IGNORED

I just got Pac-Man Jr

Esplin

It just makes you realise all the more that the original 2600 PAC-MAN was rushed,beyond doubt,when seeing PAC-MAN JR!.Rushing out games is something i could never understand,sure the competition was fierce back then,but did nothing but turn people off.I think most game makers couldnt care less about the quality of the games,they just wanted a piece of the pie,before it all crashes down,which it did like a tonne of bricks.

Just got jr pac man at a thrift store last saturday with the original box but minus instructions for $2. Been having a lot of fun playing it. It is vastly superior to ataris first attempt at pac man. Pretty hard too!

In terms of the poor quality of the first pac man, let's remember that at that time home video games were still fairly new and maybe some companys still had no idea what they were dealing with or what they were doing. There is no excuse for rushing games nowadays, but I guess I can understand it happing back then. Especially before the NES renaissance

Just got jr pac man at a thrift store last saturday with the original box but minus instructions for $2. Been having a lot of fun playing it. It is vastly superior to ataris first attempt at pac man. Pretty hard too!

In terms of the poor quality of the first pac man, let's remember that at that time home video games were still fairly new and maybe some companys still had no idea what they were dealing with or what they were doing. There is no excuse for rushing games nowadays, but I guess I can understand it happing back then. Especially before the NES renaissance

Yeah true,BUT,it was admitted by the programmer that he was extremely limited in time and resources,and couldve made a MUCH BETTER VERSION of PAC-MAN if ATARI allowed it.Yes,as the years went by programmers learned new tricks for making better games graphically speaking.MS.PAC-MAN came out LES THAN 1 YEAR AFTER,i dont think technology increased that dramatically in that short of time,just poor programming.Tod Frye programmed the game and if you go to wikipedia it gives the reason for the poor quality which is limited resources and time and money because atari didnt want to put money and time in it as it was rushed.

Edited by Rik

• 1 month later...

Man oh man... I like emulation for reasons like Jr Pac Man; even if someone GAVE it to me I wouldn't want it except to, say, complete a collection or something... you'd have to be a masochist to 'enjoy' that game... Pac-Man I have to just stop playing because the free life for each cleared stage means that nowadays I rack up more lives than I spend each level. Ms Pac-Man, gets challenging eventually and it's fun to beat old scores. But Jr Pac-Man... pit me against 3 or 4 ghosts and I'll be lucky to clear the first maze, and unfortunately when I drop to to 2 or (ugh) even 1 ghost it's way too easy, and not quite like "Pac-Man" when you don't have ghosts hounding you, just popping up occasionally and almost NEVER cornering you. It's like a razors edge trying even out the difficulty!

I will add to the chorus of "awesome game". When I re-bought all my Atari stuff (and a LOT more ) a few years back, I got this with the Atari. I hadn't played it before, and it blew me away. I remember (back when) thinking Pac-Man was pretty weak, and really liking Ms. Pac- but this is something else. Very hard, true, but that is a plus to me. The old games are all about high score, so I like a game that shuts me down quick and makes me try to figure out how to rack up some points. ... That said, I feel good if I make it to the second screen! :)

I remeber the first time I played 2600 Jr. Pac... I didnt even know the game existed. This was about 10 years ago, when I was first starting to collect atari stuff. Found it at Goodwill, probably with a bunch of other games.

After I slammed it into the 2600, i was blown away. Couldnt stop playing it. Then I kinda got out of collecting for a while, and havent played since. Maybe ill boot her up soon.

Some one mentioned Solaris too. I found that game sealed at a dollar store. There were tons of em there! I felt like I found the best atari find ever! I purchaced as many copies as I could afford. After I got home and put the game in, I couldnt belive what came on the TV!

THe graphics blew me away! The game has so much more depth than most atari games.