IGNORED

Single shock dual analog pad!? (adding rumble to Sony's Dual Analog)

shadow460

This mod will explain how I added force feedback to my SCPH-1180 Dual Analog Pad. It will also address the issue of a loose joystick and joysticks that spin.

WARNING: The vibration function was removed due to alleged damage to PlayStation consoles. USE THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN PLAYSTATION'S RISK.

What you need:

Dual Analog pad, part # SCPH-1180 or SCPH-1180e. The SCPH-1150 already has a rumble motor installed, but you already knew this since it rumbles as you play.

Dual Shock 1 pad, part # SCPH-1200. Other pads will probably work as a donor, but this is the one I used. A Dual Shock 2 (SCPH-10010) has a similar sized motor, and I imagine the Dual Shock One (SCPH-110) has that motor as well.

Note that this pad is a donor, so although it will work when you're finished, it will no longer have the fast vibrating rumble (we're putting that in the DAP). It will retain the slow, strong rumble provided by motor "L", however.

Cyanoacrylate super glue (this is for the sticks).

#0 Phillips screwdriver.

Soldering iron, solder, and a very steady hand.

First, open the Dual Analog. Don't try to remove any wires from the board--they are mounted solid. Locate the pads labeled "J1" on the board. They are within a box, and there is nothing soldered to them.

Locate the plastic frame in the DAP's right handle. This is where the rumble motor will sit.

Repeat the same steps to open the Dual Shock. Locate the wires going from the small motor to the connections labeled "S", and desolder them at "S". Remove the motor and reassemble the Dual Shock.

Lay the motor inside the Dual Analog's frame so that the wires come out of the frame close to the board, and the weight is pointed toward the end of the handle. Solder the black wire onto J1's pad that is closest to the outside of the DAP. Now solder the red wire to J1's other pad. Reassemble the DAP.

Now pick any game that supports force feedback and make sure it's turned on. you can check your work in that game. The Dual Analog should rumble with that strong, fast rumble at the same times the Dual Shock would. There is no connection or mount for the large motor in the DAP, so you will not have the slow rumble at all.

To repair loose sticks:

Open the DAP as above, but this time, remove the two screws holding the joystick board in place. Carefully work the board out. You'll see the two handles attatched to metal shafts that go into the joystick frames. Sometimes the plastic part of these handles will break, and this can be repaired with the super glue.

Additionally, you can super glue the plastic shafts to the metal, thereby keeping the sticks from spinning around. I do not recommend this, as it would be difficult to repair the joystick handles if they break after you've cemented them to the metal.

Mount the joystick board back to the case, using the silver screws. Now close the DAP, and check to see that it works correctly.

One other note: If you own a Dual Analog pad, you've undoubtedly noticed that the LED turns green if you hit "Analog" a second time. This Analog mode doesn't seem to do anything at first, though. I've found that it works with games that bear the "Flight Stick compatible" icon on the box.

Dual Shock 1 pad, part # SCPH-1200. Other pads will probably work as a donor, but this is the one I used. A Dual Shock 2 (SCPH-10010) has a similar sized motor, and I imagine the Dual Shock One (SCPH-110) has that motor as well.

The SCPH-110 has one large motor (roughly 1"x0.4") for the low strong rumble and a small longer motor (roughly 0.5"x1.25") for the fast motor where as the Dual Shock 2 (SCHP-10010) and IIRC the SCPH-1200 use the large diameter motor only but with different size weights attached.

Depends on the revision. SCPH-10010 Rev A has the small motor, and Rev H has two large motors. Try fitting two large motors with the large weights to a Rev H Dual Shock 2, and you'll know the meaning of force feedback! :o

The SPCH-1200 I opened was Rev K. It, too, had a large and a small motor, now it has one large motor with a small weight. I had to put something back in there to keep it working right.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I am new to these forums.

After doing some querying, I think I have found the most appropriate place, and more specifically, person to ask my questions.

But first a little background. I had been in the market for an SCPH-1180 or like model DAP for quite some time.

After reading rave reviews by like big-handed people/fans of a less condensed controller experience, I decided that it would be my solution.

Solution to a problem that has plagued me since I started playing Playstation 2, the analog sticks.

When I use a dual analog heavy game, the tips of my thumbs often touch. It my not seem like a big deal, but games like Shadow Of The Colossus and ICO with independent camera control really make it apparent.

It can actually really ruin the experience. Well anyway I finally found a DAP.

It was on ebay and included original box+instructions with a Buy It Now price of $8.00+4.00 S&H.

I thought I was a more than reasonable deal after my findings on it's rarity. It arrived yesterday, and it is perfect.

It fits my hands LIKE A GLOVE. I must say I think it is my favorite controller I have ever held. But now to my question, Would it be possible to take the internal components of a Dual Shock 2, and drop them into the DAP housing?

I am no electronics wizard, so I don't want to just crack them open and compare.

shadow460 do you have any photos of your force feedback motor install?

I would really appreciate any input you will give me.

Thank you for reading.

I can make some photos. I used the DAP's own circuit boards for the install, though. The Dual Shock's board will not fit into the DAP due to the alignment of the screw holes and (I think) the size of the board. Also, the plastic part of the joysticks is different underneath. The metal stick shaft on the DAP is much smaller than the other Sony brand pads.

My pad doesn't rumble with any of my PS2 games or with Final Fantasy 8. I think what's going on is that some of the PS1 and maybe some PS2 game out there are, in fact, compatible with the Japanese DAP (SCPH-1150), much like a few US releases work with the PocketStation.

Hmmm, some games I vaguely recall it rumbling with...

Gran Turismo 1

Gran Turismo 2

UmJammer Lammy

Red Alert Retaliation

Colony Wars 2 (works in green mode but R1 and triangle are switched)

Colony Wars 3 (doesn't work in green mode)

and it didn't rumble with these:

Final Fantasy 8

Gran Turismo 3

Gran Turismo 4

I've got a small stack of PS1 and PS2 games that I haven't tried it with.

If you figure out how to make the x, o, square and triangle controls pressure sensitive/analog, I'd love to know how it's done.

post-7210-1221934719_thumb.jpg

post-7210-1221934731_thumb.jpg

post-7210-1221934742_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the photos+info shadow.

I disassembled one of my Dual Shock 2s earlier to fix an overly depressed R1, and you are correct about the board size differences. I too am on a mission to have full analog button functionality, and will let you know if I make any breakthroughs.

Thank you again for the help.

Not a problem. Actually, I probably should ask you a favor now. If you do the rumble mod, post a list of games you've tried it with and whether they made the controller vibrate, and what PlayStation (PS1, PSX DVR unit, Slim PSTwo, etc.) they worked with.

I also ought to put together a list of games that work in green mode. I think there are some that will work with green mode/the flight stick that don't advertise capability with it.

That sounds like a good Idea. However I will likely not be doing any board work on the DAP until I do a little more research. But if I do, assume all tests to be done on a SCPH-70012 PS2 slim. I will let you know if I take my Playstation out of storage for testing.

Edited by HAL