IGNORED

8-bit hardware mods.

SpicyChronos

Hi all,

I've now moved on from my old SCSI HDD fiasco, and now into trying to improve / hack / etc... some of my 8-bit stuff.

My 800XL has been hacked at a log time ago, and I don't remember what the heck the hacks did. It does have the APE 4-in-4 OS, 256 Wizztronics memory upgrade, and I added a switch for compatibility with ramdisks (128 or 256K) and something to do with the video output to change it to monochrome for sharper text reading.

I recently installed a US Doubler for the 1st time, and its working great. I've also modified the drive # switches, by moving them up to the front of the drive under the mechanism.

I've also added the write protect switch w/the LED.

But it took me a LONG time to research the write protect switch mod, and I can't seem to find other modifications out there. I remember being on a BBS and there were tons of documents on how to do this and that.

But with the power of the internet, it seems like the information has disappeared.

I suggest we collaborate and create a sticky or some other depository of information for these mods. I know we have a sticky for restoration, but this I'd like to see for hardware mods.

I'm going to document how I did my mods, and include photos, and try to be descriptive as possible, so in the future, other people will be able to do it.

Thanks for your time.

-Spicy

I've also modified the drive # switches, by moving them up to the front of the drive under the mechanism.

Something like this? Except I don't have an LED for the Write protect switch, it's just labeled overdrive and normal.

post-149-1176261520_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

Most of the mods can be found on the net somewhere, I usually just do google searches for 800XL&1200XL mods. But don't you carry printouts of all the available mods around folded up in your wallet?!? Or am I the only one?!?!? :P

Anyway, here is one MODS page: http://aland.roarvgm.com/mods/table%20of%20contents.html

And this is a webring page with links to other 8-bit sites and other webring buttons at the bottom, I haven't gone through it, but it's likely that you will run across a bund of mods or mod pages going through it too: http://rjespino.tripod.com/atari.html

Edited by Gunstar

Yes.. like that... and something else.. like my 800XL...

I've done a lot of google searches, and still can only stumble on the hardware modification FAQ a lot, but not much else. I had a hard time locating the US doubler installation instructions with pictures. But I finally figured it out from the text.

Well hopefully this might inspire more 8-bitters to dig through old docs, etc.. and get some of this knowledge on here.

-Spicy

post-3905-1176261769_thumb.jpg

post-3905-1176261958_thumb.jpg

post-3905-1176262013_thumb.jpg

post-3905-1176262065_thumb.jpg

post-3905-1176262114_thumb.jpg

post-3905-1176262163_thumb.jpg

post-3905-1176262209_thumb.jpg

post-3905-1176262255_thumb.jpg

This is my web page and is a conversion of an old BBS file I had on an Atari8 disk. There are pictures and diagrams missing from some of the mods. Be sure to read the whole mod to ensure it is complete before you start buying parts or cutting traces on your equipment. If anyone has the file complete with the diagrams that were originally attached, I'll be glad to add them and keep it archived there.

Al

I've been searching for a memory upgrade for my 1200XL. I know the Rambo XL worked on it and I'm going to try the Wiztronics version when I get. Doesn't someone have the schematic for the Rambo XL upgrade so I can clone it? This would be easier than converting the Wiz version (to me anyway).

I've been searching for a memory upgrade for my 1200XL. I know the Rambo XL worked on it and I'm going to try the Wiztronics version when I get. Doesn't someone have the schematic for the Rambo XL upgrade so I can clone it? This would be easier than converting the Wiz version (to me anyway).

Get a hold of Steve at Atarimax. He has a RamboXL compatible 256/512K upgrade available that isn't posted on his website yet. It would probably be a better choice than modding the Wizztronics board.

I've also modified the drive # switches, by moving them up to the front of the drive under the mechanism.

Something like this? Except I don't have an LED for the Write protect switch, it's just labeled overdrive and normal.

It says, "Override". Maybe you should paint some go faster stripes on it :0)

Label it "Oscillation Overthruster" =P

There were actually a couple of really good sites with almost all the mods on them that have recently (within the last year or less) shut down. So that's unfortunate.

I found this while searching for something else. It has the super video mods and US doubler upgrade and others:

http://mega-hz.no-ip.com/ATARI/alte%20gesi....com/atarimods/

Edited by puppetmark

That is Mega-Hz own webserver, where he hosts his own little page as well as mirrows of small helpful sites. Don`t stress it too much, especially don't "wget" the whole site. He will shut it down in consequence. Its just behind a normal DSL line with 256k upstream.

Greets,

Beetle

:D

Label it "Oscillation Overthruster" =P

:cool:

That is Mega-Hz own webserver, where he hosts his own little page as well as mirrows of small helpful sites. Don`t stress it too much, especially don't "wget" the whole site. He will shut it down in consequence. Its just behind a normal DSL line with 256k upstream.

Greets,

Beetle

I will use it wisely, I hope others do the same.