable and looks like I have connected the wrong audio wire. :roll:

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I read you have a PS2 as well. I've been tinkering with a PS2 SCART-cable last week, trying to find out why my Commodore 1084 won't sync when using RGB instead of composite video (not solved yet). Anyway, I found some usefull info about various SCART connections at:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gam...t/gamescart.htm

re-atari

Howdy re-atari

You are aware of the fact, that some RGB interfaces (not sure if it's digital or analog RGB) use Composite Video as a sync signal?

Greetings

Mathy

Yes, I know. The PS2 does not have H- or V-sync output on its AV connector, but indeed uses the composite video as composite sync when using RGB.

I have hooked up my PS2 to the Commodore 1084 through a combined cable that has both CV and RGB, so that I can use this very neat button on the front of the monitor to switch between CV and RGB. CV works flawlessly, albeit somewhat hazy. With RGB I can actually see colors, but it's a distorted image as it just won't sync.

This strange phenomenon may have something to do with my monitor, though. Originally it didn't come with a SCART connector, although the layout was completely prepared for it. So I installed a connector myself. I only had to install an optional wire, routing CV from SCART pin 20 to the corresponding RCA jack, and a pull-down resistor.

I have checked every 1084 schematic I could get my hands on, including those of the identical Philips 8833, and I now suspect I have to route CV to the sync circuitry as well. It's possibly just an extra wire to be installed.

re-atari