IGNORED

VC Games are AWESOME

Bivotar

VC games are by far getting the most play on my Wii. It's just great that I don't have to have all these other consoles hooked up to my main TV/entertainment center yet I get to play them so conveniently. I got them playing on a nice big flat screen CRT with sound thumping out from a nice stero system.

I have been playing the hell out the following games:

Mario Bros.

Donkey Kong Country (is this game hard or am I just really this bad?)

Super Mario World

Alien Crush

Today I just downloaded Streets of RAGE. Awesome 16-bit brawler action.

These are games I missed "back in the day" and it is great to have a chance to play them. I have downloaded others too, but I am just playing the crap out of this list.

The classic controller is great and IMO a must-have.

I also really like the way you can save a game just by going back to the Wii menu. Nice!

What are some of your favorite VC games? Has anybody filled up their memory yet?

And if you were looking for a nice way to check out a VC game before buying it, go the following link. It has screen shots and a video clip of game play:

http://wii.nintendo.com/virtualconsole.jsp

Edited by Bivotar

VC games are awesome.

Some one is going to post after me some gripes about prices, unenhanced roms, no online play, etc. But these things don't bother me much. Convenience is where it's at and getting those hard to find titles or games from a system I don't own is pretty cool.

I love that I can turn on the Wii, send some Miis, go to Everybody Votes, browse AA, then fire up Bomberman or some other VC game all without switching carts or even getting up :thumbsup:

Here's what I've got so far and all of them are obviously good games;

Altered Beast

Alien Crush

Bonk's Adventure

Bomberman 93

Gunstar Heroes

Splatterhouse

Mario Kart 64

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Edited by figgler

I also really love the convience factor of the VC games. So far just about everything I have bought I own. But the fact that I don't have to get up...look for the game...hook up the console...etc..etc..and just click and play makes the price worth it right there.

These are the games I have downloaded thus far:

Super Mario Bros.

Solomon's Key

Kirby's Adventure

Kid Icarus

Super Castlevania IV

Contra III

Altered Beast

Golden Axe

Ristar

Gunstar Heroes

Toejam & Earl

Bomberman '93

Super Star Soldier

Alien Crush

R-Type

Dungeon Explorer

Whew...that is quite a few I guess? I'm still thinking about getting StarFox 64 and possibly Dragon's Curse...but I just haven't gotten around to adding the points to my account to download them yet.

Zelda 64

Super Mario World

Sonic the Hedgehog

StarFox "Do a Barrel Roll!" 64

My only gripe with the Virtual Console is that it's too darn good. I want to spend all kinds of money I shouldn't be spending on it. Especially since I haven't finished the games I've already downloaded!

Help! Too much gaming goodness! ARRRGGGH!!!! :P

I imagine it's especially great for people who were Nintendo fans back in the day. What, with the superior Genesis games now showng you what you missed out on with your silly Super Nintendos. I still don't know why the SNES GnG is on there though instead of the Genesis one. I mean, perhaps some people are more comfortable playing in slow motion....

Edited by Atarifever

I just don't get it. Maybe I've been too spoiled by emulators and cheap used games in the past, but those VC games are REALLY expensive. Especially considering you don't really get to own them.

Today in the UK store, we have the NES version of Pacman for 500 points (that's about £3.50 or $7). Heck, gimme the arcade game for 500 points, not the port.

Probably just me, it's clearly real popular and it's definitely a smart move for Nintendo. I'll be more interested in original new small games/demos , which the Wii is supposed to be getting at some time in the future.

No dount there'll be some decent N64 release that current emulators don't do that'll tempt me to buy some points - fingers crossed for Sin and Punishment.

I'm glad to see Nintendo embracing emulation so wholeheartedly. I remember a few years back how protective they were over their games (and rightfully so.) Now we know why. ;)

you know what they say, if theres a dime to be made...

btw, on a totally unrelated note, im beginning to think Atarifever is generally an unhappy person :P

VC games would be awesome if I couldn't just walk upstairs and play the exact same thing on the real hardware. I'm sure they're wonderful if you A. Don't own the original system/games, or B. Don't want to have all that stuff out. Personally I like to play things on the original hardware or not at all. I thought about getting *some* games like Sword of Vermilion or Mario 64 just to have them downstairs on the big screen, but even that isn't enough to make me want to drop $5 to $10 a piece for them. Maybe if they were half the price I might consider it.

Tempest

VC games would be awesome if I couldn't just walk upstairs and play the exact same thing on the real hardware. I'm sure they're wonderful if you A. Don't own the original system/games, or B. Don't want to have all that stuff out. Personally I like to play things on the original hardware or not at all. I thought about getting *some* games like Sword of Vermilion or Mario 64 just to have them downstairs on the big screen, but even that isn't enough to make me want to drop $5 to $10 a piece for them. Maybe if they were half the price I might consider it.

Tempest

Yeah, I also prefer original hardware. However, for consoles I don't own, I'll use the VC, as it's more authentic than a computer emulator. That means I'll basically just download Turbo Grafx games on it, and Neo Geo ones once those hit. I don't have a problem with the price, because $6 is better than I think I'd do on most TG16 games after shipping, and having to buy a system.

Edited by Atarifever

btw, on a totally unrelated note, im beginning to think Atarifever is generally an unhappy person :P

Ever since Sega stopped making consoles, I've been a very sad panda. :(

i feel your pain :)

nintendo is as close as you get to Sega though, much closer than anything else...

I just don't get it. Maybe I've been too spoiled by emulators and cheap used games in the past, but those VC games are REALLY expensive. Especially considering you don't really get to own them.

Today in the UK store, we have the NES version of Pacman for 500 points (that's about £3.50 or $7). Heck, gimme the arcade game for 500 points, not the port.

Probably just me, it's clearly real popular and it's definitely a smart move for Nintendo. I'll be more interested in original new small games/demos , which the Wii is supposed to be getting at some time in the future.

No dount there'll be some decent N64 release that current emulators don't do that'll tempt me to buy some points - fingers crossed for Sin and Punishment.

I'd like to see original new games and demos too. But I enjoy the downloads. For me, it's nice to have it all there in one place. My Wii is hooked up with the high quality output to a big HD Television in the center of the living room and I've got some nice controllers hooked up. It's just a lot more approachable and fun than playing in emulators on my office computer. I think we've played more Kirby's Adventure than Twighlight Princess at this point. :)

nintendo is as close as you get to Sega though, much closer than anything else...

For sure. If Sega were putting out a system this generation, chances are I wouldn't own a Wii yet, if at all. But with Sonic and the Secret Rings, Banana Blitz, and now Alien Syndrome and Nights coming to the Wii, along with Nintendo made "blue sky" games, this is as close to a Sega console as I'm getting.

For sure. If Sega were putting out a system this generation, chances are I wouldn't own a Wii yet, if at all. But with Sonic and the Secret Rings, Banana Blitz, and now Alien Syndrome and Nights coming to the Wii, along with Nintendo made "blue sky" games, this is as close to a Sega console as I'm getting.

amen. ill be the first one in my town get get alien syndrome and nights... and probably Umbrella Chronicles as its the unofficial house of the dead sequal and it looks feakin great.

amen. ill be the first one in my town get get alien syndrome and nights... and probably Umbrella Chronicles as its the unofficial house of the dead sequal and it looks feakin great.

I am still bothered by the "non-physical copy" aspect. These games cannot be resold once you get tired by them. And for that, these are really steep prices, like someone already said in this thread.

One other thing that generally bothers me about the Wii is that i need to buy two more controllers to enjoy all of its offered games (Gamecube, Classic Controller).

With some more cleverness in design i guess just using the classic controller for the gamecube would have been possible.

With some more cleverness in design i guess just using the classic controller for the gamecube would have been possible.

Actually I don't know that it would have been possible. Fact is when you pop in a Cube game into the Wii it literally becomes a GameCube. It shuts off the Bluetooth and all Wii functions and becomes a Cube. The only way to get Wii mode back is to eject a cube disc and reset the Wii.

The Wii works the same as the 7800 did. It detects what kind of game has been put into it and switch to the hardware for that machine type. In the case of the Wii, since the Cube was built with wired controllers from the start, making the Cube games work at they did originally required adding the cube controller ports to the Wii. I suppose they could have implemented some sort of emulator interface that could remap the classic controller and feed it to the Cube like one of the wired controlles. But this likely would have increased cost and time to develop the Wii.

I had a Cube already and 3 controllers so for me the Wii hasn't required any extra controllers aside from an extra set of Wii remote + nunchuck. I still don't have a classic controller as I play most of the VC games from the Wii remote or Cube controllers.

Actually I don't know that it would have been possible. Fact is when you pop in a Cube game into the Wii it literally becomes a GameCube. It shuts off the Bluetooth and all Wii functions and becomes a Cube. The only way to get Wii mode back is to eject a cube disc and reset the Wii.

The Wii works the same as the 7800 did. It detects what kind of game has been put into it and switch to the hardware for that machine type. In the case of the Wii, since the Cube was built with wired controllers from the start, making the Cube games work at they did originally required adding the cube controller ports to the Wii. I suppose they could have implemented some sort of emulator interface that could remap the classic controller and feed it to the Cube like one of the wired controlles. But this likely would have increased cost and time to develop the Wii.

I had a Cube already and 3 controllers so for me the Wii hasn't required any extra controllers aside from an extra set of Wii remote + nunchuck. I still don't have a classic controller as I play most of the VC games from the Wii remote or Cube controllers.

I know, but i guess it would have been possible with further research.

The Wii is such a beautiful piece of hardware, i wish i could play all non Wiimote Games with just a classic Controller. Having the old GC Controller hooked to the Wii with this ugly cable destroys a lot of the Novelty factor of the Wii for me.. It's not really a good design i feel somehow. I know i can get a Wavebird, but then i still have to open up the top plate and plug the receiver into there...

I know this is nitpicking somehow, but well, these are my complains.. :)

Ahh...so you must have the Wii standing up in the vertical position in its stand then ehh?

Myself, I have my Wii laying sideways in the horizontal position, and have both the cube controller door and cube memory doors removed permantly on my Wii. I stuck them back in the Wii box in case I ever need to put them back on. But I have 2 Cube controllers plugged into my Wii at all times for Cube and VC gaming goodness.

For those in the market for a Cube controller, check your local Target. I recently picked up a wired controller for $15 and a week later they had a Wavebird for $20. Check the clearance endcaps!

Myself, I have my Wii laying sideways in the horizontal position, and have both the cube controller door and cube memory doors removed permantly on my Wii. I stuck them back in the Wii box in case I ever need to put them back on.

I did the exact same thing. I like that Nintendo made the doors easily removable. Seems they thought people might like to leave their GCN controllers plugged in.

Myself, I have my Wii laying sideways in the horizontal position, and have both the cube controller door and cube memory doors removed permantly on my Wii. I stuck them back in the Wii box in case I ever need to put them back on.

I did the exact same thing. I like that Nintendo made the doors easily removable. Seems they thought people might like to leave their GCN controllers plugged in.

I almost did that, but then I decided to leave the GC out because I still use the GBA adapter. I also have component cables for it, so games that support 480p should look nice.

Does the Wii upscale 480i games to 480p? I only played TP on it and I think that game supported 480p. I'm curious about the older games with no 480p support.

Tempest

I almost did that, but then I decided to leave the GC out because I still use the GBA adapter. I also have component cables for it, so games that support 480p should look nice.

Does the Wii upscale 480i games to 480p? I only played TP on it and I think that game supported 480p. I'm curious about the older games with no 480p support.

Tempest

The Wii (with component cables) will display any GCN game in 480p that supports it. It does not upconvert unsupported games.

However, it will also display all games...VC and Cube in 16:9 if you have the Wii set that way. So if a game doesn't support 16:9 natively, then you might have to adjust your TV to show it properly. I myself don't mind the stretch and leave it as is full screen wide all the time.