IGNORED

Zaxxon Cheat

StanJr

This may be old news to most of you, but I just discovered a neat way to gets a load of extra points on Zaxxon.

You can actually destroy the Zaxxon Robot twice and therefore get double points.

The trick is simple, but costly.

Make sure that as you enter the end of the second steroid where the Zaxxon Robot appears you have just enough fuel to beat him (3 or 4 arrows max should do it). Destroy the robot. Before you leave the asteroid you will run out of fuel and explode. Since the game resets you at the start of the last area you entered, you will be reset before your encounter with the Robot. Thus, he will appear again and you can blast him a second time receiving the same amount of points for destroying him again!

Since you only get 1 extra ship per game, this trick is only good about 3 times, but it will reflect well on your score and you'll still have at least 2 ships to keep playing with! And besides, by the 7th asteroid, you will have bigger problems than using some silly cheat (man, you start flying fast!)

Tricky Stan :)

Hey.. 2600 Zaxxon was a shocker (i.e. dissapointment) when I got it because it was obviously so different from the arcade game. (hmm now that I think about it, it's no wonder I didn't ever get to see a screenshot or even an artists rendition before I bought the cartridge :roll: .)

However, as had been said on these boards a number of times, simply take off the "Zaxxon" name off the game (and thus the lofty expectations) and you end up with what turns out to be a pretty neat and fun 2600 game!

Think about it, play it and there isn't another 2600 game quite like it. Moving vertically up and down through a forward scrolling shooter with a robot boss at the end. It's actually great!

Maybe if it came out with the name "SPACE FORTRESS" or similar it wouldn't be so panned by everybody. But I think whoever made it did a pretty good job and it's definitely better than a lot of 2600 games out there. :)

I guess I have just been too impatient with it. I tried playing it once, said "Good God this sucks," crashed because I couldn't judge my altitude, and put it on the shelf, where it has been ever since. Good thing I got it in a 30-cart lot for cheap!