IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 1 Centipede

JagFan422

real men play Centepede with a trak ball on easy mode :) just wait til i get some time, i'll go to standard mode and blow you all away. My in laws have a centepede arcade cab in their basement and I have the high score of 56,000 on that so i'm sure i can catch up and win this compo.

Edited by Atari5200

I don't think the Spider behaves the same as the arcade in this version. Spidey in here is on meth or something.

I think you are right, i played the arcade last night and the 5200 is wwwaaaayyy more sporadic than the arcade. moves alot more side to side where as arcade the spider always goes up and down before moving left to right. at least seems that way to me.

That's not the 5200 game.

Damnit! I suck - and it wasn't even on the right version!!! Doh! :dunce:

I should have my 5200 this week, so I'll give it a go on that and then I'll be sure it's the right version. Unfortunately, I don't have a trak-ball for it, so my score probably won't go up much. :D

--Timster--

I just played a number of games and the best I did was 21677.

post-9542-1176250296_thumb.jpg

Dang, I forgot how hard that game is...or I should say...how hard the spider makes that game!

I never played Centipede all that much, but wasn't the screen on the arcade game turned so that it was taller than it was wide? (The 5200 version is the other way around.) I think the distance your shooter can travel up and down is more limited in the 5200 version than the arcade, and that also makes it more difficult to avoid that insanely difficult spider.

47,469 My best score ever.Man did my hand cramp after that round. After the first few rounds it actually evens out to where you can get a little ahead. It's getting past the 24,000 mark that is difficult.

Wow! Nice score and good job! 5200 Centipede is one *tough* game!

47,469 My best score ever.Man did my hand cramp after that round. After the first few rounds it actually evens out to where you can get a little ahead. It's getting past the 24,000 mark that is difficult.

Jeez...good score!

I gotta try again so I can get my score out of the cellar :|

I tried again this morning, but couldn't beat 20k. I'm figuring it out though. I noticed a bunch of times where the spider glitched out and moved basically horizontally across the screen. It was kind of cool.

Yeah, I hate it when the spider does that. Sometimes I would swear the spider is on an unavoidable kamikaze mission with your shooter, and there's nothing you can do about it. The spider is sooo hard, I think it takes the fun out of the game. It makes me wonder what was going through the programmer's mind when the game was designed.

Has anyone else noticed that the (flea?) characters which fall down and make new mushrooms are quite hard to kill? A lot of times it seems like you shoot one, yet it still rams into your shooter. I'm pretty sure they're much harder to kill than the ones on the arcade version. I found it's best just to totally avoid the fleas on the 5200 version.

Fleas take 2 shots to kill. After the first they fall at twice the speed, that's why it's insanely hard to take them out.

Gameplay wise I can't find any real consistency. I can't count on scoring a certain minimum amount at any time due to the randomness of the Spider. It's a great game but wow the randomness of the entire game really makes it difficult to score consistent. All the enemies add another layer of randomness, no two games are ever alike.

Edited by Gunstarhero

i tried again last night and didn't do any better than what I've done, even on standard mode so I just stopped lol. maybe this weekend i'll devote a block of like 45mins of straight centepede, but it will be hard to pull me away from the Dreadnaught Factor.