IGNORED

If Infocom made 2K ROMs for the VCS

Chris++

West of House

You are standing west of a large white house with a boarded-up front door. There is a mailbox here.

The mailbox is: Closed

> go west

You can't go that way.

> go east

You can't go that way.

> go north

You can't go that way.

> go south

You can't go that way.

> open the mailbox

The mailbox won't open.

> beat the game

You've won! Congratulations! Your score is 1 out of a possible 1 point, giving you the rank of Master Adventurer.

(shot of Raiders of the Lost Ark intro screen)

CF

Sounds like it's time for someone to make an adapter that would allow you to use a standard PC keyboard (non-USB) with the Atari 2600. Then games could be programmed to take advantage of it. I'm waiting for someone to convert the Zork interpreter to the 2600. Obviously it would be a fairly sizeable cart (16K or more), but it would be kickass to see Zork running on the 2600. :) :)

..Al

Let's see... 12 keys per Keyboard Controller, two controllers... I'd like to see how that text entry system would work. :)

That's easy. All game commands would be tokenized, probably as a two key Verb-Noun combination. The first key would be the action, and the second key would be the object of the action. The arrangement would permit 24 different actions on 24 different objects for a total of 576 different game commands. I don't think more commands than that could be handled by the program, given that it must fit into 2K.

Ben

Sounds like it's time for someone to make an adapter that would allow you to use a standard PC keyboard (non-USB) with the Atari 2600.  Then games could be programmed to take advantage of it.  I'm waiting for someone to convert the Zork interpreter to the 2600.  Obviously it would be a fairly sizeable cart (16K or more), but it would be kickass to see Zork running on the 2600.  :)  :)

..Al

Sigh...I'm almost hesitant to mention it, what with my current "yeah, I'm working on it" list. :P But I do have one of these lined up. Way back in '96 or '97 I was moving a PF pixel around with the A,S,Q,and Z keys. But it was flakey. It, like so many other hardware projects that I almost completed were shelved due to lack of interest from the programmers. :(

-Chris