IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 49: Polaris

Ze_ro

post-2641-1176363272_thumb.jpg

I'll try to submit another one before calling it a night. I'm just getting back into a groove with this one. :)

A few tips:

• Start firing immediately at the end of the mine level. You're bound to take out one or two planes when the next level begins.
  • The destroyer comes out when two sets of enemy bombs have fallen to the bottom of the screen. Keep an eye on the bombs, so you know when the destroyer is about to appear. (You could use this to pile up a lot of points, but that would be cheating. :P )
  • Rapidly fire going through the mines. Apparently, your sub is equipped with a Quark laser (see: Gorf), so you can rapid fire short bursts, and clear the mines out ahead of you without really having to aim.
  • Be careful when going slow in the mine levels - you still move back and forth at full speed, and it's very easy to slam into a river bank. Go straight ahead as much as possible, and move back and forth only as necessary. If you rapid fire as mentioned above, you don't have to move around so much.

More tips:

• When shooting planes, the last one you leave alive should be flying left to right. That way, when you move over to the right third of the screen to shoot the dive bomber, it's easier to hit that last plane.
  • When the dive bomber comes out, stay near the top of the water. His shot will come down to your level, then head towards you. This gives you the chance to dive underneath it, if you didn't shoot the plane right away.
  • There's just enough of a gap between the bottom of the screen and the lowest enemy sub for you to fit your submarine through.
  • When starting the bomber level, stay to the left, and let the planes drop their bombs. Then immediately head to the right and through that gap to take out the submarines.
  • Don't run into a sub's explosion. It will kill you.
  • You don't have to shoot the mines. Practice going between them (or in some cases, around them). Sometimes it's easier than trying to shoot them. You can go between them even at their fastest speed.
  • You can use the river bank to auto-fire your torpedoes. If there are mines between you and a river bank, just hold down the fire button and wait for a mine to drift into your line of fire.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Congratulations to everyone on their high scores! I've always liked this game, though I still haven't gotten an actual cartridge yet. It's too bad it's so expensive, otherwise it probably would have gotten a larger fan base. Anyways, join us again next week for a little playoff action!

--Zero