IGNORED

Atari Breakout Box - What is it for?

BigO

Can anyone tell me what the intended purpose is for this device? I stumbled across it for the first time today. It looks like 8 RCA jacks-in-the-box.

I would expect that it wires each of the pins on the DB9 to a different jack, except for ground which would be wired to the ground terminal on all of them.

It would be useful if you wanted to connect up discrete switches to the 2600, e.g. if you needed to make a 5-input "game show" buzzer. Just plug each switch into a phono plug and voila.

Hey, thanks guys. I was hoping to be surprised by something really cool that I couldn't even imagine.

Yeah, if there's nothing more exciting about it than that, I've already got my protoboard breakout "box" that I use for messing with my 2600.

But, if I were buying at least $24.00 worth of other merchandise at that site, I'd still buy one cuz ya just never know. :) Heck, for a buck it'd be a fairly inexpensive way to get a cable with a nice molded db9 on it.

I'd better hurry, they've only got a little over 700 of them left.

Hey, thanks guys. I was hoping to be surprised by something really cool that I couldn't even imagine.

Yeah, if there's nothing more exciting about it than that, I've already got my protoboard breakout "box" that I use for messing with my 2600.

But, if I were buying at least $24.00 worth of other merchandise at that site, I'd still buy one cuz ya just never know. :) Heck, for a buck it'd be a fairly inexpensive way to get a cable with a nice molded db9 on it.

You know, that is actually a pretty darn good point, that cable also has 5V connected. :ponder:

Might be a good way to construct custom controllers and such.

Might be a good way to construct custom controllers and such.

Uh-oh, he's on to me!

You know, that is actually a pretty darn good point, that cable also has 5V connected. :ponder:

Yep, that's what I was thinking too... DB-9 molded for Atari, 8 RCA jacks and their ground... 9-wire cable for a dollar!

(Unless it's actually got two 5-wire cables, and we can't see the second plug.)

It's got 9 wires in it and is about 3 feet long...

Hey, thanks krypton85. I was just going to order a couple on speculation that they'd be what I needed. Now I know.

I was prompted to check back on this posting when I saw that Curt Vendel had posted a review for the item on the site on 4/4/07, specifying (as others did here) what it actually was: "The item is not a Breakout Box. It is the Atarilab base module. Used in conjunction with various Atarilab add-on kits, you could perform experiements on measuring light, heat/cold, etc..."

It'll work for what I want it for in my 2600 tinkerings.

Just in case anyone's curious:

These do have a 3 foot long 9 wire cord. (Brown, white, blue, gray, green, yellow, black, red, orange - haven't pinned out through to the DB9).

The DB9 is a hard plastic with a rubber hood molded over it. The DB9 end does have the Atari logo molded (raised) on both sides along with the word "Taiwan" near where the cord exits the hood on one side and "GB 66" on the other side. Molded strain relief on the other end of the cable with about 2" of wire extending beyond the strain relief.

They plug in to my 2600 console nicely and hold tight like you'd expect of any new controller.

The 9cm x 14.5cm x 3cm plastic box itself could make a decent project case for some electronics gizmo with a thin panel laid over it to cover the holes.

These do have a 3 foot long 9 wire cord. (Brown, white, blue, gray, green, yellow, black, red, orange - haven't pinned out through to the DB9).

Seems like at the very least, violet is dropped in favor of gray.

Here's the pin number / wire color correlation of a standard Atari 2600 DE-9 plug:

1 = white

2 = blue

3 = green

4 = brown

5 = red

6 = orange

7 = yellow

8 = black

9 = violet

Here's the pin number / wire color correlation of a standard Atari 2600 DE-9 plug:

1 = white

2 = blue

3 = green

4 = brown

5 = red

6 = orange

7 = yellow

8 = black

9 = violet

It looked gray to me. But, I do have trouble seeing certain colors. I wasn't aware of that being one of them, but I'll take it back apart to pin it out and have my wife double check me on the colors. :)

• 1 month later...

The color/pin correlation isn't close to the previously mentioned standard:

Looking into the connector:

5 4 3 2 1

9 8 7 6

1=black

2=white

3=yellow

4=blue

5=brown

6=green

7=orange

8=gray

9=red

1 = white

2 = blue

3 = green

4 = brown

5 = red

6 = orange

7 = yellow

8 = black

9 = violet