IGNORED

Famiclones

Anyone here have a Famiclone? I was looking to buy one that lets you use original Nintendo peripherals. About the cheapest I could find would be $30 shipped, but I guess if they actually worked, they'd beat messing around with my original NES. I replaced the pin connector, but now the games are hard as hell to pull out and although it does work better than my old one, it still isn't good.

I know nothing of these things, do they play every game and actually are 100% reliable?

For the record, this is the one I'm looking at: http://cgi.ebay.ca/SUPER-TOP-LOADER-NES-NI...1QQcmdZViewItem

They aren't exactly accurate in regards to sound, and they won't work with some games, with Castlevania 3 being a big example. If you ask me, you're better off getting a refurbished front loader, or even an official top loader if you can find one for a good price. Nothing beats the original hardware, as far as I'm concerned.

I have to agree . Those Yobo brand ones scare me...

the one that looks like an nes but thinner.. had wireless controllers. that one is the only clone ive heard of that was really nice quality. if you are dead set on getting a clone get that one. they are pricey though, and not very common.

They aren't exactly accurate in regards to sound, and they won't work with some games, with Castlevania 3 being a big example. If you ask me, you're better off getting a refurbished front loader, or even an official top loader if you can find one for a good price. Nothing beats the original hardware, as far as I'm concerned.

How bad is the sound?

I don't think the clone in the link above takes the old NES controllers.

As clones go, the Yobo Game Console and the FC Super Loader are of about equal quality and price, and use NES controllers. I have an FC Super Loader and am very happy with it. Most people agree that a casual gamer won't notice or care too much about minor sound differences with clones. I run mine through a large speaker system, and don't notice anything I'm too concerned about.

I don't think the clone in the link above takes the old NES controllers.

As clones go, the Yobo Game Console and the FC Super Loader are of about equal quality and price, and use NES controllers. I have an FC Super Loader and am very happy with it. Most people agree that a casual gamer won't notice or care too much about minor sound differences with clones. I run mine through a large speaker system, and don't notice anything I'm too concerned about.

I think the FC Super Loader is now the FC Game Console. I'm pretty sure the NES controllers will work in it. The other listings show that all NES accessories work. Surely, these are the same system and the one listing says it all works:

FC-USA-1.jpg (one I would be buying)

NESXBE.jpg

NESXBB.jpg

(actual images in another listing.)

Of course, there's always this for the same price: http://cgi.ebay.ca/SUPER-TOP-LOADER-NES-NI...1QQcmdZViewItem

I believe that is the one you have. My main concern is I bought some NES multicarts for GBA off of someone here and the Super Mario Bros. on that version has sped up audio AND gameplay, and I just want to be certain the famiclone won't do this.

That's cool that we have more clones that take the original controllers, I didn't know that one was like that. yeah, I have the one in that last link in your post. I have my doubts that mine and this one are from the same company, but that could be the case. The controllers look very similar, though that may not mean much. As far as Mario goes, I have played Super Mario and Super Mario 3 on the Super Loader, and the speed and everything was fine.

That's cool that we have more clones that take the original controllers, I didn't know that one was like that. yeah, I have the one in that last link in your post. I have my doubts that mine and this one are from the same company, but that could be the case. The controllers look very similar, though that may not mean much. As far as Mario goes, I have played Super Mario and Super Mario 3 on the Super Loader, and the speed and everything was fine.

The reason I thought they'd be from the same company is because in the pic, it shows your console, then to the right, it shows the Family Boy, which was made by XPG. I would get the one you have just to be safe, but that seller's feedback shows poor communication and a lot of negs this month, whereas the other guys is cleaner. I found a guy online who made a site about the Family Boy and he said it was a good machine. Since the same company made this, I'd assume it's the same unit with a different outer shell.

I'm havin' a fun time researching and figuring out what company made which of these. I didn't know these type of things existed until I saw the Family Boy on ebay a couple years ago. I just like their small size and the fact that they'll generally work on the first try.

The reason I thought they'd be from the same company is because in the pic, it shows your console, then to the right, it shows the Family Boy, which was made by XPG. I would get the one you have just to be safe, but that seller's feedback shows poor communication and a lot of negs this month, whereas the other guys is cleaner. I found a guy online who made a site about the Family Boy and he said it was a good machine. Since the same company made this, I'd assume it's the same unit with a different outer shell.

I'm havin' a fun time researching and figuring out what company made which of these. I didn't know these type of things existed until I saw the Family Boy on ebay a couple years ago. I just like their small size and the fact that they'll generally work on the first try.

I bought my superloader from this person...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FC-Super-Loader-Game-C...oQQcmdZViewItem

I had mine at my door on the second day after I bought it! I also bought the zapper gun of the same brand from this person, and overall I am happy with the quality. The controllers on the SL are sturdy. The only thing I don't like is that the A and B buttons ar kind of in positions I'm unaccustomed to, but I am getting used to it.

Edited by GorillaSpawn

I just recently picked up a FC twin, mostly to consolidate the space on the shelf that was being taken up by my NES-clone Yobo (which I felt was a good unit - played every cart I had with no probs, and I didn't notice any peculiarities like audio/graphic abnormalities) and my real SNES. So far, pretty good - I really like the ability to play either NES or SNES carts with one unit & with the same controllers. I haven't used it all that much yet (just got it about a week or so ago), but I already found one weird problem. I obtained an NES copy of Gauntlet and tried it out on this unit. The game 'booted' fine, and everything was cool getting into the game, picking my character, etc... However, once the gameplay started, all hell broke loose - in a very organized kind of way. :) You see - there were no sound or graphic problems - but the dungeon was displayed very strangely, and some walls you could walk through while some open spaces blocked you. You can walk over the treasure-chests and stuff all you like - you won't pick them up. LOL! :D I suspect some incompatibility between this particular game and the flavor of NOAC this machine may be using.

Hopefully I won't run into any/many more unpleasant surprises down the road as the unit gets more use. Anyone else find any weird problems like this?

--Timster--

I bought my superloader from this person...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FC-Super-Loader-Game-C...oQQcmdZViewItem

I had mine at my door on the second day after I bought it! I also bought the zapper gun of the same brand from this person, and overall I am happy with the quality. The controllers on the SL are sturdy. The only thing I don't like is that the A and B buttons ar kind of in positions I'm unaccustomed to, but I am getting used to it.

98.3%, I wouldn't trust the guy! I have terrible luck.

I obtained an NES copy of Gauntlet and tried it out on this unit. The game 'booted' fine, and everything was cool getting into the game, picking my character, etc... However, once the gameplay started, all hell broke loose - in a very organized kind of way. :)

That's a known issue on every NOAC clone I've seen, and I've got a whole bunch of them including the FCTwin (best N clone device ever! :))

I obtained an NES copy of Gauntlet and tried it out on this unit. The game 'booted' fine, and everything was cool getting into the game, picking my character, etc... However, once the gameplay started, all hell broke loose - in a very organized kind of way. :)

That's a known issue on every NOAC clone I've seen, and I've got a whole bunch of them including the FCTwin (best N clone device ever! :))

Is there a list of games known to have these kinds of problems on these machines? It's too convenient to have this solution for combined NES/SNES functionality to go back to a two console arrangement, but I'm curious as to how many titles might have issues... thanks.

--Timster--

Is there a list of games known to have these kinds of problems on these machines? It's too convenient to have this solution for combined NES/SNES functionality to go back to a two console arrangement, but I'm curious as to how many titles might have issues... thanks.

--Timster--

I found one once, and about 98% of games work. Castlevania III doesn't work. The other games that didn't work, I'd never even heard of. I have no idea about the SNES though.

While most games will run without compatibility issues on a Famiclone system, those based on the Famicom-on-a-Chip (FOAC) have sound that ranges from 'mediocre' to 'very poor' to 'abysmal'. Other systems have major slowdown and graphical problems, or control issues. It really depends what model you get. If you want accurate sound reproduction, you just plain should not be buying a clone system. I mix-and-matched a 'decent' Famiclone called the 'Famulator' (retails for maybe $35) with 'reasonably good' audio reproduction and the excellent controllers from the otherwise-shitty and poorly built NeoFami a.k.a. Yobo.

Your best bet? Buy a used top-loading unit on eBay. You won't pay much more, the audio reproduction will be perfect, the connector will work brilliantly so long as you take very basic steps to keep it clean on occasion. And of course, your existing NES peripherals will all work.

Edited by Epicenter

While most games will run without compatibility issues on a Famiclone system, those based on the Famicom-on-a-Chip (FOAC) have sound that ranges from 'mediocre' to 'very poor' to 'abysmal'. Other systems have major slowdown and graphical problems, or control issues. It really depends what model you get. If you want accurate sound reproduction, you just plain should not be buying a clone system. I mix-and-matched a 'decent' Famiclone called the 'Famulator' (retails for maybe $35) with 'reasonably good' audio reproduction and the excellent controllers from the otherwise-shitty and poorly built NeoFami a.k.a. Yobo.

Your best bet? Buy a used top-loading unit on eBay. You won't pay much more, the audio reproduction will be perfect, the connector will work brilliantly so long as you take very basic steps to keep it clean on occasion. And of course, your existing NES peripherals will all work.

Well... that's not really an issue with me. I already own the real hardware. It's just that I have the newly acquired FC Twin on the 'showroom floor' to save precious space (I have seventeen consoles and nine 8/16-bit computers all hooked up and running in ONE spare bedroom ;) !!!).

--Timster--

All true, but for me there is also something fun about farting around with famiclones.

So basically this is a CC2 for the NES. $120-$140 is a good price, seeing as how the CC2 sold pretty well at $200 until the end of the second run. And fresh clear cart shells? Someone shelled (ha ha) out the bucks to make new shells? Some folks might be interested in buying a couple hundred shells.

Shame about famiclone incompatiblity, but is it general incompatiblity, or just that the usual games won't work? If it's a general incompatiblity, then this isn't for me. Not only do I not have The Love[tm] for the NES, but my main unit is a SNES Tristar, which presumably counts as a typical famiclone.