IGNORED

Current Jaguar Homebrew Projects

Pocket

Hi Pocket,

Well I'm back coding Jaguar for a while anyway...

I'll be re-releasing "Bounce" and "Bounce+1" with some fixes and a secret bonus. ;-)

Bounce was released for €Jagfest 2001, and was a simple Pong type game 1-2 players.

Bounce+1 was created a year later and included a 4-player mode but turned out buggy.

I nearly ended up creating a Bounce+2 but it started to turn into Bong, my original old

game project, and that seemed rather silly resurrecting something I long abandoned!

I'm finishing off "Looney Lander", it's got abandoned due to lack of time and graphics.

Looney Lander will be action style Lunar Lander game, not a Lunar Lander simulation.

Finishing Looney Lander required some code fixes, and from that I'm creating Shuffle.

Shuffle is for those people who like puzzles, and may include a 2-player compete mode.

The theme is going to be Atari Jaguar. It's a game I'd love to support CD with, but that

is too much of a project for me with the time I have available. I'll do my best anyway.

Yes, the usual syndrome of the Jaguar home-brew developer, concurrent projects...

but all the games are going to be simple games based on a single "template" of sorts.

As usual, for any developer, releases dependent on fate allowing me an opportunity!

Most likely these projects (as demo versions) will be ready only for the JagCode II.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hi Pocket,

Well I'm back coding Jaguar for a while anyway...

I'll be re-releasing "Bounce" and "Bounce+1" with some fixes and a secret bonus. ;-)

Bounce was released for €Jagfest 2001, and was a simple Pong type game 1-2 players.

Bounce+1 was created a year later and included a 4-player mode but turned out buggy.

I nearly ended up creating a Bounce+2 but it started to turn into Bong, my original old

game project, and that seemed rather silly resurrecting something I long abandoned!

I'm finishing off "Looney Lander", it's got abandoned due to lack of time and graphics.

Looney Lander will be action style Lunar Lander game, not a Lunar Lander simulation.

Finishing Looney Lander required some code fixes, and from that I'm creating Shuffle.

Shuffle is for those people who like puzzles, and may include a 2-player compete mode.

The theme is going to be Atari Jaguar. It's a game I'd love to support CD with, but that

is too much of a project for me with the time I have available. I'll do my best anyway.

Yes, the usual syndrome of the Jaguar home-brew developer, concurrent projects...

but all the games are going to be simple games based on a single "template" of sorts.

As usual, for any developer, releases dependent on fate allowing me an opportunity!

Most likely these projects (as demo versions) will be ready only for the JagCode II.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hi Justclaws,

Thank you for the news, I updated the first topic :)

Good luck with your projects !

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well i said it elsewhere i may as well say it here.. my project (if i continue) is action rpg

Are you all alone with that project Owl? RPG is kinda involved for one guy to tackle by his lonesome isnt it?

Yes (for the most part, my wife's helping with design... there may be some help with the modelling too from other quarters, but at the moment its just me)... yes it is, probably too large, and certainly thats part of the motivation problem too.

Well i said it elsewhere i may as well say it here.. my project (if i continue) is action rpg

Are you all alone with that project Owl? RPG is kinda involved for one guy to tackle by his lonesome isnt it?

Yes (for the most part, my wife's helping with design... there may be some help with the modelling too from other quarters, but at the moment its just me)... yes it is, probably too large, and certainly thats part of the motivation problem too.

That should motivate you even more so. :D

Then again...I dont know when to say no to coding as it is.... :P

Atari_Owl, maybe we can crack your motivation up a little? :)

I think it's cool that your wife helps you with the design!

I (and others, I think) am/are still curious about your project, despite the childish behaviour that occurs so many times in the Jaguar "community" :|

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what genre you think would be easiest alone?

Fighter?

Racer? Simple polygons, not too in depth gameplay, just some A.I.?

Overhead view Zelda adventure type? Sounds potentially more involved though.

Edited by JagChris

Just out of curiosity, what genre you think would be easiest alone?

Fighter?

Racer? Simple polygons, not too in depth gameplay, just some A.I.?

Overhead view Zelda adventure type? Sounds potentially more involved though.

I would say each has their pros and cons

For coding: 2D would be easier, at least from the graphics point of view. Its fairly straightfoward to lay down some tiles and plop some sprites on top. Obviously the game design, AI etc would be complicated and very time consuming for the Zelda type.

With the 3D racer... writing a decent poly engine is not trivial on the jag... one could use the ATari code of course but i don't know too much about it... i wrote a new poly engine.

3D fighter or 2D fighter? A 2D fighter would i suspect be the least difficult choice... but the gameplay mechanics would still require a LOT of tuning if one weren't to end up with a DDV or Kasumi Ninja.

Based on my own folly of starting with 3D i'd always say start 2D and go to 3D later if you like it.

Piracy never killed the DC. Software sales were excellent in US & Europe (Japan gamers don't pirate that much). Even when Sega canned the DC and when Big Ben took the distribution in Europe, they were surprised by the excellent sales : 2x more they were expecting for most titles. Without these performances, we would not have seen the last titles released.

If you want the real reason, I suggest you to have a look at the top head of the company : who died, and who had the power next. And a serious look at last DCs Christmas sales vs PS2 (hardware).

I go away for a while, and you're still propagating this nonsense.

Piracy did, in fact, help kill off the DC. The fact is that while software sales were okay (great for Sega published games, not so good for some 3rd parties) Sega was in the sort of financial position where they needed each and every last dime they could make on possible game sales. Piracy made that impossible.

This wasn't PSone, as you seem to think their "strategy" was to "copy" (as if Sony's strategy was to overtly make piracy okay). Sony's console had a much higher userbase with much larger support and game sales when piracy started to take hold than Dreamcast did. It was also backed by a company that wasn't anywhere near the financial hole Sega was in (hundreds of millions of dollars, and hemmoraging money daily supporting the hardware at a loss).

Piracy wasn't THE reason DC was killed off, but it was a factor.

Game sales toward the end were good, but by then Sega was in a deeper financial hole, was facing the prospect of less 3rd party support (and piracy was a factor in this too, btw), and facing the prospect of competing against Sony, Nintendo, AND MS, three companies with much deeper pockets. Piracy was just the icing on the cake making it nigh impossible for Sega to get the most possible game sales as they could from the market.

In your mind that was okay if hardware sales were good. But they weren't, and most importantly the idea is asinine. Hardware doesn't make money for the company until production costs are lowered, and one of the only ways to do that is ramp up production and invest in making it lower cost. The money is, and always has been, in software sales. The software sales for DC were good, but not good enough to make a significant dent in Sega's debt, and never would be so long as piracy was rampant.

You can go around spewing "statements" from "Sega execs from Sega Europe" all you like, but you don't have links, you don't have proof. Meanwhile, ANYONE can do a simple search online of reputable sources and find contrary statements to your beliefs from Sega execs.

spiffyone, the post you are quoting was from september, we had our little conversation later (!).

We don't agree, I had at the time informations you had not, I have no "link to prove it" (again, stop believing in everything you read on the net)

And now, back on topic please :)

We don't agree, I had at the time informations you had not, I have no "link to prove it" (again, stop believing in everything you read on the

Excellent...we understand each other then.

We don't beleive everything and that is why we

don't beleive you concerning Sega's DC demise.

We don't becasue you are the ONLY one I ever

heard expressing this particular theory.

spiffyone, the post you are quoting was from september, we had our little conversation later (!).

Eh...so I didn't remember. I've been away since that time.

We don't agree, I had at the time informations you had not, I have no "link to prove it"

So, in other words...you can't prove anything.

At least you can admit that. That's big of you.

(again, stop believing in everything you read on the net)

Example of irony:

You're telling us not to believe everything we read on the net, and yet we should believe your statements...which are posted on an internet forum.

And now, back on topic please :)

Yes, we (those who don't believe you) are to blame for temporarily derailing the topic. :roll:

• 1 month later...