IGNORED

I've killed my CX2600

bcsnow

Hello there,

Today I've killed my Atari VCS - CX2600 :x .

My Atari was not able to output any sound whatsoever so I thought

some good cleaning would take care of this problem. After cleaning

the prints the sound was back but there was still a humming noise

on the background so I thought more cleaning. Since the only part

I didn't clean was the connector part I started to clean this part. When

I've tried to use the Atari the only result was a blank screen.

Is there anyone who know's where and how to locate/fix this problem? I think I really need some help here.

Carl

What did you clean it with? I have cleaned the cart connector many times on my 2600 and 7800 without any problems. But then I only use alcohol or contact cleaner on them. That way...I don't have to worry much about any of it shorting anything out.

I suggest you just wait a bit and try it again. A buzzing sound could be a fault power supply and a blank screen condition can also mean a blown Voltage regulator...if you go from static to black screen..then the bulk of the stuff is okay.

I can be fixed for pretty cheaply I think.

Let us know...

8)

Thanks for the rapid reply,

I've cleaned everything using 70% alcohol, everything except the cardridge connector, couldn't reach that proberly so I've used "Kontakt WL" and "Kontakt 60" for that (2 spray can's that claim they are to be used after each other for the best effect). Furthermore I haven't got a clue what you mean with "if you go from static to black screen.." but when I turn on the Atari, the screen changes from snow into a blank screen inmeadiatly.

Carl

That is what I meant from Static to black...

Okay..the good news is that it most likely is just a blow voltage regulator. Those are cheap...I think Atari used a standard 7805 or 7809..can't remember which..anyway..it is just a standard +5 voltage regulator that can be had from anywhere. I may be possible that when you were cleaning it up before...some charge from the Capacitor that sits in those things shorted and took out the voltage reg. Or...again, the power supply could have issues of it's own. You really shouldn't hear a buzzing from the Atari...if you hear a Buzzing from the TV when you turn it on..then that would be a good indication of a short.

I say..try the voltage regulator first..and go from there...again, the RF is fine if you go from a Snow screen to Black screen upon turning it on.

:wink:

Okay sounds not to difficult, the Atari does not make any noise, it is just the TV so I am going to replace the voltage regulator. Just one question there, what does a voltage regulator look like where should I start searching? B.t.w. Do you know any sites where the CX2600 hardware is explained?

Carl

hehe...I guess Lemmi is saying that it would be better to get another VCS off ebay or something...

Well..I had a heavy sixer that did the exact same thing bcsnow is talking about with his...

For just under $5 I put in a new 2200uf capacitor and voltage regulator..and last I heard that Atari is still working just fine. In fact I know it is...as I played that game of Defender I spoke of in that other thread on that Atari just last weekend.

I don't know...if you find them for cheaper...then why don't you offer this guy one of your many VCS systems?

:roll:

Sorry dear -^Cro§Bow^-,

I'm afraind I don't understand you, do you mean that you've fixed your atari for just about $5 or do you mean it is still broken? Yeah I know my English is not 100% but I keep on trying.

Carl

hehe...I guess Lemmi is saying that it would be better to get another VCS off ebay or something...

:roll:

heh no crossbow re-read your first post and the last line in it :D

"I can be fixed for pretty cheaply i think." :D

I just found that funny and misplacing the "T" makes the whole sentence have a different meaning ;)

hehe..Lemmi,

I see it now..I didn't see it before...

As for the question about my Atari..yes...I was able to fix my old Heavy sixer for $5 bucks with just a few parts being needed...and some labor.

As for what a Voltage regulator looks like...it basically looks like this...

7805.gif

That is basically what one looks like. On just about every model Atari 2600 I have seen this is located in the lower left hand corner of the main board.

Hope this helps?

Crossbow, your image is labeled incorrectly. What you have listed as "Adj", the center pin, is really the connection to common ground. The other pins are right; in takes a source of +7 to +15 or +18 volts, and the out pin has +5 volts.

Viso,

i didn't make that diagram...I found it on the web and it was the first one I found of a 7805 regulator. That diagram was part of a circuit drawing on how to get adjustable voltage from a 7805...hence the ADJ you see there. Your right in that the center is normally ground.

The picture was more for show so that he would know what the regulator looked like...

Sorry to confuse...

:P

Well I've replaced the voltage regulator (wich was indeed cheap 1.5 Euro wich equals about 1.3$). But The screen is still as black as possible. I've measured the voltages around the voltage regulator.

7805.gif

The measured results are the folowing:

[*]V(in-out)=3.2V

[*]V(in-Adj)=8.5V

[*]V(Adj-Out)=-5.2V

I suppose these values are correct, so is there anyone with some other suggestions?

Carl

Those values look good. Seems like the voltage regulator isn't the problem. Unfortunately, I don't have another suggestion, other than see if there is something in the system that gets *very* hot after being on for a short while. That may not help, though.

I've let the atari on for a few hours and started to measure the temperatures and nothing (except for the voltage regulator) seems to be getting warm. I've also measured all the traces on the printed circuit board, and they all seem to be ok. I think I'll start measuring all the values on the mainboard maybe I will find something there. Otherwise I will start soldering all the components again, maybe that will help.

Thanks for your advice and I'll keep you all informed.

Carl

Yeah, watch that voltage regulator diagram - I first fixed my Atari using the old, wrong one, and a hologram of Bushnell appeared - He said "Help me, tiggerwankenobi, you're my only hope (against poor 3rd party liscencees, I can only assume.) The Atari then told me if I removed it's television hook-ups, it might be able to play back the whole message. Well I did - and the Atari took off... said it had to find Bushnell... So, be careful!